Photography question about the use of filters

Reaction score
Website
www.macswebs.com
I've used polarizing filters in the past, but not neutral density filters. I just got a set of filters and included were a ND4 and ND8. I read and understand when using each would be advantageous, but I'm am curious about appropriate settings on the camera. Do I need to make any adjustments to my camera settings when using a ND filter or does the GoPro adjust accordingly for what it is "seeing"?

For example, I have my camera set on Protune with GoPro color, automatic white balance and a 400 ISO. Do I need to adjust any of these for a ND filter?

Nope. What you have set should be fine. The ISO can probably stay on Auto too.

All those other options and settings are actually not very ideal for use on a drone. The nature of a camera that moves around in the sky is the lighting conditions of what the camera is looking at is constantly changing. Shadows, open sunlit area, facing towards the sun, facing away from the sun, etc. All those settings like fixed ISO, fixed shutter/exposure, fixed white balance all require a shot that doesn't have all those things changing.

All those other options and settings are actually not very ideal for use on a drone. The nature of a camera that moves around in the sky is the lighting conditions of what the camera is looking at is constantly changing. Shadows, open sunlit area, facing towards the sun, facing away from the sun, etc. All those settings like fixed ISO, fixed shutter/exposure, fixed white balance all require a shot that doesn't have all those things changing.

I've just been using the recommended settings outlined by 3DR but I haven't flown enough yet to experiment and see what works better or not so thanks for that input, it will help me avoid shooting some bad video and photos.

The GoPro controls get kind of restricted with Protune turned on so I may play around a bit and see what settings I can control with it on and off.

Actually take a look at this link it has some good information. Its a basic intro to using the GoPro with filters. It will suffice for most folks.

Why do I need an ND filter when filming with a Drone?

It is funny, the article is from Polar Pro and in the listing for the GoPro 3 filter set, they some contradicting things. For example, the article says ND8 if for cloudy days but the sales listing says ND8 is for bright sunlight. Hmm. I guess personal experience will be more meaningful.

Anyway, I flew later in the day the other day with the ND8 filter on. It was sunny but close to 5pm. Anyway, that filter was way too dark for the light available. Lately this is the time of day I can fly so I'll have to try the ND4 filter instead.

Could I ask how you have your GoPro set (Protune on or not, etc) and which firmware its running? It makes a difference if you want the most out of your footage.

Could I ask how you have your GoPro set (Protune on or not, etc) and which firmware its running? It makes a difference if you want the most out of your footage.

3+ Black set on Protune and 3.03 if I remember correctly. I don't think the 3+ Black can take a firmware higher than that.

Ok that helps. I don't have the 3+ so I am not completely familiar with all its settings. Keep in mind the reason for using filters is to get the shutter speed down close to match the fps you are shooting to help with jello effects from vibration and movement. As mentioned in the article I referenced above if you shoot at 30fps you will roughly want to shoot at an aperture that is double the fps for a cinematic quality to your video. Its a guide line most video folks aim for. I am pretty sure you have no control over your shutter speed in the 3+ (you do in the newest firmware of the Hero 4 which is why I asked) so you will need to try and limit it with your ISO and ND filter combination. If your shutter gets to slow you get blur, too fast and you get jitter and jump and jello looks worse!

You are on the right track, experimentation. Experience will tell you when to use which ND filter. Shooting in Protune gives you the most latitude to fix in post processing. If you are not interested in doing anything with your video in post than you may be very happy with shooting everything in auto. If you want to get more from your footage you will be forced to take more control over your footage. Completely up to you.

Here is another link to the GoPro site explaining your Protune settings. They are very helpful to get you going with using settings with filters. Pay attention to the note in the exposure section and using exposure compensation to explain how it works with your camera. I would rather have my footage underexposed and bump it in post to get the correct exposure. I hope this helps you a bit.

Advanced Protune Controls Explained

I know its not applicable to your set up but here is what I use for 95% aerial footage.
GoPro 4 Silver
2.7K at 30fps linear
ISO dependent on time of day shooting
White Balance - Native sometimes 5500k for sun
GoPro color if in a hurry or just messing around footage
Sharpness medium if in a hurry, low if doing more post work
With filters I may bump exposure up .5 to 1 when snow is present but generally correct in post.

Last edited:
Reactions: carpy
Ya Know ..... you're right! In your experience what settings have you found to work the best? I'm using a HERO 4 Black. I've decided I need to get a set of filters but not sure which ones to get (Photodiox or PolarPro). I need something for when I'm flying my 3DR and also for when I'm recording video when I'm fighting reflections etc.

I generally don't even bother turning on Pro Tune at all. Just leave it The only thing I do is use an appropriate filter for the conditions. ND8 or ND8PL for overcast conditions. ND16 or ND16PL for bright sunny conditions. ND32 or ND16PL for bright sunny conditions at the beach, desert, or snow due to the surface being highly reflective. I have the Polar Pro 6-Pack.

I generally don't even bother turning on Pro Tune at all. Just leave it The only thing I do is use an appropriate filter for the conditions. ND8 or ND8PL for overcast conditions. ND16 or ND16PL for bright sunny conditions. ND32 or ND16PL for bright sunny conditions at the beach, desert, or snow due to the surface being highly reflective. I have the Polar Pro 6-Pack.
When I'm flying now I use the GoPro sun shade that comes with the gimbal but what do you do when using these filters? Does anyone make a sunshade that works with the filters installed? I hate seeing the prop flickering in the video. What's your take on the PhotoDIOX filters?

IMP Concepts makes a sunshade that will work over the Polar Pro filters. I have it. I'm not familiar with the Photo Diox filters.

Thanks PDP. I didn't realize (or forgot) that IMP Concepts made a sunshade to use with the PolarPro filters. I'm going to have to look into that. The interesting part about the PhotoDiox filters ( Fotodiox Pro WonderPana Go H3+ Naked Standard Kit - GoTough Filter Adapter System f/ GoPro HERO3+ and HERO4 Naked Camera Without Case with Three Filters (UV, CPL, ND8) ) is that they have a set screw to secure the filter mount to the camera. However, now that I'm looking at them I wonder if they would work due to their large diameter, that and possibly being a LOT heavier than the PolarPro's. I've sent in a request for their filter weights but haven't heard back yet. I may go with their set that attaches to the GoPro housing, mainly to be able to use the CP filter. I've done several MECUM Auto Auctions and am constantly challenged with the highly reflective paint on the vehicles :) ............. that and 'sticker shock' LOL . Thanks for your reply. I think the Polar Pro's are the way to go fur using with SOLO.

you only need to turn on protune if you plan to color in post
that is why I shoot all mine with protune, everything I shoot gets color graded.
But for fast run and gun actions stuff you may be happy with how gopro colors footage

I need to learn how to color grade and make use of that. I'm generally happy with the non-protune GoPro color. But I'm also not turning out production material and selling it. It's just for fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela