Shield power cable to help GPS?

Reaction score
OK, I know that there is the shielding upgrade, but has there been discussion of upgrading the power cable, or shielding the power itself from the entire bay. It seems that there is a lot in that bay that could stand not having interference.

Maybe a stupid question. I tried to search for this topic, so if it has been discussed, sorry.

Nope. The majority of the RFI that interferes with the GPS comes from the GoPro. The 5v power to the GPS is not a source of meaningful RFI.

The majority of the RFI that interferes with the GPS comes from the GoPro.
I disagree, I think it was @fpvsteve that tested with gps software (U-center?) and found that the GP had no influence on Solo's gps performance. Here's the link...

I do agree with P2P that shielding the gps cable will offer minimal gains. The ferrite choke should be handling those influences.

Either the "cardboard" mod or the V2 shield are effective in providing the best gps performance for a stock install of either a RevA or RevB puck..

Then you have the mRo offering, which is a further improvement that should be considered, as it offers a larger reference of sats in the sky.

If you want to further remove the gps out from the noise, then consider an install on a mast. I've seen recently several efforts to install the gps to a mast, mainly diy. And then another turnkey version is expected from proficnc at some time in the future.

Personally I fly with the RevA board and only recently installed the V2 shielding (bandwagon), I had been flying with the "cardboard" mod the year prior without issues. I did upgrade my gps's battery to resolve slow start times...here's a link to @cynfab detailing that problem and a resolve. I am considering an install on a mast, if only for the cool factor...;)

Peace -

I am one of the guys who got in lately, I spent $200 to get Solo, so the MRO board is a huge percentage of the initial cost. I bought a tiny board that is in a few vids, and the GLONASS helps, but the mast is probably the best solution. EFI is likely a bigger issue because of the piss poor location of the antenna, it overwhelms a signal that is weaker than need be.

I get it now....good luck.
Not to be down on Solo, I like it. I was going to build my own, but no way I could do something like solo. So I don't mind spending some money, and tinkering, that is why I bought a Solo.

Hope I didn't piss you off. I have read a lot of your posts, and they have been helpful.

It was one of the ex 3DR guys a while back that mentioned the GoPro (or maybe the gimbal) was the primary source of RFI. I get horrid GPS drift inducing RFI from my Mobius camera on my large Y6. So it stood reason other cameras could have the same issue in my mind. I didn't ask for evidence. I guess it could just as easily be coming from the gimbal and other electronic components. Or intermodulation from the wifi. Or or or or.

Whatever it comes from, suffice to say the power/data cable isn't conducting it in. And the new V2 shield kills virtually all of it, or at least all of it that is noticeable in operational performance.

If a certain CEO allowed the GPS to be built correctly in the first place, this would all be moot. But noooooo.

Hope I didn't piss you off.
Nope. I just assumed you weren't budget (chinamart) minded. You do get what you pay for and other than Solo, there aren't very many bargains in the electronics industry that actually work part to part.

You are looking at Solo as a $200 bird, that's wrong, it's a $1200 bird you just happened to purchase at deep discount. Consider yourself lucky and upgrade without any proportional math.

I upgraded motors a few months after buying Solo, best $300 spent. That also voided my warranty. I've been happily flying for over a year with these motors. Just to understand how I think of Solo.

If a certain CEO allowed the GPS to be built correctly in the first place, this would all be moot. But noooooo.
I object, hear say your honor. Only one party has "expressed" the reason, the defendant has yet to defend himself.

Sorry buddy, I don't buy into the stories being told. It was said before, a few engineers have to die in order for a product to be released....(@Jubalr circa 2016) We've only heard one side of the story and I'll reserve judgement on one certain CEO until he testifies...which is unlikely, as he has accepted all blame...like any commander would do.

Reactions: Jubalr
Nope. I just assumed you weren't budget (chinamart) minded. You do get what you pay for and other than Solo, there aren't very many bargains in the electronics industry that actually work part to part.

You are looking at Solo as a $200 bird, that's wrong, it's a $1200 bird you just happened to purchase at deep discount. Consider yourself lucky and upgrade without any proportional math.

I upgraded motors a few months after buying Solo, best $300 spent. That also voided my warranty. I've been happily flying for over a year with these motors. Just to understand how I think of Solo.

I object, hear say your honor. Only one party has "expressed" the reason, the defendant has yet to defend himself.

Sorry buddy, I don't buy into the stories being told. It was said before, a few engineers have to die in order for a product to be released....(@Jubalr circa 2016) We've only heard one side of the story and I'll reserve judgement on one certain CEO until he testifies...which is unlikely, as he has accepted all blame...like any commander would do.
You must have a hell of a memory! That quote came from an engineer and is apparently well known in engineering circles in their known desire to continually improve a design: "Sooner or later you have to shoot the engineer and ship the product". That was 30 years ago and I can hear him saying it like it was yesterday..

Reactions: RichWest
Personally I fly with the RevA board and only recently installed the V2 shielding (bandwagon), I had been flying with the "cardboard" mod the year prior without issues. I did upgrade my gps's battery to resolve slow start times...here's a link to @cynfab detailing that problem and a resolve.

Does this mod apply to the Rev. A board only? I did have my Solo apart a few months ago to do the cardboard mod, but I can't recall seeing a battery on my Rev. B board & I'm not taking it apart again just to check.

Does this mod apply to the Rev. A board only?
I have no clue, as I only have the RevA board(s)... But yes the RevB and the mRo both have batteries as well, if not or dead it would take several minutes to acquire sats ever time you turn them on. Read cynfab's post...

Will say this for 3dr, the GPS shield seems expensive at $30, until you price out the raw materials. Then it is a good deal.

When they offered it for $15, they must have lost money on each one.

Reactions: Sargemo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela