Portable Drives

Reaction score
My son is talking about a road trip during spring break, car and camera. Got me to thinking about a standalone portable HD while on the road. Just started the search, does anyone have an opinion?

One that would accept a memory card directly, SD and/or microSD. USB powered. A minimum of 2TB+. encrypted? PW protected? Rugged? Mobile app?

My son is talking about a road trip during spring break, car and camera. Got me to thinking about a standalone portable HD while on the road. Just started the search, does anyone have an opinion?

One that would accept a memory card directly, SD and/or microSD. USB powered. A minimum of 2TB+. encrypted? PW protected? Rugged? Mobile app?
Doesn't have SD port, but otherwise this is probably the one to go with:
LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB 3.0 | LaCieStorage.com

(The SSD versions are super rugged, but the hard drive versions are also plenty rugged if your semi careful. And of course the hard drive versions are a better price per GB)

Got to have an SD port at a minimum...thanks for the suggestion though. Like the SSD idea, bang for the buck not so much.

I'm reading mixed reviews on the WD My Passport wireless, it meets the criteria. Anyone use one of these?

Got to have an SD port at a minimum...thanks for the suggestion though. Like the SSD idea, bang for the buck not so much.

I'm reading mixed reviews on the WD My Passport wireless, it meets the criteria. Anyone use one of these?
Uh, for what it's worth I don't see any SD card support on the WD My Passport...(EDIT: I went back and see it on their wireless model). To be honest I'm not even sure why you would need an SD card reader. Besides, wireless is going to be VERY slow for HD video transfers. Just use your laptop.

Anyway, it sounded like "rugged" for a road trip was the priority, but those WD Passports definitely aren't rugged. The Lacie *Rugged* drives are designed with that in mind - and having dropped more than a few, they definitely live up to their name.

Of course there are also the very rugged G-Drive ev RaW and G-drive ev ATC. Those also come in a hard disk and an SSD version, but once again, no SD card reader. (Are you really sure you need that?) The ATC version can be dropped from over 6 feet, and it's waterproof. But now we're talking full on back country rugged... not road trip with some hiking rugged.

Of course g-techs reputation is much much better than la cie or WD, but a lot of indie filmmakers use the LaCie ruggeds. I've seen carts stacked with them. Personally I'm a little suspect of quality control for LaCie, but very very suspect of WD. But who knows, maybe someone will chime in otherwise.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm not even sure why you would need an SD card reader.
Well, no laptop is one reason... I never could justify the cost for an Alienware laptop, desktop no problem...

Just want something to dump files off to and is small/light enough to not become a burden to keep handy.

Well, no laptop is one reason... I never could justify the cost for an Alienware laptop, desktop no problem...

Just want something to dump files off to and is small/light enough to not become a burden to keep handy.
Ah. Well that makes sense. Personally I'd be nervous that an error might occur in the transfer of files. I'd want to be able to check the drive to see if the files transferred successfully before wiping the SD card.

Rich,

I was able to purchase a "new" one of these, HP Stream ( Amazon.com: HP Stream 8 Tablet 32GB Windows 8.1(Certified Refurbished): Computers & Accessories ) from the Microsoft Store for $80. It's now on windows 10 and works fine for the way I use it. I then purchased a very portable USB 3.0 512GB Transcend SSD Drive ( Amazon.com: Transcend 512GB USB 3.0 ESD400 Portable Solid State Hard Drive with Case + Cleaning Cloth: TRANSCEND: Computers & Accessories ). I paid less as I got it new on sale. I also got a small portable (Micro USB) Micro SD/USB hub for maybe $20-30(?) and a larger Micro SD card for the extra SD slot in the Stream. The whole setup cost me a few hundred bucks.

While in the field, I can pretty much do anything that I can do from a laptop. I can transfer files to the SSD, do firmware upgrades/downgrades, pretty much anything. I don't use this setup very much because I only use it in the field but will be taking it with me to Texas tomorrow. Everything is updated and ready to go! Just a route to consider. The whole setup will fit in your Solo case.

Jerry

Ah. Well that makes sense. Personally I'd be nervous that an error might occur in the transfer of files. I'd want to be able to check the drive to see if the files transferred successfully before wiping the SD card.
I agree. But from what I've read on the WD is that you can then access via phone or tablet, giving you the ability to confirm a successful transfer. It's not an ideal solution, a portable drive, but makes sense in its form factor and purpose.

Before suggested, I'm not interested in a cloud solution.

or pack along a whole bunch of cards
That's my current solution. But he'll be using one of my older Olympus cameras and a GP, so two different memory cards and no need to invest further in the Oly proprietary memory.

For you and me the solution sounds very usable, for the boy however, well he's like his mother... "Why doesn't this just work?"

...but will be taking it with me to Texas tomorrow. Everything is updated and ready to go! Just a route to consider.

Really? Do you already have your Visa permit to enter Texas? Further, you are required to have a minimum of one weapon per person, two is ideal. Your P3 could be declared a weapon, so you may be good there.... ;)

For you and me the solution sounds very usable, for the boy however, well he's like his mother... "Why doesn't this just work?" Really? Do you already have your Visa permit to enter Texas? Further, you are required to have a minimum of one weapon per person, two is ideal. Your P3 could be declared a weapon, so you may be good there.... ;)

Hey, it works. Same issue, different solution. I'll be taking the Solo and the "white" one. On a few test runs it worked great for both units.

Oh, I'll have plenty of weapons, remember, I live in the Boonies! Out here, I can just walk out on my deck and drop a few hundred AR rounds. We actually have "shooting days" out here. Everything comes out. All weapons, laid on a big slab of carpet. Everyone gets a turn and you can fire whatever you want. My Daughters used to love it when they were at home (they're all grown up now). Nothing will scare the boys off more than the Daughter, laying prone, with an AR blasting targets, or standing and dropping 357 or 44 mag rounds dead on target. All posted to their "friends" on Facechatter!

Visa? What?

Good luck with your endeavor! I'm looking forward to doing some flying in Texas and hooking up with Raybro.

Jerry

Rich,
Our production team uses the NEXTO DI Storage Bridge NSB-25 Modular Memory Card NESV-NSB25 Stupid spendy, but both Nexto and Sanho make systems that either use internal or your own external drive, starting around 200.00. Biggest challenge is the small Nexto that I tried, battery was only good for four days.
I'd suggest a tablet with a lot of storage, if you have one available.
Failing that...you can buy a lot of 64GB cards for 200.00

Might be expensive, but this fits what you are looking for. A rugged hard drive with an LCD screen and built in card reader..

Or This, at only $249

Reactions: erikgraham
Wow, all great solutions, thanks for the references. Just need to read up and determine which solution will meet both of our needs. Having said that, it now appears the Win tablet is an option to consider...

This will be the most expensive road trip I wont be going on...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks