Prop Guards

I had a job to fly indoors recently, so I put on the prop gaurds. It gave me a sense of protection. But eventually, flying indoors in this gym, the heating ducts airflow caught the solo and it drifted into a wall. A minor crash. Normally, a crash like that would have shatteded a couple of props. Upon inspection , I found that indeed one prop did get a nasty chip in it. So, the gaurds saved 75% of the props. Was it worth it? I guess so, but I rarely use them.

When I know that I need to fly in close proximity to people, I will put them on. I would rather have a bit of insurance, and take the hit on performance.
Good point- I never thought of them as "spectator protectors".

Hit a tree 5m up and fell hard, prop guards on.
Bent gimbal arm was the only damage, no prop damage and the guards stayed put.
They are best at protecting you from bumping into things rather then a heavy crash though.

I have a cabin in the woods on the Oregon coast and I installed the prop guards while flying in and around the tall fir trees. Seemed like cheap insurance, they did reduce my flight time, but it seemed worth the trade off. Back in CA in the central valley farm country, I don't use them for reasons stated above. They are in my kit, though.

I literally used mine today. I ran a mission on tower today with auto take of and land. When it landed it motored down like normal. Then all of a sudden it went crazy tipping against the ground on the prop guards and then bouncing off of a retaining wall. Props and copter are fine. I would have lost at least two props with out them and possibly more.

I had a job to fly indoors recently, so I put on the prop gaurds. It gave me a sense of protection. But eventually, flying indoors in this gym, the heating ducts airflow caught the solo and it drifted into a wall. A minor crash. Normally, a crash like that would have shatteded a couple of props. Upon inspection , I found that indeed one prop did get a nasty chip in it. So, the gaurds saved 75% of the props. Was it worth it? I guess so, but I rarely use them.

When I know that I need to fly in close proximity to people, I will put them on. I would rather have a bit of insurance, and take the hit on performance.

Thanks, that was helpful :)

Hummm, I just got my Polar Pro prop guards in the mail this morning, and they hit my Master Airscrew Solo props. No way to make them clear. I haven't tried with the stock props yet. I just buzz around in my own yard (1 acre) and lots of trees, bushes and vines, so I thought they might be a good idea.

Prop guards are like a fishing net for trees. Pretty much guaranteed it you fly into a tree you Solo will get stuck.
I'd only use them indoors or if I absolutely needed to fly near people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Solo Keith
I say buy a DJI Mavic Pro and enjoy flying! I bought a solo to learn how to fly and then moved on to the Mavic Pro. Night and day the performance difference and obstacles avoidance! Handed the Solo down to my teenager and now we enjoy a great hobby together.

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

I received my first drone for Christmas and it is a 3dr Solo. I have already flown it and, unfortunately crashed it. I attempted to land it on my porch, but the Solos hit the wood railing and it broke two of the propellers. It appears that everything is okay and it was just those the two propellers that were damaged.

I have a couple questions..
1. I have found prop guards on Amazon by PolarPro. As anyone had any experience with them and do you recommend them? https://www.amazon.com/PolarPro-Prop-Guard-Snap-Design/dp/B016EWOAGW/
2. Are aftermarket prop guards of any kind recommended. Maybe I shouldn't modify the Solo?

Thanks,
Phil

Hey I would wait to get the prop guards, I have always find they don't help much and actually make you crash more if you get close to something. Trick is don't fly indoors. That's pretty hard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela