PeauPro has a new lens... the 3.37 19mm f2.8

Reaction score
I think I like it!
New owner of the Solo... and do not own a Hero.
Am strongly considering the PeauPro87 with the 3.37.
$450 seems a good deal.
Am also considering the 1 year accident protection.

I see many use the 3.97.... and I have read many of the posts.

Thoughts on this new lens?

Reactions: cracovian
I found a very similar spec lens from China (Alibaba.com) for $50, very easy installation (GPH4B) and took less than 2 weeks to get here. Painful I paid $240 for the 3.97mm lens back when SOLO came out.

Simply replacing the lens on your own will result in the 4 corners having a pink tint to them. Peau makes a firmware change to the camera that removes that issue when you send your existing camera to them for professional installation.

Simply replacing the lens on your own will result in the 4 corners having a pink tint to them. Peau makes a firmware change to the camera that removes that issue when you send your existing camera to them for professional installation.
Peau has the download available again to do the corner correction at home.

I found a very similar spec lens from China (Alibaba.com) for $50, very easy installation (GPH4B) and took less than 2 weeks to get here. Painful I paid $240 for the 3.97mm lens back when SOLO came out.

3.37mm seems to be a new item from Peau; what item from Ailbaba was close?

Peau has the download available again to do the corner correction at home.
Yes, for $50. Plus the cost of the lens from China makes the total cost about $100. Then it's your time and effort to swap the lens out and refocus it. And hope you do it right. And frankly hope the lens you get is what you were expecting, and hope it arrives at all to begin with. There are risks associated with doing it the cheap way. Not saying you cannot or should not do it. Just understand the pros and cons to make an informed decision if paying Peau $240 for the lens + install is worthwhile or not.

Have you done this? I have and it's not noticeable under normal shooting unless shooting a pure white subject, like snow (which I have never done), I have never had problem with any of my camera's with the replacement lenses. Price included shipping

Here's the one I have now after losing one of my 3.97mm in the drink. Price has dropped a bit.

4K LENS 3.8MM Lens 1/2.3" Sensor 12MP S Mount Low Distortion 95D for DJI Phantom 3 Aerial Gopro 4 Camera Drones Newly Coming-in Camera/Video Bags from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited:
Have you done this? I have and it's not noticeable under normal shooting unless shooting a pure white subject, like snow (which I have never done), I have never had problem with any of my camera's with the replacement lenses. Price included shipping

Here's the one I have now after losing one of my 3.97mm in the drink. Price has dropped a bit.

4K LENS 3.8MM Lens 1/2.3" Sensor 12MP S Mount Low Distortion 95D for DJI Phantom 3 Aerial Gopro 4 Camera Drones Newly Coming-in Camera/Video Bags from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
I bought my lens from Peau. Installation was fairly easy. I strongly recommend any one doing it themselves to also buy the piece the lens screws into from Peau. Hardest part is getting the stock lens out without damaging it. Given the price Peau has now on Gopro H4B's already modified, It's the way to go in my opinion. My problem was I already had 5 Gopros.

so yes we know Peau lenses can be bought for cheap as knock offs
can we get past that and talk about what the difference and advantages it might have over the current 3.97?

Reactions: dml931
I found it, never mind
BTW for what it is worth, all of the Peau lenses are 16MP. the ones listed above are all 12MP
Think I am going to order one of the Peaus since I already have the 3.97 and profile removed

Guys I believe there is no need to spend the extra $ to PP (as I did for two 3.97mm) for the do it yourselfers when the lens is available direct, possibly PP's source and cut out the middleman. These are NOT cheap knockoffs, I believe to be just as good, I have both.

I recommend to youtube the lens removal, very easy and no damage to the original lens without disassembly. I too have done this five times, two with disassembly as in PP video showing disassembly and three without disassembly from a youtube video, way easier and less risk.

I guess my concern with the knockoff would be are the specs legit. It says 12MP. Is it really? Not saying it is or it isn't, and I don't own one. Lots of china knock off products use fake generic specs. Are these legit?

Reactions: David Boulanger
there is absolutely no proof that these cheap knock offs are the same quality
I bought one, and I have a Peau
build quality was very different
I agree that Peau is high, but they stand behind the product if there is an issue and the quality of their lens did seem better
it may be the same manufacturer but you can set acceptance standards

Reactions: David Boulanger
The 4K Lens I have is 16MP, they do sell it. With that said the gopro sensor is 12MP, replacing with a 16MP lens does not increase the resolution.

I was curious about this too. What benefit is a 16MP lens on a 12MP camera?

has nothing to do with resolution.
It has more to do with the lenses ability to produce a sharp image on the sensor
16MP is better than 12MP if the manufacturer is being honest about their specs
sharpness in IQ is what will be impacted

Well... The 3.37 has a wider FOV, better edge sharpness and suns stars according to Peau. As I DO NOT currently own a Hero 4 this appears to be the way to go. They also offer 1 year accident insurance. Seems a no brainer.

Think I will loose anything choosing the 3.37 over the 3.97?

It's only 5° wider than the 3.97. Hope that 5° doesn't reintroduce the legs in shots. But for 5° more, doesn't seem worth it if you already have the 3.97. You probably won't really notice it.

Reactions: cracovian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986