Salt Lake City Skyline

F

flabango

Shot this with my Solo yesterday. It was tough to get the shot since I'm having issues with my video feed blacking out. Enjoy...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks. I was at about 385'. But I'd go up to 500' without any worries. Who are you, the Internet police? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I was at about 385'. But I'd go up to 500' without any worries. Who are you, the Internet police?

He's not the police. We are just trying to encourage pilots to stay within the existing rules so that we have a chance of being able to continue flying.

I know... I just like to stir the pot. However, the fact is the FAA has yet to put in place any enforceable regulations other than flying above 500', flying in restricted airspace, or flying recklessly. I abide by those regulations until they get off their arses and get an actual policy in place.

I know... I just like to stir the pot. However, the fact is the FAA has yet to put in place any enforceable regulations other than flying above 500', flying in restricted airspace, or flying recklessly. I abide by those regulations until they get off their arses and get an actual policy in place.
I believe the max for RC is 400'. Minimum for full size is 500', giving you 100' of separation.

Reactions: nexxypoo
Thanks. I was at about 385'. But I'd go up to 500' without any worries. Who are you, the Internet police? ;)

Hmmmm. Where to start...
Ok so you're a real funny guy, who thinks this is a joke. You also say the FAA should "get off their asses".
So, some reality for you cowboy:
FAA rules for hobbyists:
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
So, there are rules in place, and the fact you don't know them is not a good look, especially when you start picking fights on the matter...
Looking at your video, and using Google Earth to measure some of those buildings you fly high enough to see the tops of, you were right on the edge of 400ft (if you are that high, being "about 385'" is not good enough, you should know exactly). Fair enough. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you stopped right there, because you have already demonstrated your respect for the rules so much in your previous statements... ;)
But, you were also flying over heavily populated areas, near a stadium and groups of unsuspecting people (i'm guessing you didnt brief the entire population of that corner of SLC) in an area that likely has a heli pad or three, so you were probably breaking the law.
There's no need to be a smart-ass about it, especially when you are pushing it legally. I wouldn't post that online myself, especially if I intended to eventually go for a legit license.
But hey, you're obviously all over the rules and know enough to tell the FAA where to go, don't you.
I was trying to be nice about it, but seeing as you like stirred pots so much, enjoy your fines! lol

neX:)

Can't afford to fly 400FT, cause there are low flying planes all the time here, Nearest airport is 5 mi.N/W then another 5 Mi. S/W. Smaller planes always flying under bottom limit "500FT" They fly by at 300FT sometimes.
i limit my Solo to 200FT when i'm home. Just short test from here. I drive out to the beach for real video & flying.

Hmmmm. Where to start...
Ok so you're a real funny guy, who thinks this is a joke. You also say the FAA should "get off their asses".
So, some reality for you cowboy:
FAA rules for hobbyists:
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
So, there are rules in place, and the fact you don't know them is not a good look, especially when you start picking fights on the matter...
Looking at your video, and using Google Earth to measure some of those buildings you fly high enough to see the tops of, you were right on the edge of 400ft (if you are that high, being "about 385'" is not good enough, you should know exactly). Fair enough. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you stopped right there, because you have already demonstrated your respect for the rules so much in your previous statements... ;)
But, you were also flying over heavily populated areas, near a stadium and groups of unsuspecting people (i'm guessing you didnt brief the entire population of that corner of SLC) in an area that likely has a heli pad or three, so you were probably breaking the law.
There's no need to be a smart-ass about it, especially when you are pushing it legally. I wouldn't post that online myself, especially if I intended to eventually go for a legit license.
But hey, you're obviously all over the rules and know enough to tell the FAA where to go, don't you.
I was trying to be nice about it, but seeing as you like stirred pots so much, enjoy your fines! lol

neX:)

Internet UAV rage much? No stadiums, no helipads, no helos, no crowds of people, not above 400'... yep, some cowboy I am. I would bet you were a little upset when you checked Google Earth and could see for yourself I wasn't above 400'. Lighten up Francis!

At the time I knew exactly how high I was because I fly safely and very deliberate. And you have no idea what I know and how much research I've done. It's people like you who make a mountain out of a molehill that are the problem... exacerbating a non-issue. I get it, you're afraid the government is going to take away your guns... er, I mean drones? If it makes you feel any better I actually don't fly over 400' but I'm convinced it's completely legal to fly up to 500'. You can cherry pick the FAA site and find contradicting info supporting both heights.

The FAA HAS dragged their asses since 2008. They can't decide whether UAV's are RC airplanes or full blown aircraft! And they just missed their September deadline but I'm sure it's because they want to get it right. Which is good for us. I think the longer they take the more they'll understand that drones are precision flying machines and aren't as scary as they thought. Frankly, yes, it is the "wild wild west" as far as drone regulationsk, or lack there of, are concerned. Embrace it... don't fight it. Just fly safe!

They're slowly getting there and here are some proposed rules for UAV's under 55 lbs with a note about even further clarification for micro UAV's under 4.4 lbs, which, is what the Solo is. The FAA is more worried about heavy lifters falling from the sky than they are micro UAV's and once they finalize the regulations I think it will reflect that.
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

On another note... are you logging all your flights? If not you should. Peace...

Internet UAV rage much? No stadiums, no helipads, no helos, no crowds of people, not above 400'... yep, some cowboy I am. I would bet you were a little upset when you checked Google Earth and could see for yourself I wasn't above 400'. Lighten up Francis!

At the time I knew exactly how high I was because I fly safely and very deliberate. And you have no idea what I know and how much research I've done. It's people like you who make a mountain out of a molehill that are the problem... exacerbating a non-issue. I get it, you're afraid the government is going to take away your guns... er, I mean drones? If it makes you feel any better I actually don't fly over 400' but I'm convinced it's completely legal to fly up to 500'. You can cherry pick the FAA site and find contradicting info supporting both heights.

The FAA HAS dragged their asses since 2008. They can't decide whether UAV's are RC airplanes or full blown aircraft! And they just missed their September deadline but I'm sure it's because they want to get it right. Which is good for us. I think the longer they take the more they'll understand that drones are precision flying machines and aren't as scary as they thought. Frankly, yes, it is the "wild wild west" as far as drone regulations are concerned. Embrace it... don't fight it. Just fly safe!

They're slowly getting there and here are some proposed rules for UAV's under 55 lbs with a note about even further clarification for micro UAV's under 4.4 lbs, which, is what the Solo is. The FAA is more worried about heavy lifters falling from the sky than they are micro UAV's and once they finalize the regulations I think it will reflect that.
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

On another note... are you logging all your flights? If not you should. Peace...

lol. Nice try there sunshine.
I don't need to respond to your rant, it's obvious you know you were being silly and all I was doing was trying to help you.
That's cool, don't thank me, knowing I helped some poor soul do some self-reflection is reward enough.
Happy flying :)

lol. Nice try there sunshine.
I don't need to respond to your rant, it's obvious you know you were being silly and all I was doing was trying to help you.
That's cool, don't thank me, knowing I helped some poor soul do some self-reflection is reward enough.
Happy flying :)

Internet police to the rescue! Give yourself an award...

I'm not the police, but I care about air safety. And I have time on my hands while I process my survey flights from this morning. And seeing as you like diggin that hole of yours, deeper and deeper, lets get stuck in...

So, looking at Google Earth again, and using their ruler, I can see that you were approximately 3.53 miles from Salt Lake City International Airport. The rules are pretty clear about the 5 mile exclusion, but hey, you're so smart I'm sure you have a good excuse. What was that about "no helos, no helipads"?
It appears you probably took off from the carpark on the corner of North Temple and West Temple. You probably flew over the Church History Museum, the Family History Library and the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel. You almost certainly also flew over West temple Rd, South Temple Rd and possibly Temple Square Station. You can claim there was no members of the public under your RPAS at the time, but I reckon you'd be hard pressed to get anyone in authority to agree, lets see.

Did you log that flight so the FAA can check out your entries when the time comes? I'm sure they will be very interested in how close you were to that international airport... ;)

Again I say to you, being caught out being reckless is one thing, but continually trying to push back against those who are just trying to help you is silly. Eventually, one of them will just give up and report you. There is too much at stake to let egotists do as they please in the air.

I would bet you were a little upset when you realised I was going to do some checking of your story and find out you had clearly broken the law. Harden up Frank!

(For the record, yes I log all my flights, both on paper and with tLogs, it's the law, and I'm licensed. You?)

...oh and I just found this list of heliports in the area you were flying:

Google:

I count 6 within a mile of you, one at the State Capitol building even. At least three more within 3 miles, and one HUGE one called the International Airport.

Do you really still want to try and offend me?

I'm not the police, but I care about air safety. And I have time on my hands while I process my survey flights from this morning. And seeing as you like diggin that hole of yours, deeper and deeper, lets get stuck in...

So, looking at Google Earth again, and using their ruler, I can see that you were approximately 3.53 miles from Salt Lake City International Airport. The rules are pretty clear about the 5 mile exclusion, but hey, you're so smart I'm sure you have a good excuse. What was that about "no helos, no helipads"?
It appears you probably took off from the carpark on the corner of North Temple and West Temple. You probably flew over the Church History Museum, the Family History Library and the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel. You almost certainly also flew over West temple Rd, South Temple Rd and possibly Temple Square Station. You can claim there was no members of the public under your RPAS at the time, but I reckon you'd be hard pressed to get anyone in authority to agree, lets see.

Did you log that flight so the FAA can check out your entries when the time comes? I'm sure they will be very interested in how close you were to that international airport... ;)

Again I say to you, being caught out being reckless is one thing, but continually trying to push back against those who are just trying to help you is silly. Eventually, one of them will just give up and report you. There is too much at stake to let egotists do as they please in the air.

I would bet you were a little upset when you realised I was going to do some checking of your story and find out you had clearly broken the law. Harden up Frank!

(For the record, yes I log all my flights, both on paper and with tLogs, it's the law, and I'm licensed. You?)

Did you file your flight itinerary with the FAA before you did your survey this morning? You sir are an idiot. Report me asswipe.

Did you file your flight itinerary with the FAA before you did your survey this morning? You sir are an idiot. Report me asswipe.
So... before I hit submit, lets see if you can swallow that pride in time. i'll give you 30 miinutes to apologise.
You're lucky I don't live in the USA, and so am not bound by law, as a licensed RPAS pilot, to report you. Instead, I can use my discretion.
Your call tough guy....

Last edited:
Calm down tough guy. I'm not governed by the FAA, so no I didn't.
Ok, I will report you, as you have requested me to do. Such a shame when a man's ego outstrips his intellect.

Good luck!

Contact the Aviation Safety Hotline

Oh yeah, I'm the one that needs to calm down... riiiight. Project much? You should probably re-read this thread from the beginning.

Oh I see, so you're not governed by the FAA? What, diplomatic immunity?

Ok, I tried.

:)

(Do us all a favour, report back after you've had your visit... I'd be keen to hear whether they just give you a stern talking to, fine you, or ban you... lol)

Ok, I tried.

:)

(Do us all a favour, report back after you've had your visit... I'd be keen to hear whether they just give you a stern talking to, fine you, or ban you... lol)

Ah shucks. RAPS pilot? Is that like when you fly SouthWest Airlines and the captain gets on the intercom and lays down some sick beats welcoming everyone aboard? Jeez... you need a license for everything these days.

Reactions: nexxypoo
Ah shucks. RAPS pilot? Is that like when you fly SouthWest Airlines and the captain gets on the intercom and lays down some sick beats welcoming everyone aboard? Jeez... you need a license for everything these days.

lol. Ah yes my bad. A typo.
What are you, the Internet Police? Hypocrisy is so ugly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela