So, someone called the cops on me today

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Was flying at sunset at the park.

There werent that many people at the park.

I was flying out over the water and not over anyone on the grass. Just trying to get a shot of the sunset.

I only have the one battery (only had the Solo for 5 days).

By the time I started breaking it down a cop car rolled down the street. I knew it was because of me. I broke it down as fast as I could (I am carrying it on my back in the original case in an Ikea bag).

They parked and started walking into the park scanning the people and looking for the flyer.

I looped the handles of the Ikea bag over my shoulders and got on my bike and rolled out of there.

I think someone pointed me out in the park as I left, but I just kept going and hit a few turns until I was out.

WTF!

Was flying at sunset at the park.

There werent that many people at the park.

I was flying out over the water and not over anyone on the grass. Just trying to get a shot of the sunset.

I only have the one battery (only had the Solo for 5 days).

By the time I started breaking it down a cop car rolled down the street. I knew it was because of me. I broke it down as fast as I could (I am carrying it on my back in the original case in an Ikea bag).

They parked and started walking into the park scanning the people and looking for the flyer.

I looped the handles of the Ikea bag over my shoulders and got on my bike and rolled out of there.

I think someone pointed me out in the park as I left, but I just kept going and hit a few turns until I was out.

WTF!
Gangster man!!

Reactions: Saturn13
Drone Paranoia...:eek:

No harm no foul, apparently you did nothing wrong as they did not pursue you.
Actually if he was in a L.A. district park he would have been cited, all depends on where he is to consider whether it's right or wrong in the eyes of the law.

Last edited:
Reactions: EyeWingsuit
I was shooting off Estes rockets with my son at the local fairgrounds when a cop drove in and right over to us. I was expecting him to tell us we couldn't do it there, but instead he smiled and said "I remember launching those with my father!" We talked about engines and different models we remembered for a while before he left.

Now you're unlikely to meet a cop who says "I remember flying drones with my dad!", and in all likelihood they'd have given you a hard time, but if you know you weren't breaking any laws, the best way to handle someone calling the cops on you is to have the cop show up, talk to you, and leave you be to continue what you were doing.

Reactions: Saturn13
Yeah, you probably should have stuck around. Unless there is some local regulation and you weren't buzzing the people you did nothing wrong. From my experience people are very accepting of drones and find them fascinating. Hopefully the cop educated them.

Even if you weren't technically over a member of the public, at altitude it can be hard to tell if an object is directly above you or not, even for people like us who fly all the time. That said, you say you weren't flying over them so, it sounds like someone probably complained on privacy grounds. It's a grey area, and if it becomes a big problem the laws will get waaaay tougher for flying.
When I'm flying near any members of the public (always >30m unless they have been properly briefed, aka ground crew), I very openly tell them what I'm doing and how I'm being safe about it, before i fly.
Most people are amenable, and when someone isn't, I just go away and come back when they've left. It can be frustratingly slow, but we are the interlopers, never forget that. Don't be arrogant it never ends well (isn't that right flabango? lol).
Using some small cones to mark out your LZ is always a good look too, I picked up some cute blue ones from ebay for a song. Im arranging for some little stencils so I can spray "Caution: UAV above" on the cones ;)
If you intend to fly in the same area a lot, you could also head on down to the local cop shop and tell them about yourself. Be pro-active, explain how you know the rules (don't you flabango?), show them your registration/license if you have one, and give them your mobile number. Hopefully next time they get a complaint they will call first to see if it's you, and possibly then leave you alone. (A lot of ifs and possiblys but it's worth a try).
Mostly I just avoid the public, they're really annoying and ruin most shots by pointing or waving lol. Sunrise and dusk are great times to get out, less wind and less people. Awesome lighting too.

I have had two 'situations' when flying my Solo.

First one was I was flying in a local park that I had never been to. Area has large pond and was shooting vid's of birds. Decided to fly around at 400 ft to take a look of the area and flew Solo for about 10 minutes in a downward 'mapping view mode' just to check out the area. Very rural and there were some houses buried in the tree canopies. I got back to the parking lot and a lady had jumped a fence while I was landing Solo. She yells out "I AM shutting your lift gate on your Jeep..." and heads over to my Cherokee and did just that, pulls out her cell phone and takes pictures of my license plate and I'm thinking WTH! I was landing Solo at the time, so got it on the ground ASAP and walked over there and asked here "what’s the problem?, this is a public park...". She said I flew over her property and was going to call the authorities. Turns out he husband fly’s a P3 and said "you cannot fly over my property without permission", I said "first time here, I did not even know there was a house there". AT the end we talked drones, let her 5 young boy's 'play' with Solo, even did another flight for them. You just never know.

Next one was in an open area that I fly at all the time. Took Solo out for LOS testing with new mods... long story short - after I landed and was sitting under the trees reviewing video and Sheriff’s helicopter came into the field, doing round-a-rounds like he was looking for something/someone. Glad I was still not flying because he was at low ALT in my original fly zone and we would have had a real issue if we had a collision or near-miss. I was waiting for a sheriff cruiser to show up at anytime, never did. This is a open field/woods with NO people around. Interesting.

My input: be courteous, watch where your flying (not over private property), and just be yourself when the 'heat is on'.

Even if you weren't technically over a member of the public, at altitude it can be hard to tell if an object is directly above you or not, even for people like us who fly all the time. That said, you say you weren't flying over them so, it sounds like someone probably complained on privacy grounds. It's a grey area, and if it becomes a big problem the laws will get waaaay tougher for flying.
When I'm flying near any members of the public (always >30m unless they have been properly briefed, aka ground crew), I very openly tell them what I'm doing and how I'm being safe about it, before i fly.
Most people are amenable, and when someone isn't, I just go away and come back when they've left. It can be frustratingly slow, but we are the interlopers, never forget that. Don't be arrogant it never ends well (isn't that right flabango? lol).
Using some small cones to mark out your LZ is always a good look too, I picked up some cute blue ones from ebay for a song. Im arranging for some little stencils so I can spray "Caution: UAV above" on the cones ;)
If you intend to fly in the same area a lot, you could also head on down to the local cop shop and tell them about yourself. Be pro-active, explain how you know the rules (don't you flabango?), show them your registration/license if you have one, and give them your mobile number. Hopefully next time they get a complaint they will call first to see if it's you, and possibly then leave you alone. (A lot of ifs and possiblys but it's worth a try).
Mostly I just avoid the public, they're really annoying and ruin most shots by pointing or waving lol. Sunrise and dusk are great times to get out, less wind and less people. Awesome lighting too.

This is in NY/Brooklyn.

I try to keep all police contact to a minimum and zero if I can.

They shot some guy for trying to pull out his wallet 41 times.

Imagine what they would do to someone with a drone.

Nexxypoo, you're still an idiot. Cute little blue cones and all. Have you thought about getting a megaphone? "ATTENTION MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC... DRONE IN THE AREA! I HAVE INFORMED THE POLICE THAT I WILL BE FLYING TODAY. IF I OFFEND YOU IN ANY WAY, DON'T WORRY, I AM A HIGHLY TRAINED PILOT AND HAVE A LICENSE... AND THESE BLUE CONES! STAY CALM AND WE'LL ALL GET THROUGH THIS TOGETHER."

That is a pretty strong statement man, he is just 'trying to do right'...

But - I do keep out-of-site and test in proper area's at all times. (see my last post on the sheriff helicopter showing up when I have flown the same field for months)

I do NOT notify local AHJ's when I fly, unless required by the area/law period.

Cheers

This is in NY/Brooklyn.

I try to keep all police contact to a minimum and zero if I can.

They shot some guy for trying to pull out his wallet 41 times.

Imagine what they would do to someone with a drone.
Why'd it take him 41 attempts to pull out his wallet?

Last edited:
The kid that can't afford a car but can afford a drone and an attitude.
I know several that fit that description.

One cancels the other out.

You either have a Solo or a banana bike.

You would not find anyone with both.

If you had the wherewithal to get a Solo you would be riding a better bike.

If you were riding a banana bike you would be flying a Brookstone Styrofoam drone.

Nexxypoo, you're still an idiot. Cute little blue cones and all. Have you thought about getting a megaphone? "ATTENTION MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC... DRONE IN THE AREA! I HAVE INFORMED THE POLICE THAT I WILL BE FLYING TODAY. IF I OFFEND YOU IN ANY WAY, DON'T WORRY, I AM A HIGHLY TRAINED PILOT AND HAVE A LICENSE... AND THESE BLUE CONES! STAY CALM AND WE'LL ALL GET THROUGH THIS TOGETHER."

Coming to a theater near you... Jim Carry in Drone Pilot.
"Stay away from the drone! Alrighty then..."

Is it common for you call people idot?
Would you do it if you were standing in front of them?

The behavior her reminds me of the DJI forums

Content removed because it just isn't worth encouraging him.

My experience of flying in public parks is that you end up with people coming to talk to you. If you take a look at my video here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
At 1m24s you can see two figures on the ground centre who turned out to be an elderly couple absolutely fascinated with drones. Spent quite a while talking with them.

Just a few days ago, I was attempting to catch the world's only flying Vulcan bomber, XH558, in the air from the air on its last UK tour. Results not great (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
) but a gentleman wandered over the talk to me as he was learning to fly racing drones.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela