solo app question

Reaction score
I have been flying with iPhone 6 plus and everything has worked great. I purchased a Samsung galaxy tab s 10.5 tablet to use the tower app. I was able to connect with solo and get the video feed working but I am not getting a map when you swipe from the right like with the iphone. Does it load the map based on solo position or the tablets. I brought up tower app and it loaded the map. First Android device so just asking for a little help. I took the solo out to 1800 ft. Yesterday and the map was critical to bring it back to me.I was flying over a corn field and it was difficult to tell from camera image solos orientation from my position.

You have to cache the maps (save them) to the device while on internet to get them to work when you are off internet and connected to Solo.

Since your iphone was cellular it could get maps via cell data while your wireless was connected to Solo.

Thanks rcmccabe. I have phone turned on and set as a Internet hotspot. Having solo connected and phone connected not sure if that puts the solo in priority and not downloading through phone.

The app apparently does not work for multi routing so you cant get that to work. I tried that as well.

Only fix is to save your maps.

Okay thanks I'll do some reading on how to do that. Have a host of Apple devices. Wish had tower for apple. Thanks for your help. Do you cache to the device or to tower?

Well here is how. It caches the maps via the Solo app.

Tower uses Google maps differently so that's a different approach. I did not use tower enough to perfect the maps. Just as a FYI tower has some bugs. Seems to work OK once you get past first waypoint but can take off in the wrong direction getting to the first one. Be ready to hit pause on your controller if it does. Oh yea.. when you hit pause on the controller it is going to crash the tower app but not a big deal.

http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/offline-maps-on-solo-with-video.427/

Okay thanks I'll do some reading on how to do that. Have a host of Apple devices. Wish had tower for apple. Thanks for your help. Do you cache to the device or to tower?

Thanks a lot for the link and your help! Have enjoyed reading a lot of your other posts on here. Is the another mission planning app that you use to fly with?

Thanks a lot for the link and your help! Have enjoyed reading a lot of your other posts on here. Is the another mission planning app that you use to fly with?

I actually sent my Solo back so not using anything. Tower seemed to be about the best for what I was doing.

Yes it's half way to California. I have a p3p now. I might buy the new p3 standard when it's out. It's cheap and be great for missions and easier to lose.

Yes it's half way to California. I have a p3p now. I might buy the new p3 standard when it's out. It's cheap and be great for missions and easier to lose.
I saw you had several complaints with it. So far I do like mine. It's a work in progress just like the inspire when it hit. I dealt with that so I think I'll bear through the pains of the solo. P3 is my favorite to do random videos with as its small and easy to get up and going. I do find myself flying the solo just for fun though. The Lamborghini(inspire) ain't getting much flight time either. Once I get the gimbal for solo who knows what my preferred one will be.

Well I am thinking when inspire 2 hits my wife needs to get a second job. Lol

There is something to be said for p3. It's a power up and go rig. Could not be easier.

Reactions: Boogieman
Well here is how. It caches the maps via the Solo app.

Tower uses Google maps differently so that's a different approach. I did not use tower enough to perfect the maps. Just as a FYI tower has some bugs. Seems to work OK once you get past first waypoint but can take off in the wrong direction getting to the first one. Be ready to hit pause on your controller if it does. Oh yea.. when you hit pause on the controller it is going to crash the tower app but not a big deal.

http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/offline-maps-on-solo-with-video.427/
You can also just hit Fly. I learned early (after my first failed try) to start missions with Solo in the air, close to the first waypoint :) Works very well that way.

Yea that would be better and not crash Tower !

I started the mission a few times and when took off at what seemed like 100mph towards my house (yea I know not possible) all I could think about was pause and I wonder if there is clean underwear in my drawer.

Yea that would be better and not crash Tower !

I started the mission a few times and when took off at what seemed like 100mph towards my house (yea I know not possible) all I could think about was pause and I wonder if there is clean underwear in my drawer.
Yes. Another thing for people to keep in mind is that in addition to it doing what you told it (including flying into a tree) it is easy to set up missions that go so fast laterally from waypoint to waypoint, that your Solo loses altitude trying to get from place to place in the time allotted. Do that low enough and long enough, and you are in the dirt.

You know I never really thought about it losing altitude with Tower. I assumed the speed was locked to the GPS speed at 33 ish.

Not so?

You know I never really thought about it losing altitude with Tower. I assumed the speed was locked to the GPS speed at 33 ish.

Not so?
Waypoint speeds are below the pitch threshold of dropping in altitude unless you manually change the default WP speed.

OK. I was thinking mine maxed at 33. So that just leaves running into trees :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc