Playing with advanced flight modes

Reaction score
Someone on the forum kindly pointed out that, to access advanced flight modes, you need to assign the mode to the quick launch buttons.

I tried out the FLY:Manual mode, the Acro mode, and the Sport mode this morning.

FLY:Manual seemed to just eliminate the drift lock. It still flew very much like FLY.

Acro still gives you some altitude lock help but lets you pitch as far as you want which allows barrel rolls and loop d loops. I gave myself plenty of altitude before performing a roll but was surprised at how much altitude I lost during the maneuver. Practice helps. Give yourself plenty of height before engaging Acro mode for the first time and be ready to punch it back into FLY if things get hairy.

Sport let's you pitch like crazy but won't quite let you roll over. This is a great mode for speed, but with speed comes quick loss of altitude. I started my speed run atop a large hill so I had the perfect slope to fall with and build up speed over a quarter mile or so. I'd be surprised if I didn't break 55.

Acro mode is hair raising. Easiest way to crash your Solo hard. But Sport mode seems like a lot of fun if you have the open space to get some speed built up. So far my favorite flight mode.

Yea I agree. Cool.

Not sure I am that gutsy yet. Just the warning with advanced modes intimidated me.

Someone on the forum kindly pointed out that, to access advanced flight modes, you need to assign the mode to the quick launch buttons.

I tried out the FLY:Manual mode, the Acro mode, and the Sport mode this morning.

FLY:Manual seemed to just eliminate the drift lock. It still flew very much like FLY.

Acro still gives you some altitude lock help but lets you pitch as far as you want which allows barrel rolls and loop d loops. I gave myself plenty of altitude before performing a roll but was surprised at how much altitude I lost during the maneuver. Practice helps. Give yourself plenty of height before engaging Acro mode for the first time and be ready to punch it back into FLY if things get hairy.

Sport let's you pitch like crazy but won't quite let you roll over. This is a great mode for speed, but with speed comes quick loss of altitude. I started my speed run atop a large hill so I had the perfect slope to fall with and build up speed over a quarter mile or so. I'd be surprised if I didn't break 55.

Acro mode is hair raising. Easiest way to crash your Solo hard. But Sport mode seems like a lot of fun if you have the open space to get some speed built up. So far my favorite flight mode.

Have you tried the 'Drift' mode yet? That was a lot of fun on my TBS Discovery with Pixhawk. It's like flying an airplane in that it does coordinated turns.

Have you tried the 'Drift' mode yet? That was a lot of fun on my TBS Discovery with Pixhawk. It's like flying an airplane in that it does coordinated turns.
I just read up on drift mode. That's really cool! Can't wait to give it a shot later.

I read this about an hour ago and immediately went and tried out sport mode. You're right it's really exhilirating I loved it. I don't quite know what happened but my gimbal kept going limp two or three times in the 15 minutes I was flying it for. Does anyone else have this issue or do I have a dodgy gimbal? Also The controller was only about 30 meters away from the drone and it said it lost signal with the solo. Solo was also losing connection with the gps satellites? I don't know why this has happened all of a sudden

Last edited:
I read this about an hour ago and immediately went and tried out sport mode. You're right it's really exhilirating I loved it. I don't quite know what happened but my gimbal kept going limp two or three times in the 15 minutes I was flying it for. Does anyone else have this issue or do I have a dodgy gimbal? Also The controller was only about 30 meters away from the drone and it said it lost signal with the solo. Solo was also losing connection with the gps satellites? I don't know why this has happened all of a sudden

Were you going inverted or high bank angles? That would explain the GPS loss.
If you were at high bank angles you could have exceeded the limits of your gimbal. I assume it tries to reset and goes limp for a bit afterwards when its limits are exceeded.
Also during high bank angles the linearity polarized antennas on the copter can have a significant dB loss due to polarization mismatch with the controller antennas. That would help explain the controller connection loss if you had lots of WiFi noise in the area.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea