Solo 2.1 arriving

Reaction score
If you own a solo and plan to fly it for a long time, do yourself a favor and jump to the cube and master. You can now flash solo direct to the PH 2.1 via solex
Boat Mode is here
Master has been tuned for solo

Check out the mod club on Facebook and remember to thank those who worked their butt off to get it working. No small task.
Green Cube, Master Arducopter and a Here GPS truly make solo a new bird with a long future

Last edited:
If you own a solo and plan to fly it for a long time, do yourself a favor and jump to master. You can now flash solo direct to the PH 2.1 via solex
Boat Mode is here

Check out the mod club on Facebook and remember to thank those who worked their butt off to get it working. No small task.
Green Cube, Master Arducopter and a Here GPS truly make solo a new bird with a long future
Thanks @pyrate and to all those who put in the time, and broken Solos, to get this done.

Can you, or anyone really, briefly explain the different Pixhawk/cube/Arducopter configurations that we can currently use on a Solo?

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
Pedals lead the charge and Kelly made nice changes in solex
As far as configurations I don't follow. Do you mean what is available?
Well I saw someone has resurrected the optical flow that was sidelined after 3Dr downgraded the copter version.
Others are hooking up the IMX6 to new cube carrier boards and paring with the solo controller to fly any DIY platform you want to build
We know there are a few un-released canbus things coming
The new Here GPS is real nice, about half the price of MRO and can be mounted up and away from the solo electronics, it also has its own compass that means you can disable the one in the leg. And if one were so inclined add the Here+ RTK GPs

You can also add long range radios now, IE night raptor RFD900x radios
My plans are to put a Here on mine that is flying master, then add better wifi antenna on the side of solo. Meaning nothing will be left in the legs.
Then wait and see what they come out with for optical flow and or lidar

Last edited:
Reactions: Wetstone
And of course once you no longer have antennas and a compass in the legs, the next logical thing is retracts :). It's like a disease that keeps propagating. Very similar to Jeep parts :)

I'm fine with my semi-stock at the moment, but I do appreciate your efforts Matt. No doubt the integration was dead until you stepped up. Kelly's no slacker either, impressive to make Solex so versatile on multiple levels. And I'm expecting Jubal to break the gimbal code any day....

With all involved, it's an impressive combination.

Reactions: Hassentassen
As far as configurations I don't follow. Do you mean what is available?
If I may add my confusion: when I go to proficnc.com I see that the Pixhawk 2.1 is black. Poking around (Store->3DR Solo Accessories) I find the green cube "Pixhawk 2.1 for Solo only" but with the caution "Only with Dev Branch EXPERIMENTAL".

So .. Is the black 2.1 the finalized non-experimental version or is the green a version adapted (different connector, electrical characteristics, whatever) specifically for the Solo?

It says experimental because using it in the solo is experimental. It is exactly the same as black 2.1 except the internal signalling jumper is preset for 5 volt... and it's green.

Reactions: NightStorm
All I can tell you is due to some brave souls on here, it was once a very high risk endeavor
Now it is fairly stable and easy.
I am sure it will continue to prove out. The ardupilot team seems committed to eventually placing solo into the full dev cycle making it part of the future of arducopter.
Remember the same guy making the Cube, made the PH2 in solo.
The black Cube is out of beta and is flying in some really crazy new systems. I saw a kayak fitted with a trolling motor being autonomously controlled with PH2 and Ardu. The plan is to put radar / sonar on it for mapping and searching the bottom of bodies of water.

Reactions: Wetstone
Where can we find all these upgrades? Can you provide links?

If you own a solo and plan to fly it for a long time, do yourself a favor and jump to the cube and master. You can now flash solo direct to the PH 2.1 via solex
Boat Mode is here

Hey Pyrate, if I opt to do this, do I still need to install the new GPS shields I just purchased (whenever they arrive)?

Hey Pyrate.. If we upgrade to these would I still need to I install the new GPS shields that I just purchased?

Hey Pyrate, if I opt to do this, do I still need to install the new GPS shields I just purchased (whenever they arrive)?
if you have a stock or mro yes use the shield. im running a rev b and shield right now. if you opt out to the here then no you dont need it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea