Replaced controller phone mount with RAM mount

Reaction score
The phone holder on the Solo controller is too small for my huge Nexus 6P. I also think it's a little on the flimsy side, but probably ok for recreational use. I use RAM mounts for everything in the Jeep and elsewhere. So I figured why not make this use one of my existing mounts.

I screwed a panel mount to the arms coming off the controller and done. Now I can use my "large phone / small tablet" sized RAM holder for my phone. It happens to also fit my old S4 just fine too. It is much more flexible with the angle. And it moves the phone a little closer to my face too. If you felt so compelled, you could use any of their mounts with this. A full size ipad, or any other tablet could work.

I also experimented with adding a second mounting point, which allows mounting two phones/tablets at once. It worked, but I found it unnecessary and went back to just one.

GqIs4lTd7faL3AYmbbMkiU7z3ROo2E_ZqaIzx02Qu-IGkdr-viioti_6YgTfyXRzUzZPqVOiHi_tA7klmqfbAHliiD3yIZMKN3qEcvw0XQtcTAbNk0lLU_DBxp7SHwvGaFxUWe7or8BbpMVLUBZub5kVRJnHvIbEbaT553D6-dz7tqxWBMysH9uXDJz3SBYGZC7ZQZPtgGnscSNtzVaqUMTaMBj7SY8iCIh-Fm4RwD2lKsEqrH2aBRWgopNpJe9yjGbzHm17_ZHUkVIzOQcaxGVpwg-dUjpUMETID4jIc3sPQk5brFUfWij_P8PN_lHAux_bfrxYDbT7au4m5v3qcIU7ys7wyXtYcEoEWJAU0UfBvroJMHxSw-ArmawUGLCylVs1zBpwOdf4OXBtAYNcOE48Ox5yIO7sDqevUbgVRSBONbDpzF4fNAlToP1MsPXY4UJRz5deybauiLqSz6uNLd3XlVMlaPwYBjic1SCInPzaY3r6TpUKnUbpxyIMWXycteq_U8U5uaaiUbTb_ioMmlWHnnB9s3iiuRPlA9sEL5Ij3GKF_2_XRoVEo9Vilpt6bm7UuQ=w1228-h918-no

sm0XfZrjnJFBZknYLT3DJ1NJwvjBwi5Y7PtEC_e-OqBTafa3LB_ci2dch4OQFNIsuFjJQ6WCSKbrdDyPdlu39cnaFBt_jj-W1OGoT5SGiex6YXRzo9FU8TGD74C0CI8sO4ypHwrgNBEs_FkTdjW6zZ8d8Q6RoAXyDQve0yJSl8IC2w6yrnalHZ1l9SmXaw4paBPm3m428ryjrRRQjEMe_7RwqQ8KbD-vn0ooAAckUPL95iePZHC-9JzoWw56wQK6cB6G-EjrqSW1iNPQacWnLH_m5t_IDWWYt7uxZ7L2eVKnyyQAgDmZejHPgb5WRgLZwky3AAnvsxf9TvidrOEzkghZyT88j73fq0BlXLO2m0CpJtmdPgeBi7cLDVoWIbQes6DgKR0qkE8RsFkP-M1YS8p_zfK6C0kI0lRATTgBlYj2X0t3dfDDSxmHP1VAECAVG2SbQBRXWer7OZqfY-dNKjyfdAw_mAPm1CdK1QBwrKgfY3GhJyeep0bu_D92A_1h4iKLPcCnnou2tmxwGP3GUvEeW4rvG6fEbR4YBel1gsBDMlV_GCw-k2-KglCr8LCOP8A7rg=w1224-h918-no

72mJiyu7_j5fl7F8WdLmbA3p6oGhrfed6jt_tcIx8_8dGa_tzss9xNqTIpTYNeRXy_34SoPmBDfCcj7WZC1OWE_cYQFr8x51wIT8Ft6AUpEuCAgxXB-AL2N6fPCDnJ4EJUQQDA1El1VpyqFCLzK1_89fNgnBENPK4WLsjPNJ84aawGE1tp1opWC7RiMWTSa5ZhHnnzfD23WADYnepZUB9KtkRK72pN3I1sxIWymfqLRSqMrLunjQ3Mgns1slzKTHdhC-1SrF_5cKZMUtGyJhbYd2qGL6n8M3c6gUMRs0S3Es2AeUFCDGHh1zxGb2hBe8pwFk4RnGrEtX4yw2nEBpuMK-CwH9w6byz_jN8bB4hXorRgplySWYjFv20zv7mP3O5YKao9VmQBosT3LngzSfK1dc3-sAApXBQhtEy0mKFBqnRUa3s5_-MJV1Ta4cHHz8wD0x2EgpYYtor5wK2hsqBohfqAL6e_Zl7Ao-NTOrkh_X3iIbRKOsq_t2Bf2thcr-U63O0vWDqiJeeZIe7sPLZ3brJz1FyiQj68LT_auf4kmDXV6OiY5zIv-KczhOKddmKjO35g=w1224-h918-no

JNWyQf7tGfI7RgrjDqU93qCk4gKDtuZhZd8wFoYWVkfVh32i0gFJQHGTiE268I6MVyhWsbLG58IDcmSltZ1jmj5JhYGKFTFAbS96kGTeXPygImpvgVa4rhSiQnn2n_4Pg1FZR8u3kVD8jRFeUz6TftmsAZQPBkXS1GSEBUYNfmJWNYscKP4FDiwmLC4t7fhqbiOVSPiWMyV_0OEQ6A58XGRcizvdosNlsbXkUyRwStelA161Gdhqgu2KFF99ENUtldOXwpB3v_7JA-XU7zHlbvOM0LkK3gJmEZcXGatIIO0dXeHVGmXjLsm5inbHlqS40IJ6UDVSlAKklBSJPBsRr-_17Donr-tMH-JhBNZ0YOtBmawi6iieR7PtLejA50t8q5SLUmPyXC4jj1V09cbQ8z2VFodlf1lDcuoqyJdEJ7KinInAPl2AXx5szNWn2ojttjIjYBdM-yt84X4clQ99DCjnFP9w9I9xr5E_9hVWJXl9nZT7xIZucdmwfNSQHY6HtHqSlbfrZHGfg-StPGsU4hZkPiAwbp1dDNKm6qjTR1ge9Nzd5JNkoEaHPw-Vmo6xuB-Ogw=w1632-h918-no

Reactions: locutus
Nice mod. I've tried a few other options for my 10" tablet and haven't been happy with any of them. I agree the stock ball is flimsy.. Maybe okay for a small phone, but not my tablet. I'll look into the RAM mounts.

Reactions: Rex Barlow
Nice mod. I've tried a few other options for my 10" tablet and haven't been happy with any of them. I agree the stock ball is flimsy.. Maybe okay for a small phone, but not my tablet. I'll look into the RAM mounts.
I use gopro hardware and it works beautiful for my ipad air 2GOPR7135.JPG

Attachments

• GOPR7135.JPG
    GOPR7135.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
Thanks - I have GoPro mounts. Maybe I'll look into something like that.

Thanks - I have GoPro mounts. Maybe I'll look into something like that.
It's working beautiful I will redo cuz it looks awful. Ha. When I get new case for my iPad Air 2. It's easy move to other like truck on dashboard, home desk mount.. U see the wifi booster with FLVR ... the blue rod to hold the weight of 2 boosters !

RAM Mounts are commonly available on amazon any many other online retailers. They're biggest and most popular maker of professional equipment mounts for vehicles.

My wife has an iPhone 7+ and it fits nicely, but makes the whole package a little "wongo." I have an iPhone SE because I don't like carrying a big phone. Of course because of this I need to have "Reader" Sunglasses. I guess I could use my iPad Mini but that's really BIG? :rolleyes:

I also used RAM parts to replace the device holder on my controller, and I didn't drill any new holes in the controller. Here's how I did it:

I can use the same tablet holder that I use other places (in my boat) with the controller for Solo. Here's a picture of what it looks like now:

1.jpg

I used the following parts with some misc screws and nuts:
RAM Tab-Tite (first gen, you need to "trim" the grip on the back of the 2nd gen) -- RAM-HOL-TAB-SMU
RAM DIAMOND BASE W/OCTAGON BUTTON UNPKD -- RAP-272U
Single Ball Socket for B size 1” ball with Octagon Button Socket -- RAP-B-200-1U
RAM Diamond Plate 2.43" x 1.31" with B Size 1" Ball -- RAM-B-238U

All in, it's about $50 in parts but it's universal; I already had the tab-tite device holder, ball mount, sun shade and ABS backboard, so it was less than $20 in parts to add the mount to the Solo controller. I added a small piece of ABS to the back of the tab-tite so I had somewhere to mount a sun shade. The ABS was ~$4 at TAP Plastics and the sun shade was $12 on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YMGSMQC

Here are more detailed pics of the entire assembly:
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gmeeth
mikeo
Saw your tread the other day and it looks great!
Just changing how I attach to the back of my 9.7" tablet. Going to give the suction mount a try. Thanks

I also used RAM parts to replace the device holder on my controller, and I didn't drill any new holes in the controller. Here's how I did it:

I can use the same tablet holder that I use other places (in my boat) with the controller for Solo. Here's a picture of what it looks like now:

View attachment 5084

RAM Tab-Tite (first gen, you need to "trim" the grip on the back of the 2nd gen) -- RAM-HOL-TAB-SMU
Single Ball Socket for B size 1” ball with Octagon Button Socket -- RAP-B-200-1U

All in, it's about $50 in parts but it's universal; I already had the tab-tite device holder, ball mount, sun shade and ABS backboard, so it was less than $20 in parts to add the mount to the Solo controller. I added a small piece of ABS to the back of the tab-tite so I had somewhere to mount a sun shade. The ABS was ~$4 at TAP Plastics and the sun shade was $12 on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YMGSMQC

View attachment 5085 View attachment 5086 View attachment 5087 View attachment 5088 View attachment 5089

You did a really nice job there. I think I'll do that when I have a tablet that works properly with my Solo. My Samsuns Note 10.1 is awesome, but it simply isn't supported. I was thinking about selling it and getting a Shield.

View attachment 5084

View attachment 5085 View attachment 5086 View attachment 5087 View attachment 5088 View attachment 5089

I've got "Reader Sunglasses" I use when Flying an LSA. So far they work great with my Solo and 5.5" Phone. I've got a few tablets, but they make the whole thing top heavy and "wongo" but it's all a matter personal preference and what YOU want to do.

My wife has an iPhone 7+ and it fits nicely, but makes the whole package a little "wongo." I have an iPhone SE because I don't like carrying a big phone. Of course because of this I need to have "Reader" Sunglasses. I guess I could use my iPad Mini but that's really BIG? :rolleyes:
I use an iPad mini and it fits great.

Reactions: FlyXlsa

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421