Solex App for Android

Looks like some people are little delicate when given constructive criticism. As it was an opinion from one of the ťhousands of people who do not see the need for Solex the end wrappup seemed amusing. I will end here as the mood seems to swing towards the petulant.

I heartily encorage you to continue and wish you well in that endevour, but as advised it is not for me and will not likely be. More so now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
But your criticism wasn't constructive.
You seemed upset that Solex wouldn't unbox, preflight, and fly Solo for you whilst simultaneously capturing Oscar-worthy video.
You then seemed miffed that its creator might possibly profit from his work.
I dunno. I really can't see any petulism here. I see plenty of envy though.

But your criticism wasn't constructive.
You seemed upset that Solex wouldn't unbox, preflight, and fly Solo for you whilst simultaneously capturing Oscar-worthy video.
You then seemed miffed that its creator might possibly profit from his work.
I dunno. I really can't see any petulism here. I see plenty of envy though.
Er, are you high or just mentally challenged?

Looks like some people are little delicate when given constructive criticism. As it was an opinion from one of the ťhousands of people who do not see the need for Solex the end wrappup seemed amusing. I will end here as the mood seems to swing towards the petulant.

I heartily encorage you to continue and wish you well in that endevour, but as advised it is not for me and will not likely be. More so now.

No People have a low tolerance to non contributing folks dumping on a guy who has been doing a great job.
Here is something to try, why don't you build us an app with your approach and offer us something solex doesn't.
Then we will be impressed

No People have a low tolerance to non contributing folks dumping on a guy who has been doing a great job.
Here is something to try, why don't you build us an app with your approach and offer us something solex doesn't.
Then we will be impressed
You Sir have shown your true colors while saddling up to your keyboard and white knighting.

Feel free to read the whole thread, but in your crusade here are the snippets you have missed.

I am done with my point, no further explainations or comments will come from me on this subject. As i have heard your opinions, so must you hear mine.

...Dont get me wrong, solex is a nice app, its just not for me.

... Firstly significant respect needs to be given as they have single handedly found a gap and developed something for the community.

But dont mind me im shrewd and cynical. If there is a feature you like in it and it makes you happy, buy it.

I heartily encorage you to continue and wish you well in that endevour, but as advised it is not for me and will not likely be.

You Sir have shown your true colors while saddling up to your keyboard and white knighting.

I am done with my point, no further explainations or comments will come from me on this subject. As i have heard your opinions, so must you hear mine. More so now.
You forgot the dig you made while complementing...Kind of hard for people to see past digs despite the compliments too and you can't focus on just half the story.

I think some people got bent out of shape because you made some false accusations based on bad assumptions with other people knowing the history behind why the donation page was actually up. The constructive criticism would only apply to the developer, not anyone else, and I don't think Kelly took it delicately and only completely explained why that bitcoin donation page exists so accusing everyone else under the "constructive criticism" label doesn't really make sense.

Regardless, we know you have no intention of using Solex because a few other people turned you off. That's fine. I just hope all the Apple and Android fan boys haven't turned you off and you're enjoying your Windows phone or possibly your Blackberry.

Reactions: Greg Parker

Feel free to read the whole thread, but in your crusade here are the snippets you have missed.

I am done with my point, no further explainations or comments will come from me on this subject. As i have heard your opinions, so must you hear mine.
With an entire 28 posts here you are not really winning your argument
The process of transferring ones short comings on another are well documented

5star.JPG You Should try it, I'm sure you will also give it the highest rating available

You have to admit it isnt perfect yet. The capture and flow looks rather abrupt fom the demo videos shown. So no, optical follow is a no from me. I bought my solo to make decent video, OF has no place in that scope as good video (IMO) should be pre planned.

Dont get me wrong, solex is a nice app, its just not for me.

On a side note, and this is not hate. I am a bit dissapointed with the approach the developer has taken. Firstly significant respect needs to be given as they have single handedly found a gap and developed something for the community. Regardless of my thoughts this should not be over shadowed. My dissapointment revolves around the buisiness model. The cost of the app is $38.99 AUD which alone is an expensive cost for a program so specific (it would be unfair to compare to litchi at $15). With 500+ downloads (as per the award) they have generated $19,495. Due to store fees their takeaway is pobably closer to $13k, or higher as i dont know actual sales figures. For an app first tracked at 09/09/16 this is pretty good. My gripe is now the developer is asking/implying a need for bitcoin to further development as if the initial amount wasnt enough. If you have extra features, an in app buying feature would be better as it would also assist in telling the dev what features people want.

But dont mind me im shrewd and cynical. If there is a feature you like in it and it makes you happy, buy it.

dude I just waited until one of the department stores or supermarkets had a special on google play cards, then bought it. Dont expect the AUD exchange rate to get any better in our favour over here in the next year or so. Target had them for 15% off 2 weeks ago, so that was the opportunity I took. Ultimately you have to look beyond the current scope of vision, and examine how much support that the OEM app gets from the development team at 3DR, and there are plenty of posts on these forums expressing disappointment well in excess of yours, then compare it with the service and LISTENING skills of the solex app developer, and then decide for yourself if you can 'pay it forward' just a little bit until the solex becomes exactly what you need it to be, which will be expedited by making constructive suggestions to the developer, who I guarantee you will LISTEN to you, and do his best to be amenable to your suggestions. pretty simple stuff.

Reactions: speatuk
OK, went out today with the specific purpose of trying to find fails in the Solex app. (So I can be of service in remedying them.)

Cable cam:
The speed I could choose to playback the route was intermittent. Sometimes, I could affect the speed. Other times, the speed drag dot would not move. I apologise if i didn't come up with a consistent way to make it fail. But, it's a start. btw, I always left the app to its devices while the chatter was happening at the onset.
When the non-response speed control problem happened to me on am actual production, I had to go to Solo app to complete the mission with the proper timing.

replaying cable cam route
I backed out totally from the app and restarted everything. I found my previously programed Cable Route and when played to begin again.where It started about about 20 yards off the start point. (horizontally) I may have done something to make it incomplete in the program, but it didn't go back to the start of the route. It started at the end of the route.
I don't think I had it's waypoints missing though, as I was able to run back and forth on the cable without any glitches before the soft re-set.

Identifying a battery. (designating a name)
As yet, there are no places on the screen where I might find an "add +" at the bottom right to bring up a keyboard. Of course, I get a keyboard from other apps, etc. I haven't tried going to other hot spots on solex for keyboard intervention as yet.

Camera record unresponsive:
When I first booted all, I got the cam to give me a monitor signal. However, the "record' button would not respond. When I landed and reloaded with Solo app all functions were available. ( It was baffling, but I should have gone bavk to Solex to see what did or did not happen with record button. Also, when i first flew the mission with Solex, jumping the aircraft around and trying to make it shake, et. I was getting intermittent voice notifications, "recording" but it was not.

It may be normal to lock out the exposure values when setting up the GPH4B with limit ISO. Because those parameters are unresponsive under those circumstance of GP setup. (even when not recording)

I apologise for not being as thorough as I should have been and been able to repeat the fails under various circumstances. I'll try it again in the next few days.

Could you post a screen shot of the opening interface so I can compare it to what I get? I'm curious about the place you speak of to name the battery. btw, is this function only available when the Solo is connected? I've tried it both ways.

I'm fortunate in that I live in Hawaii and in the fact that winter only means more rain days that the rest of the year. Nevertheless, it's rare not to have unflyable days. of course, we get some serious wind 15-30mph often, but unless I'm shooting something that is serious, I can normally fly in the wind. If you have specific test you like me to do, I'd be more than happy to perform them.

mahalo
Tim

The speed I could choose to playback the route was intermittent. Sometimes, I could affect the speed. Other times, the speed drag dot would not move. I apologise if i didn't come up with a consistent way to make it fail.

I think I've found what was causing this. You're evidently using Solex on a smaller device, e.g. a phone. I haven't had difficulty adjusting the speed slider, but I looked at the layout of that screen and realized that all of the playback controls are shoved to the left of the UI to make room for the "DONE" button. On a small screen, it could be crowding the seek bar so it can't move. Fixed that for the next update.

I backed out totally from the app and restarted everything. I found my previously programed Cable Route and when played to begin again.where It started about about 20 yards off the start point. (horizontally) I may have done something to make it incomplete in the program, but it didn't go back to the start of the route. It started at the end of the route.
I don't think I had it's waypoints missing though, as I was able to run back and forth on the cable without any glitches before the soft re-set.

It's really not possible for it to start at the end of a cable cam. A Cable Cam has an explicit start point, which is the first point you recorded when you were making it. Obviously in the latest version it's possible to move a cable cam to a new location. Any chance you could have moved it? When you reload a saved Cable Cam and it's more than 20 meters or so from the original location, it will ask if you want to move it. If you say "Yes", it will reset the cable cam's points so the start point is the copter's current location. That would make it possible to start at the "end" of the cable cam, but since it's been moved so the end is now the start point, that's a different thing. :)

As yet, there are no places on the screen where I might find an "add +" at the bottom right to bring up a keyboard. Of course, I get a keyboard from other apps, etc. I haven't tried going to other hot spots on solex for keyboard intervention as yet.

When you open up the Batteries screen from the main menu, you'll see a black list on the left, and a panel on the right that says "Select a battery to see details, or press Add to add one." There's a big round green button right below that with a "+" on it. Are you not seeing that?

When I first booted all, I got the cam to give me a monitor signal. However, the "record' button would not respond. When I landed and reloaded with Solo app all functions were available. ( It was baffling, but I should have gone bavk to Solex to see what did or did not happen with record button. Also, when i first flew the mission with Solex, jumping the aircraft around and trying to make it shake, et. I was getting intermittent voice notifications, "recording" but it was not.

What color was the Record button? Gray? If so, then your GoPro managed to boot without reporting anything to the copter, thus Solex is unable to see anything about the camera's status. Exit the flight screen, power-cycle the GoPro, make sure it's on, and then re-open the flight screen. My GoPro fails to boot properly probably 20% of the time. It happens.

Could you post a screen shot of the opening interface so I can compare it to what I get? I'm curious about the place you speak of to name the battery. btw, is this function only available when the Solo is connected? I've tried it both ways.

No, you can create batteries at any time. You have to be connected to select a battery you've made, but it doesn't sound like you've been able to create a battery at this point.

Thanks for the testing info, it's helpful.

Reactions: SteveReno
Since the new update, after I close the program I still see "dronekit-android" as a connected app with the time stamp from when it was open. Is this normal? I'm using a Samsung galaxy 6s.

Since the new update, after I close the program I still see "dronekit-android" as a connected app with the time stamp from when it was open. Is this normal? I'm using a Samsung galaxy 6s.

Yes, that's normal. That's been there for quite a while. The reason for the notification is because of an aspect of Android, where a service with "foreground" priority (so it doesn't get shut down by Android willy-nilly) has a notification up. When the app disconnects from it (e.g. when it's closed), it eventually drops the notification and goes away.

I'm having a problem with both 3DR and now Solex, (who some people suggested I switch to for a fix). Everything appears to boot up normally for the camera Hero 3+ black (no wifi on camera active), the drone, the controller, and then my Lenovo tablet. When I hit FLY on the Solo app or the airplane icon on the Solex app, it switches to a live camera view. The 3DR app takes a few seconds to show an image and the Solex app does it immediately. Both apps fail at that point. The solo app boots back to the "FLY" screen and the Solex app goes all the way to the android app screen.. When this is happening, there is an error on the controller saying the app disconnected from the controller. If I act quickly, I can turn the camera on or off while the feed image is up, which is about two seconds. Both apps appear normal and switch back and forth when not connected to the controller. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi, does anyone know if solo is still covered under warranty if you are flying utilising solex and not the 3DR Application? Assuming you have an incident, crash or malfunction whilst flying. Solex appears to be the far superior application. Cheers

You should be good if you haven't modified settings using Flight Profiles or something. If you don't do that, your settings are pretty much identical to the settings imposed by the 3DR app, so there's really no way for 3DR to tell you're flying using Solex. And it's important to note that Solex won't do anything with your Solo that the 3DR app doesn't do.

I'm having a problem with both 3DR and now Solex, (who some people suggested I switch to for a fix). Everything appears to boot up normally for the camera Hero 3+ black (no wifi on camera active), the drone, the controller, and then my Lenovo tablet. When I hit FLY on the Solo app or the airplane icon on the Solex app, it switches to a live camera view. The 3DR app takes a few seconds to show an image and the Solex app does it immediately. Both apps fail at that point. The solo app boots back to the "FLY" screen and the Solex app goes all the way to the android app screen.. When this is happening, there is an error on the controller saying the app disconnected from the controller. If I act quickly, I can turn the camera on or off while the feed image is up, which is about two seconds. Both apps appear normal and switch back and forth when not connected to the controller. Am I doing something wrong?

Sounds like an issue with the tablet. When it happens in Solex, are you seeing a "Solex has stopped" message or something along those lines? If so, it's something crashing, and it sounds like it may be codec-related. If it's crashing Solex, just be sure to connect your tablet to wifi at some point soon after, and any crash logs will be uploaded to the Google Play console. At that point I'll be able to see them, and hopefully find out what's going on. I just checked, and there's nothing being reported for a Lenovo device.

Thanks,
Kelly

Reactions: ChrisP3
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I videotaped what was happening. Sorry for the quality. I had to take it outside to get the satellites.
I don't get any warnings from the Solex app. It just crashes to the main screen.
I also thought you might be trying to check the SD card for storage and I didn't have one installed. One was installed for this video.
I start the solex app multiple times to show what is happening. Finally, I do the same with the 3DR app.

Reactions: ChrisP3
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I videotaped what was happening. Sorry for the quality. I had to take it outside to get the satellites.
I don't get any warnings from the Solex app. It just crashes to the main screen.
I also thought you might be trying to check the SD card for storage and I didn't have one installed. One was installed for this video.
I start the solex app multiple times to show what is happening. Finally, I do the same with the 3DR app.

That doesn't actually look like a normal app crash, as it's never displaying the "Solex has stopped" dialog. I'm also not seeing any crashes for Solex in the Google Play console. Since it's shutting down both the 3DR app and Solex makes me pretty confident that it's an issue with the video codec on the device. Do you have a different Android device you can test the apps on?

I tested them on my son's Moto g ext phone and it worked. It was very, very slow, but the 3DR software worked (I didn't ask him to download Solex to it). Is the software doing any particular function calls to outside the app after the video feed comes up? The video comes up live during that short period of time before the app shuts down. It's hard to see in the video, but that feed is definitely live during that short time. Would a codec problem crash an app after it shows a feed?

I really appreciate your time on this matter. I'm getting a lot of responses saying they have the same exact problem, and it's with different tablets and phones.

I tested them on my son's Moto g ext phone and it worked. It was very, very slow, but the 3DR software worked (I didn't ask him to download Solex to it). Is the software doing any particular function calls to outside the app after the video feed comes up? The video comes up live during that short period of time before the app shuts down. It's hard to see in the video, but that feed is definitely live during that short time. Would a codec problem crash an app after it shows a feed?

I really appreciate your time on this matter. I'm getting a lot of responses saying they have the same exact problem, and it's with different tablets and phones.

Yes, a codec could definitely crash an app if it runs into trouble. Some of Google's code has a nasty habit of throwing fatal "exceptions" when it encounters a set of conditions it doesn't like (and the possibilities for that happening are wide-ranging in a video codec). I've already accounted for some of them, but this one seems like a new issue. It's safe to say at this point that your Lenovo tablet doesn't work with either the 3DR app, or with Solex, so the easiest way around the problem is to secure access to another tablet. Nvidia Shield K1's are great tablets, fast, cheap, and don't crash.

I couldn't find an Nvidea and they were willing to take the Lenovo back. I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy and actually had a flight today. Thanks very much for looking into it.
My next flight will be with Solex. The wife has given me some tasks videotaping her gardens. I need to learn it quick...lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela