Solex App for Android

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if solo is still covered under warranty if you are flying utilising solex and not the 3DR Application? Assuming you have an incident, crash or malfunction whilst flying. Solex appears to be the far superior application. Cheers

I was told by a 3DR rep that yes, it would void warranty.

Personaly i dont know a functionality that solex does well or better than the standard app and cant justify the cost. I dont even use dronepan anymore now that the solo app has pano.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Personaly i dont know a functionality that solex does well or better than the standard app and cant justify the cost. I dont even use dronepan anymore now that the solo app has pano.

Umm... well, how about optical follow, for one...

Umm... well, how about optical follow, for one...
You have to admit it isnt perfect yet. The capture and flow looks rather abrupt fom the demo videos shown. So no, optical follow is a no from me. I bought my solo to make decent video, OF has no place in that scope as good video (IMO) should be pre planned.

Dont get me wrong, solex is a nice app, its just not for me.

On a side note, and this is not hate. I am a bit dissapointed with the approach the developer has taken. Firstly significant respect needs to be given as they have single handedly found a gap and developed something for the community. Regardless of my thoughts this should not be over shadowed. My dissapointment revolves around the buisiness model. The cost of the app is $38.99 AUD which alone is an expensive cost for a program so specific (it would be unfair to compare to litchi at $15). With 500+ downloads (as per the award) they have generated $19,495. Due to store fees their takeaway is pobably closer to $13k, or higher as i dont know actual sales figures. For an app first tracked at 09/09/16 this is pretty good. My gripe is now the developer is asking/implying a need for bitcoin to further development as if the initial amount wasnt enough. If you have extra features, an in app buying feature would be better as it would also assist in telling the dev what features people want.

But dont mind me im shrewd and cynical. If there is a feature you like in it and it makes you happy, buy it.

Last edited:
Seems like you're missing the point. Solex is still being developed -and supported.

Reactions: Jubalr
If you look at the history of Solex and the various posts on Facebook and such, he didn't need to set up a bitcoin account. People asked him to set one up so they could donate more than just the $30 USD for the app because they found it so much better than the stock app.

Reactions: Chuck and SARDG
If you look at the history of Solex and the various posts on Facebook and such, he didn't need to set up a bitcoin account. People asked him to set one up so they could donate more than just the $30 USD for the app because they found it so much better than the stock app.
Exactly!

Hi, does anyone know if solo is still covered under warranty if you are flying utilising solex and not the 3DR Application? Assuming you have an incident, crash or malfunction whilst flying...
I've made so many mods to my Solo(s) to increase flyability that it's doubtful they would be covered anyway. At $350. they are becoming expendable - particularly if you've gotten several months of flight out of one.

The GoPro (plus the other mods you may have) is now worth more than the Solo, and apparently 3DR isn't replacing the GPs any longer anyway.

I am a bit dissapointed with the approach the developer has taken. ... My dissapointment revolves around the buisiness model. The cost of the app is $38.99 AUD which alone is an expensive cost for a program so specific (it would be unfair to compare to litchi at $15). With 500+ downloads (as per the award) they have generated $19,495. Due to store fees their takeaway is pobably closer to $13k, or higher as i dont know actual sales figures. For an app first tracked at 09/09/16 this is pretty good. My gripe is now the developer is asking/implying a need for bitcoin to further development as if the initial amount wasnt enough. If you have extra features, an in app buying feature would be better as it would also assist in telling the dev what features people want.

I've already said this a couple of times, as clearly as it's possible to say, but apparently you haven't seen it (or did, and didn't bother to mention it here): No one should feel obligated to donate. That donation page was put up after some people contacted me and suggested I put it up. Others posted publicly about it. Other people saw those public suggestions and said "you really should do it", so I did. I was mostly curious to see how something like that worked, and putting up a donation page is the one way to find out for certain.

Personally, I think it's a bit strange to put up a page allowing donations from people who have already paid for the app in the first place. It feels a bit like asking people to send money into empty space, since any features I add to Solex already go to previous buyers for free anyway. I've been keeping an eye out for negative feedback. But to date, no one (excepting you) has complained about its presence, and I haven't made mention of the page since I put it up. I'm pretty sure 95% of Solex users don't even know it exists, and I'm not going to be the one to tell them it's there. (The bitcoin thing was from a suggestion someone made about using it. I didn't have a bitcoin address, but was curious about it, so I got one and put that up too.)

Solex development hasn't depended on donations thus far, and still doesn't. I made it clear (twice) that any money coming in on that channel is to be used only for things I might need in order to build not only Solex (which I don't really need any help doing), but to buy parts for building other things that Solex can work with. Things like flight controllers from other people who are making them for Solo-type machines, etc. These things are typically made by other people in the Solo community. So, suppose (for example) a donation goes some way toward buying a PH2.1 and an Edison board which I use to build something that Solex or another app like it can work with, to go on a different machine than the Solo that works like a Solo. Somewhere down the road, something like that ends up on a bird that people can buy when their Solo is worn out. That is the kind of thing the money would be used for.

A donation page is just as easy to take down as it is to put up. I'm currently waiting on a batch of something I ordered to arrive so I can verify its quality. Once I've done that, who knows? Maybe the donation page will be taken down and replaced with something where people can send money to get something of actual value.

The app is priced at $30USD, and I don't control the exchange rate.

[QUOTE="SARDG, post: 84058 At $350. they are becoming expendable - particularly if you've gotten several months of flight out of one.

I wish I had your bank account!!

I've already said this a couple of times, as clearly as it's possible to say, but apparently you haven't seen it (or did, and didn't bother to mention it here): No one should feel obligated to donate. That donation page was put up after some people contacted me and suggested I put it up. Others posted publicly about it. Other people saw those public suggestions and said "you really should do it", so I did. I was mostly curious to see how something like that worked, and putting up a donation page is the one way to find out for certain.

Personally, I think it's a bit strange to put up a page allowing donations from people who have already paid for the app in the first place. It feels a bit like asking people to send money into empty space, since any features I add to Solex already go to previous buyers for free anyway. I've been keeping an eye out for negative feedback. But to date, no one (excepting you) has complained about its presence, and I haven't made mention of the page since I put it up. I'm pretty sure 95% of Solex users don't even know it exists, and I'm not going to be the one to tell them it's there. (The bitcoin thing was from a suggestion someone made about using it. I didn't have a bitcoin address, but was curious about it, so I got one and put that up too.)

Solex development hasn't depended on donations thus far, and still doesn't. I made it clear (twice) that any money coming in on that channel is to be used only for things I might need in order to build not only Solex (which I don't really need any help doing), but to buy parts for building other things that Solex can work with. Things like flight controllers from other people who are making them for Solo-type machines, etc. These things are typically made by other people in the Solo community. So, suppose (for example) a donation goes some way toward buying a PH2.1 and an Edison board which I use to build something that Solex or another app like it can work with, to go on a different machine than the Solo that works like a Solo. Somewhere down the road, something like that ends up on a bird that people can buy when their Solo is worn out. That is the kind of thing the money would be used for.

A donation page is just as easy to take down as it is to put up. I'm currently waiting on a batch of something I ordered to arrive so I can verify its quality. Once I've done that, who knows? Maybe the donation page will be taken down and replaced with something where people can send money to get something of actual value.

The app is priced at $30USD, and I don't control the exchange rate.
raw

Kelly, I dont think you need to apologise or explain the very welcomed opportunity to further support your efforts with Solex. Im quite confident (as you should be) that many of us feel your app is under priced. You design it, you code it, and you support it. As we see that the platform is of a limited life, I for one, amongst many here would like you to know, that when its time to move to a new platform, you will feel that your Solex experience and the enthusiam of your supporters is well worth coming aboard, or leading the way, whenever, and wherever we go to advance our passion for unmaned aireal flight.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I was told by a 3DR rep that yes, it would void warranty.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you refrain from using Flight Profiles or setting a Max Distance setting in Solex, 3DR would essentially have no way of telling you were using something besides the 3DR app to fly the Solo anyway. The only way they could tell is through a difference in parameters, and Solex sets them the same as the 3DR app except in those cases. The presence of different copter parameter values is what they would likely point to as the cause of a crash or something, and use it as a cause to void the warranty. At this point 3DR is a company keen to get out of the business of supporting consumer drones. It's in their interest to avoid paying out on warranty claims as much as possible.

Kelly, I dont think you need to apologise or explain the very welcomed opportunity to further support your efforts with Solex. ... I for one, amongst many here would like you to know, that when its time to move to a new platform, you will feel that your Solex experience and the enthusiam of your supporters is well worth coming aboard, or leading the way, whenever, and wherever we go to advance our passion for unmaned aireal flight.

Thanks! Definitely on board with new machines. I think there's great stuff coming for this platform, well beyond Solo's life span. There will always be people who express disappointment at how something gets done, or dog a product because it does something they don't need. No one that I know of appointed this "night ram" guy the custodian of my "business model", so no apology is needed. I just felt like reiterating that point about the donation page. :)

As we see that the platform is of a limited life, I for one, amongst many here would like you to know, that when its time to move to a new platform, you will feel that your Solex experience and the enthusiam of your supporters is well worth coming aboard, or leading the way, whenever, and wherever we go to advance our passion for unmaned aireal flight.

I am considering purchasing the solex app even though the exchange rate stinks right now in Canada. (I know that's beyond anyones control).
I do have a question about they above mentioned platforms.
Is the app currently exclusive to solo or can it be used on other platforms when and/or if they come?

I am considering purchasing the solex app even though the exchange rate stinks right now in Canada. (I know that's beyond anyones control).
I do have a question about they above mentioned platforms.
Is the app currently exclusive to solo or can it be used on other platforms when and/or if they come?

The plan is definitely to support other platforms when they appear. As soon as I get my hands on one, Solex is going to gain the ability to detect whether it's connected to a Solo or whatever else it supports.

Thanks,
Kelly

Reactions: Chuck and Maddog
Looks like some people are little delicate when given constructive criticism. As it was an opinion from one of the ťhousands of people who do not see the need for Solex the end wrappup seemed amusing. I will end here as the mood seems to swing towards the petulant.

I heartily encorage you to continue and wish you well in that endevour, but as advised it is not for me and will not likely be. More so now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela