Solo batteries not being shipped to Australia

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have recently purchased my first drone (Solo). I am however having some issues trying to source spare batteries at a reasonable price. Here in Aus a single battery costs between $198 - $280 $A. Rediculous! I managed to source some from the US from various sellers at between $80 - $110 $Aus including freight. Sounds great right?! Not so. The EBay global shipping rejects them as a restricted item even though the seller is keen to ship them! Anyone manage to get their batteries in (legally) without issues? Can anyone recommend a courier? Frustrating as I've had 4 purchases rejected thus far!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you looked into reship.com?
https://www.reship.com

Or:
3DR Solo Smart Battery

I don't know anything about it but another member posted it here a while back.

Does Aus have any import restrictions on lipo batteries?

You're probably already aware, but batteries are scarce here too.

This doesn't sound good: don't know if this applies to UPS, FedEx, etc.
Dangerous & prohibited items

Last edited:
Have you looked into reship.com?
https://www.reship.com

Or:
3DR Solo Smart Battery

I don't know anything about it but another member posted it here a while back.

Does Aus have any import restrictions on lipo batteries?

You're probably already aware, but batteries are scarce here too.

This doesn't sound good: don't know if this applies to UPS, FedEx, etc.
Dangerous & prohibited items

What gets me though is that I can buy a full Solo and controller (batteries and all) and it's ok, but if I buy the batteries individually, they get rejected! The sellers must feel the frustration also, my last one now has issued an alert "can't post to Australia"! Aaarg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the restriction is around lipo/lion batteries that are 'not inserted in their original equipment'.
USPS, AusPost and probably most postal services have the restriction because of them 'piggybacking' their mail on commercial passenger flights (who dont allow separate lithium batteries)
Ebay global shipping of course uses the cheapest possible carriage they can find

Fedex/UPS/DHL etc probably will carry it (on their own aircraft) but at a special rate as a dangerous goods item.

I've had 2 complete solo's (including the 1 battery) shipped via USPS to Australia no problem. All my spare batteries from BestBuy, I've had friends carry back for me on flights.

I'm not sure how a battery plugged into a Solo is any safer than one on it's own * sigh *

Reactions: Maddog
Had the same problem, order 4 batteries from the US, all good and then EBay global shipping stopped it, must be because of the lipo. Had to buy two in Aust, what a rip off compared to the US.

Dhl will ship them , the problem is getting someone to go to the trouble. None of the freight forwarders will do it.

Dhl will ship them , the problem is getting someone to go to the trouble. None of the freight forwarders will do it.
Any idea what DHL would charge to ship batteries?
They seem to be pretty expensive for international shipping in general.

Hi I have two brand new unopened solo Batts. Friend Brought them in from USA and whilst they were travelling I stacked my Solo into the Sea!!!

$250 for two new batts C/W spare controller with WI FI Upgrade ( you'll need to upgrade Solo - well worth it ) and extended grip for large phone. Unopened new charger, Original Charger, One original battery - good condition, Used Props back pack and loose spares.

Tim Melbourne
0418 316 291

Reactions: Barramundi
interesting thing is that the cameron sino batteries are shipped outside US.....

Hi I have two brand new unopened solo Batts. Friend Brought them in from USA and whilst they were travelling I stacked my Solo into the Sea!!!

$250 for two new batts C/W spare controller with WI FI Upgrade ( you'll need to upgrade Solo - well worth it ) and extended grip for large phone. Unopened new charger, Original Charger, One original battery - good condition, Used Props back pack and loose spares.

Tim Melbourne
0418 316 291

Tim, sent you a message. Sorry to hear about the mishap. My bingles have been land based...thus far...

Flock of seaguls flew in while you were looking the other way apparently.

Lol! Yep, bit of a bugger, my work excludes me from using phone and Internet during working hours... Aargh, Really am missing my flying time with my son. Well at least someone got some benefit out of the thread. Oh well, next time!

Lol! Yep, bit of a bugger, my work excludes me from using phone and Internet during working hours... Aargh, Really am missing my flying time with my son. Well at least someone got some benefit out of the thread. Oh well, next time!

G'day Mate<

I had the same problem shipping in two batteries from the States to South Africa. Used Reship who supplied me with a USA Address and they got DHL to ship to me at an extra cost of USD$179.00

Did discuss the whole matter with a Daniela De La Torre of DHL (US) who said if I dealt with them directly it would have cost around $90 plus normal shipping costs but it was worth engaging Reship who sorted out all the necessary payment.

TryDHL or Reship and good luck mate

Eddie Durban South Africa

Thanks Ed. I'll give them a try. I'm surprised that with all the interest from "down under" that the suppliers haven't set something up with DHL or other companies that actually allow the battery transport. It would vastly increase their sales in this line of product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have recently purchased my first drone (Solo). I am however having some issues trying to source spare batteries at a reasonable price. Here in Aus a single battery costs between $198 - $280 $A. Rediculous! I managed to source some from the US from various sellers at between $80 - $110 $Aus including freight. Sounds great right?! Not so. The EBay global shipping rejects them as a restricted item even though the seller is keen to ship them! Anyone manage to get their batteries in (legally) without issues? Can anyone recommend a courier? Frustrating as I've had 4 purchases rejected thus far!

Hi from Sapphire Beach, Coffs Harbour. I don't understand why ebay global shipping won't hand this for you or your seller, especially given that my Solo package came via ebay global/DHL. My seller plastered labels all over it, plus eBay and DHL had really good papers that were stuck on the outside of the package. There was ebay global tape all around it too.
It's a pain. I want to two extra batteries too. So lets look at how we can get a done deal.
Cheers

Travelling safely with batteries and portable power packs | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

As you can see the issue is all around lithium batteries in 'CHECKED' baggage. Hence when a postal carrier piggy backs their mail on a commercial passenger flight, it's effectively the same thing.

If the battery is installed in the device (eg a Solo) then it's ok in either checked or carryon... hence why a complete solo can be shipped just fine.

Personally I'd rather they put a restriction on the way spare batteries have to be packaged (eg in approved fireproof bags), and a maximum qty per person/shipment (eg 250WH worth), but alas everyone outside the US has to suffer for the time being.

Reactions: Gren
Travelling safely with batteries and portable power packs | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

As you can see the issue is all around lithium batteries in 'CHECKED' baggage. Hence when a postal carrier piggy backs their mail on a commercial passenger flight, it's effectively the same thing.

If the battery is installed in the device (eg a Solo) then it's ok in either checked or carryon... hence why a complete solo can be shipped just fine.

Personally I'd rather they put a restriction on the way spare batteries have to be packaged (eg in approved fireproof bags), and a maximum qty per person/shipment (eg 250WH worth), but alas everyone outside the US has to suffer for the time being.

Agree. But when my solo was shipped one battery was installed in drone, the other in the carry bag. Guess we have to keep probing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc