Playing with light

Reaction score
Looked slow in here, again, warmer weather and an hour's worth of flying time...

Sun light and drones don't mix well. Picking the time of day is not always ideal, but you make it work best you can. The off-white container blew out the image and then the CP filter played with the sky color. Learning by doing.

Comments welcome...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What happens if you face the sun without the polarizing filter?

Haven't we seen those light poles before?o_O

I always loved how the CP really brings out the colors on the ground. You might try an ND8CP or ND16CP. Get the best of both worlds.

or go with the graduated filters rather than CP
They do a better job with the sky.
do you orient your filters in any specific direction?
I have always pointed the Peu logo at the top but I have some of the same issues with the sky you showed

As for fisheye, that is totally a personal thing. One of my most admired shooters always shoots fisheye, he likes the effect.
For me I hate it, its a dead giveaway that your shooting gopro. but to each their own

The lens rotation varies depending on conditions and sun angle. In hold the lens up to my eye and rotate it until I see tht glare on ground disappear. Then put it on the camera in that orientation.

I wish someone made a graduated ND32-8CP. But even then it all depends on the subject of your shots. If you're shooting mostly at the ground, graduated would look funny. For landscape shots it is ideal.

I always loved how the CP really brings out the colors on the ground.
I agree, but my eyes see the colors as exaggerated. I wish I had a better eye or understanding for what I'm seeing, just takes time and experience to develop.

I did some testing off a tripod using various frame rates, PT Flat/GP-color and EV Comp a week ago. Shooting into the shadows, with the sun at 1PM. Prior to that I did a filter swap with the sun at my back. Without question CP helps in the reflected light, otherwise it's just an odd filter. I have the PP 6-pack, I ran through the selection and other than increasing motion blur, I saw no improvements to image quality that I was expecting. Likely my lack of experience to see any improvements.

I have concluded, the best aerial videos are shot with filtered sun, cloud cover. Rare to see otherwise. Vernon seems to have the knack, but he is the exception with editing skills. I'm glad I don't make a living flying a drone, I'd be on welfare at this point....

Pyrate, I do orient the CP filter on the vertical axis. I have tested on the horizontal, but must have been lack luster as I can't recall the results. I use the CP filter as a tool for ID the vibe thing. When things are working right, the camera actually works fairly well with just a CP.

This particular gimbal seems to have issues, starts pointing slightly right and then will have horizon tilt through the first few minutes. This video was testing how it was performing. It's likely needing a FW updated, as it was new out of the box. Just glad milder weather is back.

yeah me too, sadly even though weather is nice, I am the central figure in a 2 million dollar system replacement going from old client server based proprietary system to a Cloud based SalesForce solution for our entire company.
It is going to be sucking the life out of me until July

I am trying to sneak in time to finish my DIY and get my video production business off the ground now that I actually have my 107 and a new ground camera coming

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela