Question please if you don't mind helping?

Reaction score
To all you fellows Solo'ers, when you fir the polar pro nd lens to the GoPro H4B, do you fit/need to weight the gimbal?

If you how and how much/which weight do you use?

Mine are to me delivered today and. of course, ahem, they will be fitted straight away. :)

I just don't want to damage my gimbal with undue weight/stress to the motors.

Thank you very much for your valuable knowledge.

-Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many folks fly without balancing
I did for a while myself before buying a balance kit from IMP concepts
it will not hurt it short term, long term you can look for a solution.

Reactions: speatuk
To all you fellows Solo'ers, when you fir the polar pro nd lens to the GoPro H4B, do you fit/need to weight the gimbal?

If you how and how much/which weight do you use?

Mine are to me delivered today and. of course, ahem, they will be fitted straight away. :)

I just don't want to damage my gimbal with undue weight/stress to the motors.

Thank you very much for your valuable knowledge.

-Steve

I haven't bothered balancing for the ND filters yet. I use filters for video but not still shots. Can't hurt to balance for sure. But, in my opinion, the whole balance of the gimbal is being thrown off. What balances at one camera angle may not at another unless the counter weights are properly placed

There are a number of simple low-cost solutions. I found a video on Youtube showing how to add a bit of hook and loop material to the gimbal in two spots so you can regain balance in all directions using coins and small washers to find the proper counterbalance to filters and/or new lenses. I can't access YT now or I'd provide a specific link.

Thanks everyone really appreciate all the replies

I'll have a look when I put them on and see how it goes.

Thank you again.

using the coins limped one of my gimbals
it was perfectly balanced, but when you pointed it straight down it would overload the motors and go limp
took the coins off and it was fine
the dead weight or IMP concepts kits are the best method. I like them because the slide along the camera and so if you take filters on and off you can re balance on the fly

I would guess if the coin method limped your gimbal it was not properly counterbalanced in the first place. The IMP clip also concentrates all the counterbalance weight in one place instead of two which has a greater likelihood of changing the weight balance as the gimbal moves. So, I'm not seeing the advantage of the IMP system.

Personally, if I'm not using a filter I'm using a similar clear lens protector so the counterbalance weight is always the same. One small washer on the far end of the gimbal to balance it side to side, one coin on the back of the gimbal and on the opposite end of the camera from the lens to balance the camera pan up and down. With the proper weights attached my gimbal is neutrally balanced in all directions. The hook and loop also allows for placing the counterbalance weight in different positions inboard and outboard to find the exact counterbalance with the closest available weight which would be similar to sliding the IMP clamp side to side. I also carry a few extra washers and coins of slightly different weights so I can adjust in the field if needed. I'll have to rebalance when I finally get my new GPF4B all set up.

Regardless, we each have our preferred method, the bottom line is it is entirely worth it to do the work to balance the gimbal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc