Red do not fly zone

Reaction score
So I was flying today out at the park that I normally fly (which is actually not far from an airport) I am only flying about 30ft up back and forth, running some technique practice.

A guy rides up to me and says this is a no fly zone and that i can get fined up to $10,000.00

That got me thinking.. Is is possible they would fine me? What happens in a no fly zone? Is it more of a "you shouldn't fly here" or you CANNOT fly here?

Thanks
Ryan G

Who is 'A Guy'. did he work for the city/county/feds? Could be some guy that saw something on the internet that was totally unrelated.

If you are within 5 miles of an airport, you are in a restricted zone. No, you will not be fined $10,000.00. Especially if you are flying that close to the ground.

the sad part about all this is that 10 years ago we all flew R/C planes all over the place with no issues. Now you have a quadcopter with a camera and suddenly it is an evil "drone" that everyone thinks will catch them looking at dirty pictures in their backyard.....gotta love those condo commandos doing their duty to inform us about the no-fly zones....

the sad part about all this is that 10 years ago we all flew R/C planes all over the place with no issues. Now you have a quadcopter with a camera and suddenly it is an evil "drone" that everyone thinks will catch them looking at dirty pictures in their backyard.....gotta love those condo commandos doing their duty to inform us about the no-fly zones....

Well said.....

You could also download Hover (on your smart phone) and check before you go to a location.

You could also download Hover (on your smart phone) and check before you go to a location.

I like that app mostly but damn if it doesn't piss me off when I'm in the map section and I want to look north. It always sees it as a swipe and I'm back in the yellow screen.

I like that app mostly but damn if it doesn't piss me off when I'm in the map section and I want to look north. It always sees it as a swipe and I'm back in the yellow screen.

I agree with you there.

So can you fly in the red zones? Is there a altitude limit? Or is it more of a "don't be a dumb ass and fly it like an idiot"?

Lastly.. Can a city put limits/laws on flying and fine people? The reason I ask is that someone else made mention that they were fining people in another city near me, but i can't find anything.

Thanks
Ryan G

So I was flying today out at the park that I normally fly (which is actually not far from an airport) I am only flying about 30ft up back and forth, running some technique practice.

A guy rides up to me and says this is a no fly zone and that i can get fined up to $10,000.00

That got me thinking.. Is is possible they would fine me? What happens in a no fly zone? Is it more of a "you shouldn't fly here" or you CANNOT fly here?

Thanks
Ryan G
I hope you told him to get lost.........:D Unless he was wearing an FAA badge or was a policeman.
Droneaphobia is a disease infecting the uninformed.

Well he was just a guy who said he had several drones and was trying to look out for me. He wasn't malicious or mean about it, more than anything he just seemed he wanted to help.

That got me thinking I really don't know the LAW / REGs in my area. I know in another city close the city has said that people can't fly them in certain areas (but again that was from a couple people telling me, not knowing if it's true really).

So it got me thinking.. what is the law? I live in an area that would blanket my entire city and one next to me for more than an hour drive if I can't fly within 5 miles of an airport..

So where do I fly then? I have seen people flying in downtown here and noone really says anything at all, I see people flying in parks (they are DEF within 5 miles if not 2 miles of a major airport). The beach is within 1 mile (can I NOT fly there?)

Just wondering so I don't get in trouble / mess with people and scare them. I RARELY go above 100ft, let alone 400.

Ryan G

Reactions: GoodnNuff
You can be fined but only if a federal official determines you were creating a dangerous situation. If you are near an airport I would pick a new park just to be safe. I drive about 2 miles to get to where I fly because the closest park is within 5 miles of the regional airport. It may not seem like a big deal but neither is just cooperating with reasonable requests.

So can you fly in the red zones? Is there a altitude limit? Or is it more of a "don't be a dumb ass and fly it like an idiot"?

Lastly.. Can a city put limits/laws on flying and fine people? The reason I ask is that someone else made mention that they were fining people in another city near me, but i can't find anything.

Thanks
Ryan G

Yes, a city, county, etc can enact local laws limiting where you can fly. There are quite a few city and county parks in my area that have banned any RC "toys" whether boats, car/trucks, or fixed wing planes and drones. These laws have been on the books long before quad copters were available to the public. I don't know of anyone being fined, but I know people who have been asked to land and told they are in violation of (insert city or country code/ordinance here). I think if you were belligerent with an enforcement officer, or had been warned repeatedly, you might get hit with a fine, otherwise you will just be advised to land and leave.
Just always be polite and respectful if you are approached - now is a good time to remember you are basically an ambassador for all of us, and it is easier to pack up and leave, even when you are within your rights, than to be aggressive and confrontational - at least that is my opinion.
You don't strike me as the type that would be an ass though Ryan, so I'm just preaching to the choir here...lol.

Ha.. yeah I definitely wouldn't be.. I have the utmost respect for people who serve to protect us (Fire, Rescue, Police, All armed forces, etc).

I appreciate the comments.. I am usually flying out over the ocean really and it's only about 50-80ft in the air. I don't have anywhere that is a no fly zone unless I drive 40 mins now, but o well I guess that's what I will be doing.

Ryan G

Keep in mind its not 5 miles period. There is a step down based on elevation.

So if I am 1/2 mile from airport can I fly 100' or lower? 50' or lower? Is there somewhere I can find more info?

Thanks again guys

Ryan G

So if I am 1/2 mile from airport can I fly 100' or lower? 50' or lower? Is there somewhere I can find more info?

Thanks again guys

Ryan G

1/2 mile is too close.

This is what I have been going by. This is a DJI video but it makes sense to me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000