R3D Mods

Reaction score
I have the flip down leg extenders, the leg sliders and the Go Pro clip. I'm really torn guys, I want to recommend this stuff because their designs are genius BUT the application ? Not so much.

The leg sliders.

Great idea but the implementation is problematic. Both come with a slot in them for the ant wire on the right leg. However, even with my anal as hell install, I still ended up with damage to the wire after a few uses. The solution was to enlarge the slot to minimise any contact or only use the slider on the left side. Since the Go Pro camera is offset, this solved my leg in shot problem even when I film in 4k Superview. I also modified it slightly so I could remove my gimbal without removing them. They are very stiff so I applied a small amount of oil. Note, once the leg is in the out positron the Solo is level, spacer+ incline= level.

Flip down leg extenders.

Again, I really want to love these puppies. The Polar Pro units had to be removed or flipped to fit in the 3DR back pack. This seemed like the perfect solution. Unfortunately, even with the $30 price tag I found then to be cheaply made. They are made from two pieces of plastic snapped together in stead of connected with a proper pin. They tend to come apart when you're flipping them up or down. I don't want to know what'll happen if there's even a slightly hard landing. I'm guessing a flip over. On the positive side, they snap onto the legs very tightly and have no chance of falling off. I'm looking at maybe fitting a small zip tie to better anchor the shoe to the main body.

Go Pro clip.

This was a must have for me as I cringed every time I removed the camera from the gimbal. This makes it possible to remove the micro SD or hook up the micro USB without removing the camera. Yay! Now the bad news, because it's a printed piece, it's very brittle. Couple that with the fact that it's a bit more awkward to remove equals easy breakage. I'm on number three right now. They both broke at the screw hole. I've started just removing the clip if I need to remove the camera to save myself some trouble. I'm also considering modifying the gimbal to allow access to the top button if need be.

Worst of all. I contacted them about the clip and received no reply. So much for customer service. Luckily, I bought the leg extenders from Amazon so they'll have my back.

Links:

Leg Extenders, Amazon.com: Relish3D Solo 3DR Leg Extender V2 -Solo Accessories: Camera & Photo

Go Pro clip, R3D Replacement GoPro Clip for Solo

Leg Sliders, Solo Sliders

Reactions: Damien
I had nearly the same results with other complaints...
Sliders: I got shaky legs during flight, now in the bin
Leg extenders: kept coming apart and quite difficult to snap back into place, also now in the bin
Gopro clip: it was mm too long, didn't actually do anything. Also didn't like the brittleness. Gopro just held by the hdmi. RIP

Gone back to the polarpro leg extenders which I now really like. They softened up and slip off much easier now, seems like a good type of plastic for this application. Going to get more soon in case they wear out.

And when I decided to remove the leg extenders, due to the lack of flexibility, two had to be permanently bent with a screwdriver and are now useless

And when I decided to remove the leg extenders, due to the lack of flexibility, two had to be permanently bent with a screwdriver and are now useless

Yea, like I said, they have good ideas but the implementation isn't very good.

I had nearly the same results with other complaints...
Sliders: I got shaky legs during flight, now in the bin
Leg extenders: kept coming apart and quite difficult to snap back into place, also now in the bin
Gopro clip: it was mm too long, didn't actually do anything. Also didn't like the brittleness. Gopro just held by the hdmi. RIP

Gone back to the polarpro leg extenders which I now really like. They softened up and slip off much easier now, seems like a good type of plastic for this application. Going to get more soon in case they wear out.

GOOD STUFF. Thanks for posting your findings and to @Lon Denard for starting the thread. I’ve often wondered about getting all of these and knowing they shake/snap/break wires, etc, then I’m out. But will be checking the polarpo leg extenders. Thanks guys.

GOOD STUFF. Thanks for posting your findings and to @Lon Denard for starting the thread. I’ve often wondered about getting all of these and knowing they shake/snap/break wires, etc, then I’m out. But will be checking the polarpo leg extenders. Thanks guys.

That's what it should be about! Just for the record, I like the Polar Pro leg extenders better but they don't fit in the 3DR backpack, are in your shots more and I've had them break as well. I went back to the ones that came with the dang thing! I do remember that a couple companies came out with longer rubber leg extenders in a few colors. You could get them on Amazon last I knew.

Same here. Very pleased with them
How many times have you folded and unfolded them? Mine weren't 3d printed either, unlike the sliders and clip, but started to fail after 20 to 30 cycles. Got to the point where one would come apart everytime

Great idea, but as Lon said, they need a pin

I think what happened is that they redesigned them from when these old guys got them and when we got them. I literally got jumped in a thread when I said that they fell apart. Apparently, the guy that ran the company was friends with people here. Mine came apart every few times I would unfold them. Like I said, I got tired of them and went back to the stock ones.

Mine have been very good - a few hundred opens and closes - they are the V2 units and very strong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela