Phantom 4

This is a huge waste of both our times, let's move on to something constructive. All I'm saying is being the leader and with all these competitors coming in I expected a bit more. I'm open to who makes my next bird, whoever meets my needs and has a jump on the rest will get my money. I'm brand loyal to an extent, but if a competitors better I'll switch. Good luck with your p4 or whatever you get and fly safe.

I know my next copter will have a pixhawk2
and since we don't know what the next copter will be that runs a pixhawk2 that is exciting to me.
My solo will hold me until that happens

we will wait what 3dr next move so the battle competition will be fun.

Last edited:
Apparently there is also a maximum altitude of 400' encoded in the firmware and that has already raised some complaints, for obvious reasons.

Agreed. Very very impressive. I'll wait a while for reviews to make sure all the tracking stuff really works as advertised, then I'll be picking one up.
Actually I might wait for them to release the Pro version - hopefully with avoidance cameras on all 4 sides instead of just forward.

Come on 3DR. You haven't even delivered optical flow yet, and now everybody is releasing obstacle avoidance. Not to mention computer vision tracking - which may not work that well, but still. 3DR even took a step backwards with follow me. Before the Solo, we didn't have to lug the controller around with us during follow. A phone was enough.

Having said all that, I'll always buy 3DR drones, but this Phantom 4 is impressive, and you get more control of the camera.

Reactions: Stal
as i watch this P4 video the moderator said with new tech gps chip can lock up to 36 satellites if it's true this is very impressive stuff, now it's time call the attention of 3dr developer well see hows the competition i think dji is two step ahead agains 3dr 1. is the vps of p3 and 2. the obstacle of p4
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Personally I'm not really interested in the drone rat race. I'm happy with Solo as it is, really. Some of the newer tech (that Solo is actually capable of with use of the accessory bay - if they ever come out with it) is pretty cool, but I don't really "need" object avoidance, etc. Lidar to keep a constant fixed height above ground as the terrain changes would be about the only additional extra thing I might go for...or maybe a new gimbal/camera combo if something cool comes out.

I think we will be seeing a LOT of mishaps with this on the DJI drones (Yuneec too). People taking more risks, etc., and then blaming DJI for the consequences. This tech is still relatively new, and not that fine grained as far as the sensors resolution. I'm sure the detection is only within certain parameters. Will it stop for small tree limbs, or thin power lines? Rope? At what speed can it safely detect and avoid and what sized object?

Personally I'm not really interested in the drone rat race. I'm happy with Solo as it is, really. Some of the newer tech (that Solo is actually capable of with use of the accessory bay - if they ever come out with it) is pretty cool, but I don't really "need" object avoidance, etc. Lidar to keep a constant fixed height above ground as the terrain changes would be about the only additional extra thing I might go for...or maybe a new gimbal/camera combo if something cool comes out.

I think we will be seeing a LOT of mishaps with this on the DJI drones (Yuneec too). People taking more risks, etc., and then blaming DJI for the consequences. This tech is still relatively new, and not that fine grained as far as the sensors resolution. I'm sure the detection is only within certain parameters. Will it stop for small tree limbs, or thin power lines? Rope? At what speed can it safely detect and avoid and what sized object?
I agree- Solo does all I need it to. The End..

Once again, if you were all excited for the P3, now you have to decide if you are going to spring for the P4. I am with the 'Dog.....Solo meets my needs!

Sorry, but I'm buying it when it becomes available in Canada. March 15th I believe and will prepay this weekend. My solo has been nothing but problems and so has support. I can't see the Phantom 4 being any worse. I'll rebuild my solo and either sell or give it to my kid.

If your planning to sell, post it in the forum, wouldn't mind havin a second Solo.....except it wouldn't be flying solo anymore would it....hahaha

Reactions: Maddog and Lance

Lots of good points here. When it comes to cutting edge features, first out of the gate rarely turns out to be the most reliable/robust. At the same time, that we can (hopefully sometime in the future) add these capabilities to Solo overlooks something important - we lost around 5 minutes of flight time adding the camera and gimbal. The "add-on" approach will be self defeating if it ends up rendering the bird incapable of staying in the air for more than 6 or 8 minutes per charge.

I'm neither particularly critical of DJI or 3DR. The Phantoms, up to and including the 4, look like nice overall systems. At the same time, I have no regrets buying the Solo - it had the most advanced features available in it's price range AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. That new features have come out since is irrelevant. I don't think less of my 10 core processors just because two years later they're up to 14 core.

As for my next 'copter, it'll most likely be a home built, and almost certainly be Pixhawk based. I bought the Solo so I could get a camera in the air while I gain experience building, assembling and configuring components. It has, and will continue, to serve that purpose perfectly well.

I see no reason that being impressed with the Phantom 4 and being entirely satisfied with the Solo should be mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Chuck
I see no reason that being impressed with the Phantom 4 and being entirely satisfied with the Solo should be mutually exclusive.
Yup. That's me. Love the Solo. Will always have something 3DR, but impressed by the P4 and not going to get sucked into a false sense of loyalty to one company. Actually I'm even more impressed with the camera on the DJI X5R. Shoot Raw with a 4/3 sensor. Tons of camera control. very tempting.

User Name brings up a lot of valid points. We can only hope that 3DR comes up with a battery solution to help with flight time for the existing features we enjoy, as well as any new features in the future. My take on the comment he made about the new features that have come out being irrelevant, is that new features being added to Solo without upgrading our whole system, is why a lot of us bought Solo. For me, the fact that these new features have come to pass, is relevant. I look at where I would be if I had sold my P2 for the P3, and now the P4 is becoming available. I just couldn't justify the cash outlay like that, with me just being a hobbyist. I know that our existing Solo's may need to be replaced down the line sometime, but at least it isn't every 10 or 12 months. At least so far.

Regarding the comment on new features being irrelevant, my point was that you have to evaluate a product based on when it was released. Sure, the Solo potentially benefits from being able to add these things later (if that ever does come to pass and doesn't adversely effect performance too much).

But at the time of purchase, and really right on up to the release of the P4, Solo offered some of, if not the most high end features of any platform in it's price range. It just can't be criticized for not having features that are just now starting to come to market. So in that respect, these new features are irrelevant to the decision I made to purchase the Solo - at the time I made that decision. That's all I was saying.

Now on the actual features, honestly, collision avoidance and visioning is pretty low on my list. I could see it being valuable on smaller toy-class quads, but on a camera platform... the whole point is to be watching the video feed to make sure you're getting the shot you want. I've never once been close to running into anything... because I'm watching the video. And I'd always rather have fewer rock solid features than tons of finicky ones.

3dr freelook vs dji tracking i think slightly difrent in 3dr the craft follow the object and you can control the camera with a stick even in a full speed and in dji tap to the object then the craft it will follows wherever you go and the camera still focus to the obejct but the problem is it's limited speed only and if the object out of sight the process will stop. does my comments is correct?

3dr freelook vs dji tracking i think slightly difrent in 3dr the craft follow the object and you can control the camera with a stick even in a full speed and in dji tap to the object then the craft it will follows wherever you go and the camera still focus to the obejct but the problem is it's limited speed only and if the object out of sight the process will stop. does my comments is correct?
Sounds about right to me.

someone from 3DR just posted a poll on FB asking what camera would users most like to see on solo.
the M43 is running away with it.
Solo is far from dead. and I just got it dialed in. My warranty runs out in 4 months. So I am going to upgrade my motors after that. But honestly the video I am getting out of solo is better than expected. And it will keep me happy for a while
cool gadgets on the P4 no doubt. not enough to move me off point

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Yea I had a post written out last night saying about the same as everyone's mentioned above and decided not to post. Solo meets all my needs for now and at least the rest of this year if not longer. Obstacle avoidance is ok for new pilots, otherwise not much use to me, plus just that slight right then left movement while walking threw the detection sensors for a loop so they still need some work. Until that's updated and improved I'd rather use follow me, it's basically the same thing for my needs, especially if they can take the controller out of the equation eventually, like with a pebble. As long as 3dr comes through with optical flow for indoors or just cause solos gps is kinda weak for now I can't think of much else I need soon. Sure a better cam and gimbal down the line would be great and a better battery seems to be close from folks here on the forum or hopefully at nab, so we're still sitting pretty as far as I'm concerned.

Yea every time a new phantom comes it'll have a new bell or whistle, but I'm much happier with solo than if I'd of bought p3 last year and then seen p4 now. I'm sure eventually there will be some new tech from dji or yuneec or somebody that I decide I'll need if solo doesn't offer it too, but nothing in the works now near this price range has me questioning my purchase even if I'd have just bought solo now.

Im still as happy as I was on June 16th last year with my purchase for now and I don't see regretting it any time soon. I can't justify 10 or 15 grand and below that price I'm still convinced solos one of the best if not still the best option for me. In all honesty for my first bird my phantom was probably a better bet based on its simplicity , but after getting some hours in the air solos hard to beat.

someone from 3DR just posted a poll on FB asking what camera would users most like to see on solo.
the M43 is running away with it.
Solo is far from dead. and I just got it dialed in. My warranty runs out in 4 months. So I am going to upgrade my motors after that. But honestly the video I am getting out of solo is better than expected. And it will keep me happy for a while
cool gadgets on the P4 no doubt. not enough to move me off point

That's certainly some good news, can't wait to see how nab treats the solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela