Solo and FLIR Vue Pro R Gimbal

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to convert the Hero standard gimbal to fit the FLIR Vue Pro R with its HDMI and Power adapter? I saw the one on OEM Camera, but at 1900.00 it is a little pricey for a volunteer fire department in the wilds of North Idaho. Helps to spot fires when you are in a tunnel of 150 trees. Any Help?

I think any integrated flir/gimbal setup is going to be expensive. The camera alone is the big cost factor. Gimbals are relatively cheap. I'd suggest buying an integrated setup, unless your into heavy mod'ing. Surely you could obtain funding from a variety of sources or efforts...

To answer your question, the Solo gimbal likely is not convertible to another camera platform, flir or otherwise. One of the members here dismantled a gimbal, it appears its dis-assembly is destructive. I known of no one having attempted a conversion yet, but with prices down it could open up a few attempts by others. It would be cool if it could be done.

I've been looking at the Flir setup and agree the gimbals seem to be a bit crazy. Take for instance the Inspire Flir XT R setup. The camera Tau2 has a price of $6,900 if purchased alone, but $11,500 with the gimbal. That's $4,600 for the gimbal.

This made me start looking at the Solo as an alternative.

Flir Vue Pro R $4,700 plus OEM Cameras Flir Gimbal for the Solo $1,950 = $6,650. A relative bargin compared to the Inspire alternative.

FLIR systems have come way down in price, with those now suitable and affordable for smaller agencies and commercial use - but darn, still a lot of $$$. I have a FLIR system on my patrol boat and it's the bees knees, but a FLIR on a drone would mean everything to Search and Rescue. Would be even better if Solo could actually take off (arm) from a boat! :(

Hi all,
I am trying to build a business case for an insurance company fire expert who wishes me to record remains of houses & building fires in order to locate the hottest point(s) (to be done in the 12-24hours after the fire extinguished).
1- Has anyone experience of such flights ?
2- Quick $$$ assumption: $7,000 for the FLIR, if amortized over 2 yrs, at a rate of 1 flight per month, it means that each flight should be charged $300-350 just for the thermal film, so probably twice this value when considering all costs, plus margin.
I'd be happy to share comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried to convert the Hero standard gimbal to fit the FLIR Vue Pro R with its HDMI and Power adapter? I saw the one on OEM Camera, but at 1900.00 it is a little pricey for a volunteer fire department in the wilds of North Idaho. Helps to spot fires when you are in a tunnel of 150 trees. Any Help?
Hey Stuart. We're looking at purchasing a FLIR Pro Vue or R to use in wildland fire applications and I was just curious if you have any updates on how you've used yours?
Thanks for anything you might be able to share.
Rich

I have not done anything, other than looking at this site and also the occasional web search. I hope the cost of the gimbal will come down. What I have been doing on a practical basis is just setting the camera at a 45 degree angle and using it that way. Got great shots of ice rescue training at night. You can see the differences in the ice thickness with the camera. The safety lines change color as they get colder with time. So far so good. Also tested with burn piles and what looked like in visible light as a small fire looked like a big fire. The heat column is quite visible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc