Please Disregard, I Made A Mistake And Asked A Stupid Question. Thanks

Reaction score
I don't see anything on the manual that covers removing the FAA mandated altitude limit but "no limit" appeared as an option today.. So I tried it and got 800' before I got nervous and brought it back down to 400. Is this standard? I don't remember seeing this option in the manual but I admit that I haven't gone over it again yet. Just interested in any thoughts. Thanks.

I swear to you that I didn't see that at first! Could it be because I recently enabled advanced flight modes?

Well in any case, thank you for your reply! I've told dozens of people that this thing has a 400' ceiling! Man was I wrong! There's a guy that claims he got his over 8,000' ! I not sure how he did it though considering the range. I'd imagine it required some antennae mods at the least.

Yes I believe you need advanced flight modes enabled to exceed the 400ft limit in the menu.

Is there a reason you are so excited about breaking the law with the altitude limitations? There is really only one circumstance where disabling this and climbing beyond the indicated 400ft is legal. And that's clearly not what you're doing.

Someone claiming he was at 8000ft would be up on a mountain or other high terrain. That person was referring to feet above sea level. Not feet above ground.

Well in any case, thank you for your reply! I've told dozens of people that this thing has a 400' ceiling! Man was I wrong! There's a guy that claims he got his over 8,000' ! I not sure how he did it though considering the range. I'd imagine it required some antennae mods at the least.
I would have to question the validity of that claim just based at how long it would take SOLO to climb that high and safely return. A couple of thousand feet isn't out of the question though.

I swear to you that I didn't see that at first! Could it be because I recently enabled advanced flight modes?

That's correct. Version 9 of the Solo manual, page 67 says:

8.7 Maximum Altitude Adjustment
... A No Limit option is available if you turn on Advanced Settings > Enable Advanced Flight Modes. If you opt for No Limit, ensure that you always operate Solo within your visual line of sight and in compliance with local regulations.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-15_19-9-8.png
    upload_2017-1-15_19-9-8.png
    11 KB · Views: 30
Yes I believe you need advanced flight modes enabled to exceed the 400ft limit in the menu.

Is there a reason you are so excited about breaking the law with the altitude limitations? There is really only one circumstance where disabling this and climbing beyond the indicated 400ft is legal. And that's clearly not what you're doing.

Someone claiming he was at 8000ft would be up on a mountain or other high terrain. That person was referring to feet above sea level. Not feet above ground.

Oh no sir, I'm not interested in breaking the law in any way. I've registered both of my units with the FAA and everything. I had just never noticed that before and was surprised to see it today. Obviously, it doesn't make it any more legal but I ran out up to about 800' just to see if it would do it and right back down. I have it reset to 400'. The only reason I even noticed the option was there was because a kid came up to me and asked how high it would go, so I planned to show him on the screen and found out that "no limit" was there! Oops! Hahaha!

Reactions: Russ Knight
That's correct. Version 9 of the Solo manual, page 67 says:

8.7 Maximum Altitude Adjustment
... A No Limit option is available if you turn on Advanced Settings > Enable Advanced Flight Modes. If you opt for No Limit, ensure that you always operate Solo within your visual line of sight and in compliance with local regulations.

Thank you very much! I completely missed that or I've forgotten it! Now I have to figure out if it's "legal" to fly higher than 400' and if so, what are the circumstances. I'll look that up just for my own curiosity. After my last crash, I'm too nervous to stray too far outside the box. I normally keep it around 200' or less anyway.

Okay I have to say that the footage that I got at 800' is flat out amazing! I pointed the camera down and got awesome shots of the frozen ponds and lakes where I was filming! The sun was shining, not too many people were around. Just perfect!

Okay I have to say that the footage that I got at 800' is flat out amazing! I pointed the camera down and got awesome shots of the frozen ponds and lakes where I was filming! The sun was shining, not too many people were around. Just perfect!
Just curious but how much battery did you have left when you landed?

Just curious but how much battery did you have left when you landed?

Well I flew around afterwards so I landed at 20%. I flew for 13 minutes of video if that helps... It was approx 36 degrees. Light wind. The battery wasn't completely charged to begin with. As you probably know, they lose charge just sitting around. I probably started out at 80%.

Oh and I had the performance maxed out so I could cover a lot of ground. Since the camera was pointed down, it eliminated props in my shot but I got some leg in there a couple times.

Id like to see the video. And even in watching the vids from the 3dr flight school you can see "no limit" in the tutorial.

P.S. anyone ever find out why pedals is such a grump? I don't think I have read one thing he's posted that wasn't douchey.....

Id like to see the video. And even in watching the vids from the 3dr flight school you can see "no limit" in the tutorial.

P.S. anyone ever find out why pedals is such a grump? I don't think I have read one thing he's posted that wasn't douchey.....

You are absolutely right! I was stupid for starting this thread! My apologies. I do remember seeing the no limit option in the videos but I ASSumed that it had been removed per FAA regs or something. I should have just kept it to myself but I wanted to contribute. Now I see with some research, research that should have been done prior to posting, that it's a well covered topic. I can only hope that I can be forgiven for this oversite and please believe that's it's a mistake that will not be repeated. I promise to thoroughly research every subject before I post about it going forward or at least keep it to myself.

Thank you for your reply and your patience.

Don't worry about it, Lon. The fact you are researching, and looking things up is a big plus in your favor. Folks who take the time to at least try to find the answer, goes a long ways with the people on here. If you have problems finding what you need to know, just ask away. I guarantee someone here will be able to help. After all, the only stupid question, is the one that doesn't get asked....:confused:

Reactions: Mlk75
A forum member for a week, and your third post is to seek out and insult people. You'll go real far here....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela