Question regarding Model BB11A W/ Pre-installed Gimbal

Reaction score
Based on information I've read on this forum and others, there is a 3DR Solo Bundle (Model# BB11A), that comes with the gimbal pre-installed, the Rev B GPS Module, and the Backpack. The bundle is currently in stock on Bestbuy.com. Given all the posts and Youtube videos regarding gimbal vibration problems, does it make sense to purchase this bundle? The assumption being that because the gimbal was factory-installed, HDMI cable routing and gimbal clearances should be near perfect. Or... am I better off buying the other popular bundle, and installing the gimbal myself by following the Youtube videos that show how to reroute the HDMI cable around the motherboard support post, and to add vibration-dampening foam to completely isolate the HDMI cable from the gimbal? Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I doubt whoever installed it took their time. Everyone is over thinking this rev a vs b.

As far as GPS neither are great just plan on upgrading. There is a plug and play option for $80 and be done with it. I had rev b lost GPS twice hovering in my front yard.

Taking off the gimble and routing the wires takes 5 min. I took it a step further and checked them from the top of Solo under the gps card and that took no more than 15 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SARDG
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it's worth it to just install the gimbal myself. I actually enjoy tinkering, and I prefer knowing that the gimbal is properly installed with proper cable routing. I was surprised to hear of your Rev B experiences in your front yard. Based on opinions I've read here, I thought the rev B board was the answer to all GPS woes. In any case, I went ahead and purchased the mRo NEO-M8N and the V2 GPS Shield.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it's worth it to just install the gimbal myself. I actually enjoy tinkering, and I prefer knowing that the gimbal is properly installed with proper cable routing. I was surprised to hear of your Rev B experiences in your front yard. Based on opinions I've read here, I thought the rev B board was the answer to all GPS woes. In any case, I went ahead and purchased the mRo NEO-M8N and the V2 GPS Shield.

Good call the mro m8n makes an big difference connecting and number of satellites acquired. Not sure if it's a placebo effect but Solo seems much more stable which means even better video quality. I didn't purchase the shield wanted to test just GPS card first which seems great so far. If you're still up for buying stuff I would suggest the ALFA antennas found on Amazon. They were about $21 shipped and they doubled my range.

This is my first drone and it's nothing to take it apart.

I would suggest the ALFA antennas found on Amazon. They were about $21 shipped and they doubled my range.

What is your range after using the ALFA? I need it to go out 1/2 mile over dense jungle, unseen. Preferably I need almost a mile.

What is your range after using the ALFA? I need it to go out 1/2 mile over dense jungle, unseen. Preferably I need almost a mile.

Highly doubt any antenna for Solo will get you out that far in those conditions. I can think of a lot of reasons why Mavic would be a better option for that environment.

I believe One negative with the preinstalled gimbal is you don't get the fixed mount. The fixed mount is great for other projects like mapping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, it needs to just follow GPS coordinates so it can go out of antenna range.

I did not know that about the gimbal not having a fixed mount. Now I'm even more sure I need to do a return even before it gets here. Now I'm thinking about Autel because the Amazon reviews are incredible compared to DJI products and it's less expensive than the Mavic.

I did not know that about the gimbal not having a fixed mount. Now I'm even more sure I need to do a return even before it gets here. Now I'm thinking about Autel because the Amazon reviews are incredible compared to DJI products and it's less expensive than the Mavic.
The Autel X Pro is indeed a superior machine to DJI and their toy fleet, 3/4ths of which they just dropped (all the lower priced ones btw). The Mavic is the poster child for aliasing and moire in the videos. It is too lengthy to discuss here but to say, crap compression, up sampling, limited bandwidth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40