Rules and Regulations of Ocean Flying

Reaction score
I live near the Puget Sound and I'm looking for info on the rules about flying over the water. I know that if the area falls into restricted airspace due to airports those rules would apply, but are there other rules? If this has been discussed other places, feel free to link the thread, I searched and didn't find anything.

Dan

Hey Dano,

I'm in the Sound area as well. Whidbey Island. U? We have some killer scenery to take in.

As P2P stated, same rules apply - still the NAS even over water.

One exception is the law of gravity - the consequences are quite a bit more dire :)

Hey Dano,

I'm in the Sound area as well. Whidbey Island. U? We have some killer scenery to take in.

As P2P stated, same rules apply - still the NAS even over water.

One exception is the law of gravity - the consequences are quite a bit more dire :)
I'm down in the South Sound area. I live just off American Lake and Joint Base Lewis McChord. The area has lots of restrictions, but we do have a park in the area with a designated flight zone from model aircraft. I'm looking forward to finding some areas to fly that will give me some freedom to explore the capabilities of the Solo.

Dan

You can use skyvector.com to view aeronautical charts of the area. They can be a little confusing to sort through all the noise, but it looks like there is far more restricted airspace up near everett actually, than around JB lewis-mcchord.

Looks like these are the most relevant restricted airspace in your area. I can't tell if that is directly over the base or not.

0I4E0G9.png

(hit the "seattle" button on the top right bar to view just the seattle area chart, including the legend)

I'm down in the South Sound area. I live just off American Lake and Joint Base Lewis McChord. The area has lots of restrictions, but we do have a park in the area with a designated flight zone from model aircraft. I'm looking forward to finding some areas to fly that will give me some freedom to explore the capabilities of the Solo.

Dan

To fly far in south sound you almost have to fly over water! If you mean Ft Stealicoom park, yeah that looks like good spot for land flying but is it possibly too close to McChord airfield?

To fly far in south sound you almost have to fly over water! If you mean Ft Stealicoom park, yeah that looks like good spot for land flying but is it possibly too close to McChord airfield?
Ft. Steilacoom park has a designated flying area. As long as you you have your FAA registration flying is allowed.

Dan

Ft. Steilacoom park has a designated flying area. As long as you you have your FAA registration flying is allowed.

Dan
That's great news! I know the general area well just not been to that park in ages. I'm fairly close. When you gonna go? I know a few who might want to join. Or, lets go down to salters and fly to ketron!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo