Solo Clocks 61.18 MPH in Level Flight

Reaction score
Having recently discovered the delights of Drift mode, I decided to clean up the aerodynamic profile of one of my Solos by removing all the camera-related hardware. Specifically, I removed the gimbal and replaced it with just the bare cover plate, which I then covered with, you guessed it, helicopter tape. As the pictures indicate, the naturally attractive Solo looks really sleek with all the camera gear removed.

2017-02-15 19.36.40.jpg

2017-02-15 19.38.43.jpg

Well, as it turns out, it more than just looks fast. With an admittedly strong tailwind, Solex reported a speed of 61.18 mph on one of my level flight passes tonight. And, it wasn't a fluke, as most all the runs were in the 59-61 mph range. Incredibly, my performance settings were both one click shy of maximum. Not too shabby for this big "camera platform!" Can anything DJI do that?

Next on the agenda: Remove the legs. With no camera gear to protect, I should be able to really improve both the drag coefficient and the frontal area.

Does anyone have a sense of whether or not rerouting the antennae to a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the body will create insurmountable problems?

Last edited:
Pretty impressive, especially as the Solo + gimbal has an un-powered terminal velocity of around 50mph or so. Makes me wonder how fast you could get going in a rapid descent. Try ACRO mode next? :)

Reactions: Private Individual
The compass is in one of the legs. You can't just remove it. The antennas are in two other legs, which would probably be fine just hanging down as long as you tape the wires in place.

Proclaiming a speed, then saying there was also a tailwind is pretty disingenuous and isn't saying much. Speed minus the wind would be meaningful.

Proclaiming a speed, then saying there was also a tailwind is pretty disingenuous and isn't saying much. Speed minus the wind would be meaningful.

Excuse me, but my "proclaiming" a speed without acknowledging an "admittedly strong tailwind" would be disingenuous. Tailwind or not, I was amazed by the ability of the Solo and I think most Solo owners will enjoy hearing about their quad's capability.

On the other hand, from what I've observed, your displaying some tact would be "meaningful" in its rarity.

Reactions: FlyXlsa
Regardless, with or without the wind, 61 is cooking it. Have you considered some type of bubble over the gps/battery, just enough to break the flat surface. I would find it interesting if you tried.

Having recently discovered the delights of Drift mode, I decided to clean up the aerodynamic profile of one of my Solos by removing all the camera-related hardware. Specifically, I removed the gimbal and replaced it with just the bare cover plate, which I then covered with, you guessed it, helicopter tape. As the pictures indicate, the naturally attractive Solo looks really sleek with all the camera gear removed.

View attachment 5408

View attachment 5409

Well, as it turns out, it more than just looks fast. With an admittedly strong tailwind, Solex reported a speed of 61.18 mph on one of my level flight passes tonight. And, it wasn't a fluke, as most all the runs were in the 59-61 mph range. Incredibly, my performance settings were both one click shy of maximum. Not too shabby for this big "camera platform!" Can anything DJI do that?

Next on the agenda: Remove the legs. With no camera gear to protect, I should be able to really improve both the drag coefficient and the frontal area.

Does anyone have a sense of whether or not rerouting the antennae to a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the body will create insurmountable problems?
Very cool! So you just put it in drift and floored it?
I don't know what would happen if you removed the legs and just taped the antennae along the side but I'd like to find out.
Let us know how it works out!:D

I averaged 54 mph upwind+ downwind/2.

The limiting factor I ran into was down force and thrust vector causing Solo to lose altitude over 45 mph. Tilting the motors or streamlining the flat top battery may yield a few more mph but why? I believe 3DR claimed a 55 mph top speed so close enough, they didn't mention the dive.

I've seen downwind runs of 68 mph but with a 15 mph tailwind.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Excuse me, but my "proclaiming" a speed without acknowledging an "admittedly strong tailwind" would be disingenuous. Tailwind or not, I was amazed by the ability of the Solo and I think most Solo owners will enjoy hearing about their quad's capability.

On the other hand, from what I've observed, your displaying some tact would be "meaningful" in its rarity.
I am blunt. Deal with it. Points all remain.

The compass module in the leg will be a problem to move. It needs to be in roughly the same orientation as stock to be accurate. You might be able to reposition it and do a compass cal well enough to fool the Pixhawk preflight checks.
The WiFi antennas can be moved but expect a decrease in range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I averaged 54 mph upwind+ downwind/2.

The limiting factor I ran into was down force and thrust vector causing Solo to lose altitude over 45 mph. Tilting the motors or streamlining the flat top battery may yield a few more mph but why? I believe 3DR claimed a 55 mph top speed so close enough, they didn't mention the dive.

I've seen downwind runs of 68 mph but with a 15 mph tailwind.

Awesome! Sounds like a racer- Acro mode?. How many flights on one batt?

Reactions: speatuk
Awesome! Sounds like a racer- Acro mode?. How many flights on one batt?

My first three Solo batteries got to a point I was getting less than 10 minute flight time and below 25% the voltage dropped rapidly so I gave them away. I'm sure with the ACRO, speed tests and heat here in Vegas my batteries wore out quicker than normal. With the recent price drop on batteries I purchased 4 spares as well as two BB combos with spare batteries, so I have a lot of batteries now.

My flight times are now about 15 minutes with a new battery and 11" APC props, even at altitude. Funny how much crap Solo gets; I've had this Solo about two years and it's still plugging away. I purchased two spare Solo's but have yet to take them out of the box.

During the time I have had this single Solo my P3P wore out and fell apart, my P4 isn't doing so well, even my H has been back to Yuneec; so my Solo is my backup drone but see's more flight time than the others. Here the same Solo in ACRO over a year ago, then a month ago flying backup since the H is in the shop and DJI GO sucks.

...Funny how much crap Solo gets; I've had this Solo about two years and it's still plugging away. I purchased two spare Solo's but have yet to take them out of the box.

During the time I have had this single Solo my P3P wore out and fell apart, my P4 isn't doing so well, even my H has been back to Yuneec; so my Solo is my backup drone but see's more flight time than the others. Here the same Solo in ACRO over a year ago, then a month ago flying backup since the H is in the shop and DJI GO sucks.

Great insight and I've enjoyed your videos immensely since I first discovered them a couple of months ago. And, you, my friend, have "the right stuff!"

The compass module in the leg will be a problem to move. It needs to be in roughly the same orientation as stock to be accurate. You might be able to reposition it and do a compass cal well enough to fool the Pixhawk preflight checks.
The WiFi antennas can be moved but expect a decrease in range.

Thanks for that, Andrew. Perhaps I'll do a little non-destructive testing by just relocating the antennae first. Have you tried that?

Very cool! So you just put it in drift and floored it?
I don't know what would happen if you removed the legs and just taped the antennae along the side but I'd like to find out.
Let us know how it works out!:D

I flew it about 800-1000 feet downrange to an altitude of 300 feet, turned it toward me, and, yep, just "floored it." All right stick in Drift mode. Didn't touch the left stick. Pretty fun stuff for a drone noob like me. :)

Reactions: Maddog
Regardless, with or without the wind, 61 is cooking it. Have you considered some type of bubble over the gps/battery, just enough to break the flat surface. I would find it interesting if you tried.

Please Rich! Don't get me thinking! I have real work to do...On the other hand...I'll keep you posted. :)

Pretty impressive, especially as the Solo + gimbal has an un-powered terminal velocity of around 50mph or so. Makes me wonder how fast you could get going in a rapid descent. Try ACRO mode next? :)

Acro mode? As the expression goes, that's currently "above my pay grade."

Does anyone know of a good discussion/post/video on quad flight dynamics so that a noob pilot could better understand what happens on both the vehicle and controller ends in Acro mode? I've looked but haven't found much of anything beyond copious warnings.

I am blunt. Deal with it. Points all remai
The compass is in one of the legs. You can't just remove it. The antennas are in two other legs, which would probably be fine just hanging down as long as you tape the wires in place.

Read the post before you comment. It seems like OP new he had to reroute the antennas.

Read the post before you comment. It seems like OP new he had to reroute the antennas.
I did. And I'm aware. I posted my complete thought on the matter of moving/removing the legs. It's called being thorough and complete, which I am in most if not all of my posts. Even if it is restating something important that has already been said.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea