She's a tough bird!

Reaction score
Found this on FB...

"
Ran out of battery! Holy [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] balls... 400ft up and my battery is dying quick! Never seen it drain so fast before. Although I was flying at about 8000' elevation so that played into it.
I was shooting a cabin lot for a client when I calmly told him you're about to see a drone fall from the sky. Spiraling down as fast as I could and trying to keep it over something soft ??? it finally lost lift at about 120'. As soon as it lost lift I switched to throttle up hopefully to soften the fall. It came down somewhat hard but everything's ok! Didn't even break a prop or damage the gimbal. She's a tough bird!

Check out the video -->"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
that recovery was crazy
early on when I first got solo I lost GPS in some trees, it went into manual and I had never flown manual and lost control
it bounced and went behind a tree. I figured it had crashed and just dangled the controller heading over to the wreck
when I came around the tree there was solo just hovering 5 feet off the ground. It apparently bounced off the ground flew back up in the air and gps locked

There should be an emergency "get my ass on the ground NOW mode". A quad can descend a LOT faster than that, I've screwed around with some of my home builts and it doesn't take much prop speed to just keep the quad from flipping over - it'll flop from side to side as it plummets, but a quick punch of the throttle stops it pretty quick. No need to worry about vortex ring state because you're descending quicker than your prop wash. It's just nerve wracking to know it's sucking fumes and taking it's sweet time to get down.

It's my nightmare!!!
Once in a while I'll ran across a battery that wasn't full, but had enough juice for about 8 or 9 min.....My bad...
After i get it above tree line & towers "180 ft." about 1K ft out, I get waning @ 25%, look down & see the numbers dropping like crazy! Then i wake up LOL Happened to me twice in a year. Not fun, too heavy to stand under & catch? guess try to find a soft place & hope for the best....

There should be an emergency "get my ass on the ground NOW mode". A quad can descend a LOT faster than that, I've screwed around with some of my home builts and it doesn't take much prop speed to just keep the quad from flipping over - it'll flop from side to side as it plummets, but a quick punch of the throttle stops it pretty quick. No need to worry about vortex ring state because you're descending quicker than your prop wash. It's just nerve wracking to know it's sucking fumes and taking it's sweet time to get down.
That is one of the reason I keep A programmed to Stabilize mode. You can drop it like a rock if needed. Plus, it's more fun to just fly around in it. Those that haven't tried it would be very surprised at the full throttle climb rate of the Solo in stabilize.

it is like manual without alt hold?
Yes, controlled the same as manual with the same response on the right stick. However, the left stick is now directly controlling power to the motors. In Fly & Alt Hold, the left stick is only requesting altitude changes through the controller. But the amount of increase/decrease in altitude is very limited as far as how much power it will add or reduce to those requested changes. Give it a try. Take it up to about 15-20' in manual or fly and press the stabilize button. It will likely start to slowly descend, but you will see how much more reactive the left stick is now to altitude changes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks