So the Chimps in the Solo release Video finally got their gimbal

Reaction score
.... AND THEY ARE NOT HAPPY!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This chimp is happy with his two Solo's and two gimbals :). I am not however happy with the rain :(

Yeah I see all of these new plans to put drones to use for things, but none account for rain.
Someone is going to have to build it into them if they want to. And even then what if theyre in route somewhere and you get a thunderstorm with 40mph wind gusts on the outflow boundary

Yeah I see all of these new plans to put drones to use for things, but none account for rain.
Someone is going to have to build it into them if they want to. And even then what if theyre in route somewhere and you get a thunderstorm with 40mph wind gusts on the outflow boundary
Yes. Even the big boy helicopters can't fly in bad weather. I would think someone will be making a unit that is water, weather resistant though sometime soon.

Yes. Even the big boy helicopters can't fly in bad weather. I would think someone will be making a unit that is water, weather resistant though sometime soon.
Not even sure who makes it but there's a real nice looking waterproof and floating gray one on Craigslist Cincinnati for 1000 bucks this week. If I had the money I may get it it's a 550 and doesn't look to be a home build, if it is it's a good complete job. I'll look, it was there a couple days ago, may have even been in Dayton. Still doubt it has a weather resistant gimbal though.

There are a ton of them in design, on kickstarter, etc. with various designs. Some waterproof, some ultra portable/folding, some hybrid vehicles. Most based on PixHawk.

Blu drone folds up to go in your pocket

Sprite

B-Unstoppable combines a mini tank and a drone

Cool stuff...
We are surely at one of the coolest times in tech in quite a while, I'd bet now that 3dr and dji are going at it we see some incredible things from them ASAP as well. Can't wait to see what's next, in a year or two were going to see some things we haven't even thought of yet far as multis I'm sure. Glad I got into the hobby when I did, the phantoms or Lego looking home mades never caught my attention like solo if inspires designs, I'm anxious to see the next evolutions even if my wallets not after just getting solo going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Earldgrayjr
We are surely at one of the coolest times in tech in quite a while, I'd bet now that 3dr and dji are going at it we see some incredible things from them ASAP as well. Can't wait to see what's next, in a year or two were going to see some things we haven't even thought of yet far as multis I'm sure. Glad I got into the hobby when I did, the phantoms or Lego looking home mades never caught my attention like solo of inspires designs, I'm anxious to see the next evolutions even if my wallets notafter just getting solo going.
I agree. And with 3DR taking the open source route with Arducopter and then putting powerfull linux computers on each side, as well as using the Pixhawk2 and incorporating am expansion bay, I see great things ahead. I look forward to the stuff being planned now in the "Made for Solo" program. They are only touching the surface of what this thing can do, and changing.adding to it couldn't be easier... While other platforms are hitting their design ceiling.

I have noticed that most of the new fledgling designs out there are using the PixHawk/Arducopter for the same reasons. As I have often said, the best technology os the one that survives, and the one that survives is the one that is most widespread.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig