Solo alternative gimbal

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had a little search around the forum and can't seem to find what I want to know, I have a solo and a hero5. The hero 5 won't fit the STD gimbal so I was wondering what the alternatives are for adding even a basic gimbal to my set up? I have seen some 1 axis wearable gimbals with built in power that look like they would mount to the STD gopro mount and give some stabilization. Most of the non solo gimbals I've seen don't seem to be self powered and not being too technical I wouldn't want to do much modifying get to something attached and working. Thanks in advance for any advice! Simon...in not so sunny Wales UK!!

I think the biggest drawback is you won't get any live feed so all you will get is a vidao and no FPV on the controller. You would be better off to get a used GP 4 and use the gimbal.

Hi all, I've had a little search around the forum and can't seem to find what I want to know, I have a solo and a hero5. The hero 5 won't fit the STD gimbal so I was wondering what the alternatives are for adding even a basic gimbal to my set up? I have seen some 1 axis wearable gimbals with built in power that look like they would mount to the STD gopro mount and give some stabilization. Most of the non solo gimbals I've seen don't seem to be self powered and not being too technical I wouldn't want to do much modifying get to something attached and working. Thanks in advance for any advice! Simon...in not so sunny Wales UK!!
Sorry Simon, @DaveB is correct and flying without seeing what the camera sees is difficult, and the more you fly the more you realize this, especially if you’re shooting for fluid, seamless clips with a specific subject, say a property or landmark along with its surroundings. One time I tried flying using the GoPro WiFi connection (not through the Solo, as I was having livefeed issues with the latter) but range became a problem. So unless you’re (only) flying low and close by and just “looking around”, it could work, and I understand sometimes we just have to work with what we have. Good luck flying your solo!

Sorry Simon, @DaveB is correct and flying without seeing what the camera sees is difficult, and the more you fly the more you realize this, especially if you’re shooting for fluid, seamless clips with a specific subject, say a property or landmark along with its surroundings. One time I tried flying using the GoPro WiFi connection (not through the Solo, as I was having livefeed issues with the latter) but range became a problem. So unless you’re (only) flying low and close by and just “looking around”, it could work, and I understand sometimes we just have to work with what we have. Good luck flying your solo!
Thanks for the advice chaps, I was hoping that someone may have experimented with something along these lines SOOCOO PS2 Wearable Camera Stabilizer Steadicam Gimbal For GoPro SJCAM Xiaomi Yi | eBay ( not sure if links work / are allowed ) but this is basically a single axis wearable gimbal that should work with a hero5 , has a solo/gopro mount and looks like it would still leave access to the HDMI port to use the live feed as normal? I don't mind having no control over the camera or the gimbal whilst flying if it would do any kind of decent job improving the quality/stability of the captured footage. I only do it for fun and like to take stills of some of the beautiful countryside I'm lucky enough to be on the doorstep of....
9fd7ae1e11d57127783f5ac589ee12ae.jpg
1cc5911073a712a6fe8f72195a773cd5.jpg
6c748b892b4a5ac6f3225f6408b7c2ab.jpg
5dcca49a8f9c372ed06c7f128fa49f56.jpg

Reactions: Travelfox
Yes the Link works. And I would try it myself. I’m sure if it doesn’t work with the solo you can find other use for the gimbal. Also nice shots! I like the one with boat very much. And it must be low tide?

I think you're right, I've also seen a two axis phone gimbal I fancy having a tinker with and like you say I can always find another use for them! The ship is the SS Duke of Lancaster and it was sailed into a concrete dock on the Dee estuary in the 1980s briefly operating as the funship market, it's still intact inside and somebody appears to be singlehandedly trying to renovate it at the moment?!
4b0ee74e41bfaa578450e6a43b028a9e.jpg

Reactions: Travelfox

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig