So what's next for you guys?

Reaction score
I'll be attending NABShow in 2017 to see what's out there but what other bird are you folks looking at?
Anything out there comparable to the solos modes?

Reactions: blbraufman
My solo will operate well into next year and suit my needs
But my next Bird will be DIY

I'm done with RTF drones, the only player left is DJI and they are still suckering people to buy a new model every year

I dont like DJI either as they seem to be the Call of Duty of the Drone world, new edition every year :(

I am really bummed about the solo tbh, it was such a great platform and REALLY had the ability to change the landscape.
Just a really bad business design. Is it too much if we call the Solo the Delorean of Drones? lol.
Also wish I knew how to DIY drones but Im no where as smart as you people, any tips on where to get started for a noob?

Dive on in, I was a solo only pilot about a year ago,
decided to build one, Just got on the ardupilot forum and started building
If I can do it, you can

I probably going to the Mavic Pro 2. I like the RTF aspect and the portable nature of the form. I doubt I could build anything that good.

APM DIY is the future for solo owner. Solo is basically a closed APM quad with proprietary gimbal and gopro controls, you can free it by flashing the flight controller (except gimbal and gopro control). In fact, if you move the components to a 450 frame, you instantly improve the survivability and more agility.

Im sticking with the APM/Arducopter platform and DIY, I will get a Mavic 2 and will drive my Solo's into the ground....really looking forward to where Pixhawk 2+ goes as well as the hot products that this company is putting together! COMING SOON: Multi-Rotor Pixhawk2.1 Carrier Board

All Im wanting is to have the same smartshots and gimbal control from the Solo transition over to DIY

By the time the duct tape can't hold Solo together anymore, there will be new quads 10x better waiting for you at the big box stores.

Reactions: gnomad
For those came from APM or DIY, when their Solo can't get up any more, they would go back to DIY. For other, there will be brand new RTF waiting at the big box stores. Just enjoy the Solo as you can, it is a great flying machine; a great steal at $299. Enjoy.

Reactions: LouFlySolo
For those came from APM or DIY, when their Solo can't get up any more, they would go back to DIY.

Yup, back to DIY for me. By the time my Solos are put out to pasture, I have to think on-board computers and smart shots will be readily available in the DIY space. There's no way I'd spend upwards of a grand for another consumer drone like a Phantom or Mavic.

my DIY is already flying a PH2,1 and an Edison on board with dronekit
been tinkering with the software but Kelly Shrock I am not

If 3dr release the gimbal code, we may move the components out the heavy solo frame sooner to more appropriate frame.

I dont like DJI either as they seem to be the Call of Duty of the Drone world, new edition every year :(

I am really bummed about the solo tbh, it was such a great platform and REALLY had the ability to change the landscape.
Just a really bad business design. Is it too much if we call the Solo the Delorean of Drones? lol.
Also wish I knew how to DIY drones but Im no where as smart as you people, any tips on where to get started for a noob?

If you have a crashed solo ready to send back for r
epair. The best way to get your feet wet into DIY now.

When you crashed a Solo, chances are an arm and/or gimbal. I can't help you on the gimbal but I can give you step moving the components to a better frame. Go get a 450 frame from eBay, Banggood or GearBest for about 20-30 dollars. Careful move the components from Solo to the new frame. Paid attention to the manometer & antenna at the back legs. Careful move the main board to the main deck of the new frame. The gps is bit of trouble, the best way is get a pod and stand it away from the other electronics. You can check APM board for idea. After the transplant, you will notice the newfound agility and flight time. The stock shell and frame looks pretty but too much dead weight. The transplant will migrate the problem.

My first purchase was actually a DJI Phantom 2 back in the summer of 2014. Got bored with it and since I had the DIY in my genes (sort of I guess - my dad flew gas powered RC and taught me how to fly them back in the day) decided to start with a Tarot680 Pro hex build. That took some time (with a Pixhawk 1 FC) but after weekends with my brother who is most decidedly better when it comes to the electronics and constructing side of things, we had a flyable model. Kept that until about July of this past year and switched out for an RCT800 model with big motors (380kv big to be exact) and 15' carbon fiber props. Also had the 3 axis gimbal to hold a GoPro. Then after the $399 sale back in October I think it was, I bought a Solo. Bought one during the $299 dollar sale as a present for my brother. It was the least I could after tapping his considerable electrical/electronics knowledge to help with the DIY. He eventually did his own and actually repurposed the old Tarot frame. Haven't had the Solo up much but the weather will be decent here this week and I have nearly the rest of this year off.

I just took delivery of the Yuneec Breeze. Self described as a selfie cam drone, it has all the programming for all the 3DR Solo modes, plus a geofence.

Much smaller, but can fly indoors as it has the same sensors for indoor as the DJI products.

This device is in its infancy, but growing quickly. I spent about $300 US, or $450 CDN with a case, two batteries and a spare set of props.

That's the direction I'm going, but I'm just having fun. The DJI 4 Pro would be my choice if I were working. 1 inch sensor camera.

Reactions: gnomad
Who should buy the yuneec breeze
Should you buy it?

Yes. Just make sure the Breeze’s features and abilities are in line with your goals. This drone probably isn’t a good choice for serious pilots and filmmakers — but if you’re simply looking for an easy/affordable way to snap aerial photos of yourself and your adventures, then Breeze is an excellent choice. We really enjoyed this drone, and you probably will too.

And for about the same price as solos on sale, not even a competition

Read more: Yuneec's Breeze is a drone that'll fit in your backpack, and your budget
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | DigitalTrends on Facebook

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela