Serious design flaw in Solo?

Reaction score
Website
dattagroover.com
I have noticed, both first hand and from other's experience, that the Solo does not shut itself down the way the Phantoms do when they are in trouble. As I was getting ready to launch my Solo today, it asked me to calibrate the level.

I did, and all was then okay. As I tried to have it take off, it just flipped on its top, though the props kept trying to turn. I kept the pause button depressed until it shut down. The motors were very hot. It would not start up again.

I will find out soon if they stand by their warranty, but I am also concerned about the lack of an auto-safety-shutdown like DJI builds in their drones.

Any thoughts on this?

Reactions: prowler9
You didn't preform the Emergency motor shut down properly. Its A+B and Pause at the same time. Why did it flip over was it even ground? Did you have Full GPS? I have never had that issue with mine. Always preform preflight checks. Ensure your not in a RF noisy environment?

Cheers, hope you can get back in the skies soon!.

You didn't preform the Emergency motor shut down properly. Its A+B and Pause at the same time. Why did it flip over was it even ground? Did you have Full GPS? I have never had that issue with mine. Always preform preflight checks. Ensure your not in a RF noisy environment?

Cheers, hope you can get back in the skies soon!.
nice pic your baboon start yelling hehe

I was in a huge field far from things, had full GPS, 11 satellites. My Solo won't let itself take off without at least 9 sats. No idea why it flipped. All 4 props were spinning, it only got 6 inches up and flipped itself.

My first time using the emergency shut-off, so now I know. Thanks.

ran into a similar problem like that too. one or more of your motor pods is probably burnt up and needs to be replaced. trouble shoot it by turning solo on look/hear for motor pod that slightly moves. remove that one and disconnect its wires. start solo up again. all lights should boot up properly and the normal sound tone you should hear.
link for motor pod troubleshoot
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
link for motorpods
https://store.3drobotics.com/t/solo

I can't get that far, Andre. I turn on the power, the battery lights come on, then go right off. None of the motors so much as twitch. I do hear a faint "clink" from inside the drone, but that's it.

I have noticed, both first hand and from other's experience, that the Solo does not shut itself down the way the Phantoms do when they are in trouble. As I was getting ready to launch my Solo today, it asked me to calibrate the level.

I did, and all was then okay. As I tried to have it take off, it just flipped on its top, though the props kept trying to turn. I kept the pause button depressed until it shut down. The motors were very hot. It would not start up again.

I will find out soon if they stand by their warranty, but I am also concerned about the lack of an auto-safety-shutdown like DJI builds in their drones.

Any thoughts on this?
Guess us DJI pilots are use to the good ole start and stop motors via the 2 joysticks. Mine did the same thing took off started to drift. Manually took it down to the ground from only a couple feet up. Held the throttle (ascend) all the way down. By time I went for A+B Pause it flipped and the motors kept running full speed! Finally they stopped after a good 15 seconds of grinding into a hedge. Wish someone would write an app via an SDK to go into DJI control mode. Ha ha! At least they should emulate the joysticks diagonally down toward each other instead of making it so AUTOMATIC. I still fly my Inspire and with the new AUTOPILOT App it does all the modes. However the SOLO footprint is more desireable. They both have their place as a good tool for different jobs thats for sure! Anyhow come on 3DR give us a joystick throttle kill too that would be cool!

I can't get that far, Andre. I turn on the power, the battery lights come on, then go right off. None of the motors so much as twitch. I do hear a faint "clink" from inside the drone, but that's it.
The 'clink" is coming from a motor.... Listen carefully and you will find it. Remove it. It will then boot up. If all else fails unplug them all, and plug them in one at a time, booting each time, until it doesn't boot. you may have more than one bad unit. The motors that are left connected while it still will boot are good.

I actually disagree on the throttle kill. Many have dropped their Phantoms accidently because of this. the way 3DR does it is different, but just as fast, and less chance of accidental initiation...

My 2 Cents

I had a similar experience. 3dr support suggest the same test procedure to determine if a motor/motors are burned out or if there is some more significant damage. My test proved a motor was cooked. Up one inspecting the flight log 3dr determined it was a Solo warranty issue and authorized a replacement for free. It took 3 weeks to get thru the process. I received the motor pod yesterday, installed it... Everything works again.

Do not lose hope. Send in your flight log.

I had a similar experience. 3dr support suggest the same test procedure to determine if a motor/motors are burned out or if there is some more significant damage. My test proved a motor was cooked. Up one inspecting the flight log 3dr determined it was a Solo warranty issue and authorized a replacement for free. It took 3 weeks to get thru the process. I received the motor pod yesterday, installed it... Everything works again.

Do not lose hope. Send in your flight log.
Will do, thanks.

The 'clink" is coming from a motor.... Listen carefully and you will find it. Remove it. It will then boot up. If all else fails unplug them all, and plug them in one at a time, booting each time, until it doesn't boot. you may have more than one bad unit. The motors that are left connected while it still will boot are good.

I actually disagree on the throttle kill. Many have dropped their Phantoms accidently because of this. the way 3DR does it is different, but just as fast, and less chance of accidental initiation...

My 2 Cents
I'll try that, but I may just need to unplug them one at a time.

My 2 Cents
It would be a good idea for me to practice that until I'm really fast at it, as it does take more time. I agree, though, it's safer.

ran into a similar problem like that too. one or more of your motor pods is probably burnt up and needs to be replaced. trouble shoot it by turning solo on look/hear for motor pod that slightly moves. remove that one and disconnect its wires. start solo up again. all lights should boot up properly and the normal sound tone you should hear.
link for motor pod troubleshoot
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
link for motorpods
https://store.3drobotics.com/t/solo
THanks for the link, Andre.

The next firmware has a much better auto cut-off.

https://github.com/3drobotics/ardupilot-solo/pull/106
sweet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc