Reducing Wind Noise?

Reaction score
Does anyone have a trick to reduce/eliminate the heard wind noise on the GP4B? I'd like to continue to hear the motors, but just want to eliminate the crackle caused by the prop air or natural breeze while in flight.

I've tried taping painters tape over the two mics. I've even placed foam rubber, sliced thinly, under the tape to simulate mic foam. The air is leaking in somewhere...wonder if it's the front cover!?!?

Thank you!

Reactions: J R
Does anyone have a trick to reduce/eliminate the heard wind noise on the GP4B? I'd like to continue to hear the motors, but just want to eliminate the crackle caused by the prop air or natural breeze while in flight.

I've tried taping painters tape over the two mics. I've even placed foam rubber, sliced thinly, under the tape to simulate mic foam. The air is leaking in somewhere...wonder if it's the front cover!?!?

Thank you!

Rich,

Boy, you're going all out aren't you!? Steady as a rock and moving on to audio prospects. You're alright Rich!

Jerry

The best way is to fly without the props... but that just introduces other issues.

Try adding a few layers of panty hose material, seriously. An old trick a sound engineer taught me years ago. But I've never tried it on a GoPro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I saw Rich in the lingerie section,,,but wasn't that a bra and panties you had in your hand?...lol. Let us know how it works out. Thanks Rich. BTW, have done pretty well on eliminating most all of the vibration. Pretty pleased actually. Some prop experimentation going on over at the Mod Club also. Swapping out bearings for Boca bearings this weekend, will let you know if that has any effect on sound pith and level.

Reactions: J R
I thought I saw Rich in the lingerie section,,,but wasn't that a bra and panties you had in your hand?...lol. Let us know how it works out. Thanks Rich. BTW, have done pretty well on eliminating most all of the vibration. Pretty pleased actually. Some prop experimentation going on over at the Mod Club also. Swapping out bearings for Boca bearings this weekend, will let you know if that has any effect on sound pith and level.
Sure I was taking them over to the VS model to try them on....my wife on the other hand didn't appreciate my efforts. I can see out of one eye fairly well now....;)

I signed up for FB and requested an invite, but no love...from them...Bastards.

At this point you're going to have to create a separate sound - track of the props spinning that you use for your videos. Should be easy enough to create. Spin the props while filming without actually flying or simply hover for a minute or so. Open the video in quicktime and save a copy as audio only. Use at your leisure.

At this point you're going to have to create a separate sound - track of the props spinning that you use for your videos. Should be easy enough to create. Spin the props while filming without actually flying or simply hover for a minute or so. Open the video in quicktime and save a copy as audio only. Use at your leisure.
Sorry, the motor sound is not for effect. Interesting thought however. My purpose is to cue in on the motors output related to how they sound when actively flying.

1. Attach an external MIC to the GoPro.
  2. Get it right up there inside the motor area.
  3. Mount it so when you fly forward the wind is not going right into the capsule.
  4. Do not use an omni-directional mic
  5. Use a dynamic mic if possible, not a phantom powered mic.
  6. Treat the mic with proper wind dampening material (talk to sound mixers in LA, they have this down to an art form).
  7. Make sure your recording levels are strong but never ever peak (ideal -20db to -5db, but -12db would be great)
  8. In post, use a noise filter to remove all the wind noise (be very careful not to overdue it)
  9. Find the frequencies of your motors and boost them with an EQ, and cut all the other frequencies significantly or all the way, depending on which ones they are, all in an effort to isolate your motor.
  10. That's it :)
  11. Oh you could also get two mic, and split the stereo input
  12. Obviously these MICs would need to be extremely small, smaller then lapel mic. That along with everything else i mentioned should require a heavy amount of research to make sure you acquire the proper parts and implement them properly.
Good Luck

Reactions: RichWest
  1. Attach an external MIC to the GoPro.
  2. Get it right up there inside the motor area.
  3. Mount it so when you fly forward the wind is not going right into the capsule.
  4. Do not use an omni-directional mic
  5. Use a dynamic mic if possible, not a phantom powered mic.
  6. Treat the mic with proper wind dampening material (talk to sound mixers in LA, they have this down to an art form).
  7. Make sure your recording levels are strong but never ever peak (ideal -20db to -5db, but -12db would be great)
  8. In post, use a noise filter to remove all the wind noise (be very careful not to overdue it)
  9. Find the frequencies of your motors and boost them with an EQ, and cut all the other frequencies significantly or all the way, depending on which ones they are, all in an effort to isolate your motor.
  10. That's it :)
  11. Oh you could also get two mic, and split the stereo input
  12. Obviously these MICs would need to be extremely small, smaller then lapel mic. That along with everything else i mentioned should require a heavy amount of research to make sure you acquire the proper parts and implement them properly.
Good Luck
OK, so I'll just deal with the wind noise from now on.....thanks for the Mic/Audio 101 lesson, it really was informative. I'm still trying to get the imaging color close...well beyond my abilities at present.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150