Solex for Solo

Sorry for the bad description of my question. Your'e right. I tried this and it works
But it is not the same as in the solo app.
Is this the same procedure when want to save maps for cablecam, orbit etc.

Last edited:
Has anybody an idea how to cache offline maps in Solex App when only WiFi is available

Thanks for help

If you are trying to use a map in Map View, are using a WiFi only tablet, and have a mobile phone that you can enable a mobile hotspot, then you can try this:
1) Go to your flying site
2) Enable mobile hotspot on your phone
3) Connect your tablet WiFi to your mobile hotspot network
4) Open Solex and click the Map View button - the map should load
5) Disable the mobile hotspot on your phone
6) Continue with your normal preflight checklist and routine making sure to connect you tablet to the Sololink network
7) Map View should maintain your map even though you are now on the Sololink network with no Internet access

Let me know if it works - I tried this while at home a few weeks ago, but haven't tested it in the field.

A question for Kelly Schrock: I'm trying to solve a mystery. A few times I have launched and selected a Cable Cam in Saved Shots, however there are no additional prompts (Fly me there...). Instead, I have been prompted to press 'A' to start a Cable Cam. Other times everything works flawlessly. For background, for various reasons I may switch between Solex, the Solo App, and Tower (terminating each app, each time, on my ASUS Nexus 7 tablet). Could this problem be related to an unfortunate equipment startup sequence, or to a chunk of code intended to save me from an operator error or an unfortunate system state?

I gave up using Solex on my Nexus 7. Every time I tried to use it for anything beyond basic flight it would become extremely unresponsive to screen touches (I have just the bare screen, no protector). Each time I tried Solex on the device I would end up aborting it and switching to the Solo app. mid flight.

Following the recommendations elsewhere in this forum I here I ended up buying a Shield. It works way better.

I have similar issues with my Nexus 7. After some experimenting, it appears that the problem is related to how the device functions when clamped in the Solo Controller's tablet/phone holder. If I remove the tablet, I can use an inexpensive stylus to tap-select with no problems. If I insert the tablet in the holder, I often must resort to using my fingers from different angles to the screen to select something. Not fun!

My latest thought is to make an extender plate from one or more layers of foamboard, then use dots of Velcro to attach/detach the tablet. In the field, insert the plate into the holder, then attach the tablet. Maybe someone will suggest a better approach.

A question for Kelly Schrock: I'm trying to solve a mystery. A few times I have launched and selected a Cable Cam in Saved Shots, however there are no additional prompts (Fly me there...). Instead, I have been prompted to press 'A' to start a Cable Cam. Other times everything works flawlessly. For background, for various reasons I may switch between Solex, the Solo App, and Tower (terminating each app, each time, on my ASUS Nexus 7 tablet). Could this problem be related to an unfortunate equipment startup sequence, or to a chunk of code intended to save me from an operator error or an unfortunate system state?
Go to both of these links to Videos in my Sig, Below this post in green. Plus you can read the Help doc. that comes with Solex. It's always being updated.
Hope all this helps.

Last edited:
I have similar issues with my Nexus 7. After some experimenting, it appears that the problem is related to how the device functions when clamped in the Solo Controller's tablet/phone holder. If I remove the tablet, I can use an inexpensive stylus to tap-select with no problems. If I insert the tablet in the holder, I often must resort to using my fingers from different angles to the screen to select something. Not fun!

My latest thought is to make an extender plate from one or more layers of foamboard, then use dots of Velcro to attach/detach the tablet. In the field, insert the plate into the holder, then attach the tablet. Maybe someone will suggest a better approach.
Interesting observation. I'd go back and experiment again but the NVidia K1 is working out great.

I have similar issues with my Nexus 7.

I am also using a Nexus 7 and having issues with the Cable Cam "Fly me there".

I can setup a Cable Cam and run it just fine. I can use "Fly me there" to go from the end of the run back to the start as long as I have not quit that CC.

Once I exit out of the CC and try to use it again I have problems. When I select a Cable Cam from the saved shots list I get the pop-up screen with the big arrow asking if I want to "Fly me there" once pressed I immediately get the screen that asks Move or Fly in place.

Selecting "Move" instantly initiates Guided modes with the Solo sitting in place with almost no response to sticks. It will yaw and move to the right (I think following the CC from the new location); will not go up or down. It will also allow me to use the play icon and will fly the CC from it's current location.

I have no way to get back to the start of a saved CC. I have uninstalled Solex and tried again with the same results. Don't know what setting I am missing or what the issue with the Nexus 7 might be. A Nexus 7 is about as Android as you can get. Early versions of Solex flew CC fine without these issues.

Anyone using Pano mode in Solex? I have a Hero 4B with a Peau lens and I find that there is insufficient overlap in the photos to stitch them together. When I do a Spherical Pano it always takes 15 shots. Setting the two sliders (angle and rate) make no changes to this.
Tried to find something in the manual but looks like the feature set has overtaken the documentation. ;)

Anyone using Pano mode in Solex? I have a Hero 4B with a Peau lens and I find that there is insufficient overlap in the photos to stitch them together. When I do a Spherical Pano it always takes 15 shots. Setting the two sliders (angle and rate) make no changes to this.
Tried to find something in the manual but looks like the feature set has overtaken the documentation. ;)

There is a modified Pano Smart Shot you can try: Modified Pano Smart Shot - Sphere

Update: Touchscreen response is much better after using four strips of black foamcore board, stuck together with carpet tape, then adding a 2" wide strip of 10lb Velcro. There is a slight tablet wobble when pressing with a stylus, but no signs of the tablet being at risk of detaching, and the touch response rate is much higher. Images attached. IMG_2346.JPG

Last edited:
In Solex (or any other app) is there a way to automate orbit height, the camera angle, speed of orbit and shutter speed for 3D imaging or surveying?

From Kelly Schrock post @ FB

Kelly Schrock shared a link.
4 hrs
Solex 1.4.2 is on its way to your devices!

I'm leaving for a business trip on Monday, and wanted to get this out before then. So here's what's in this update:

. Dynamic ROI in Missions

This is a refined version of what was in that "Dynamic ROI" video I put up last Sunday. Essentially, it allows you to set a ROI (Region Of Interest) in a mission without having an explicit "Set ROI" command in the mission itself. For example, let's say you have a mission flying around a certain area, and you're in a vehicle or on foot in that area. You can select "Me" from the "ROI" options in the Mission Layer, and your copter will turn to point at you and track you as you move. You can select "Touch" and it will turn to point at whatever location you touch on the map. In a later version, I'll add support for Solex Target. The video below shows the copter flying around a field with me in it. At one point I switch from a Touch ROI (pointing at my car) to pointing at me. It's otherwise just a normal spline-type mission flying around a field. Later today, I hope to make a mission where it's following me in a vehicle, so I can test/demo the location prediction the app is doing.

. Increase max circle radius on missions

Someone asked for the ability to make larger circles in missions. I think the max value was 50 meters before, and now it's 200. That's a huge circle, but there you go.

. Fix missing "Missions Doc" button

It seems some people were unable to find the "Missions Doc" button. It turns out that was a bug, which has been fixed. You should be able to see it now.

. Mission Jump command

This is really handy if you're doing a mission where you want it to repeat part of a mission. Suppose you have a set of points you want to fly 4 times over and over, and then continue and finish the mission. You can do that with Jumps. It works pretty well with Movable ROIs, for example if you'd like to fly a certain path a number of times, while looking at a moving object or different points.

. Mission YawCondition command

This lets you specify a specific Yaw when the copter arrives at a waypoint in a mission.

. Mission SetRelay command

Really not much different than running an in-app command at a specific waypoint, but this variant of "Set Relay" is on the vehicle itself, so it will run in the mission even if you've flown far enough away that you lose contact with it.

. Fixed bug in battery stats

The flight counts for batteries should seriously be correct now. Really!

. Fixed "Spinning HDR shot" issue

Someone found a weird case where if you do an HDR shot while pointing the camera straight down, the copter would spin in place. It wasn't really an actual spin, it was just the copter moving to try to keep the subject in view as it drifts around slightly.

. Minor layout fixes

With "Advanced Mode" turned on, the flight-mode indicator on the flight screen is a drop-down, which was previously large enough to crowd the altitude and distance fields on smaller devices. I reduced the size of the drop-down, which should help with this. If it continues to be an issue, I'll make the entire view scrollable.
1f642.png
:)

Here's a video of my Solo flying around doing a couple of ROIs, and otherwise just having fun in a wide-open space.

Have a good week, everyone. I'll be glad to be back from the trip.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi...!
I am having problems with the gopro 3+silver and 3+black (have to try the 4 black) with the 3dr app... so my question is...
Wich gopro firmware is supported by Solex?

Hi...!
I am having problems with the gopro 3+silver and 3+black (have to try the 4 black) with the 3dr app... so my question is...
Wich gopro firmware is supported by Solex?
Solo & Solex supports all GP F/W.
That said, keep in mind that 3DR has stopped updating Solo for a while now. Any Ver. above 3.0 of GP, has a flaw that doesn't allow the GP to turn on with Solo. one needs to turn on the GP, before flying.
The later updates 4 & 5 from GP, offer other nice features that the Solo app & Solex App. have access to.
All this Info. in much more detail, can be found by using the search function of this site.

Happy Flying

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo