Props so bad they are not worth balancing

Reaction score
I have 4 boxes of props and I'm surprised at how bad some of them are. Generally it's the hubs that are throwing them off but it takes a ton of CF to balance them.

Perhaps I'm the worlds worst balancer so I'm wondering if others have run into this.

Do you have new props that seem to be manufactured to really bad specs?

P.S. I've watched the videos on how to do this and I'm a mechanically inclined person but again, I could possibly really suck at this.

Prop balancing is one of the basic capabilities you should bring with you for this hobby and is actually no rocket science. Buy a good balancer (you can use also the ones designed for DJI Phantom props if that helps :)) and watch one of the gazillion "how to balance props" vids on YouTube.

Prop balancing is one of the basic capabilities you should bring with you for this hobby and is actually no rocket science. Buy a good balancer (you can use also the ones designed for DJI Phantom props if that helps :)) and watch one of the gazillion "how to balance props" vids on YouTube.
I appreciate the reply--THANKS.

Here's the thing, I have several props that balanced well with out having to put a ton of CF (glue or other balancing liquids).

The point I was trying to make, and perhaps was not too clear on, I have some props that seem to be made poorly. It takes a lot to get them in balance.

I was wondering if it is just me or if other people have purchased props that seems to be sub standard.

I think I was not descriptive enough in my original post perhaps.

Well I had 12 Solo props so far, all on par to the hundreds I had balanced over the past 30 years in RC modeling.
PS: I would not use glue to balance, way too inaccurate to dose it correctly.
Better is to use tape, best is to use fine sandpaper.

@Brett Foland, balancing self tightening props accurately is a PITA. I share your frustration.
I have found the balancing shaft is usually a big contributor in the out of balance readings you get when trying to balance a ST prop.
Normally, when you balance a prop, you turn the balance shaft 90 degrees and check again, this takes the shaft out of the equation and confirms that your shaft is not bent and that the prop is central on the shaft. With ST props you cannot do this and the prop remains slightly unbalanced.
If you look very closely at the shaft thread as it bottoms into the prop thread, it moves a little off center. This will effect your end result.
Ive got 4 different shafts and they all do the same thing.
I use 2 balancers to try and overcome this with Solo props. A rolling, and a magnetic, and between the two I can get props balanced to where I am happy. If the props had a machined hole through the center balancing would be more accurate because you could turn the shaft whilst balancing..
Some manufacturers know this, and the newer design ST props (Aero naut cam carbon light ST) are now coming out with pre-drilled ST prop hubs and a special threaded balancing shaft that goes right through the hub, to accommodate this. Much better design.
The Solo props out of the box are not that bad, if you are having major issues look to your balancing shaft and try and look for problems in execution.

Well I had 12 Solo props so far, all on par to the hundreds I had balanced over the past 30 years in RC modeling.
PS: I would not use glue to balance, way too inaccurate to dose it correctly.
Better is to use tape, best is to use fine sandpaper.
Just curious. How do you use tape for balancing the hub!?

I use glue for the hub all the time and I find it zero "inaccurate"... Just saying.

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44