Peau Productions new remote gopro stock profile remover now out

Reaction score
For people not wanting to send their gopro in to have the stock lens profile removed after swapping to a different lens, Peau Productions just came out with their remote unlock tool so you can do it from home.

Download: Remove GoPro Lens Profile(No Pink Corners) – Peau Productions

Program Requirements:
  • Windows OS computer (we will be adding support for Mac OSX and Linux soon)

• A WIRELESS internet connection on your computer

• A USB port on your computer

• A USB cable to connect the GoPro camera to your computer

• A micro-SD Memory Card Reader on your computer (either built-in or USB)

I can't believe someone else hasn't figured this out and released a free / open source way to remove the lens profile. Why is this such a top secret special thing?

It's really a very small market. The other is because the known gopro hackers were hired by Peau to create this, under a NDA of course. There just isn't enough interest among people who know how to hack the gopro. Gopro 4 did some drastically different things than previous versions and the OS is locked down a lot more tightly. It used to be (GP3 and previous) you could just create an autoexec file with a text editor issuing some commands and place it on the SD card on the gopro and viola, it was hacked and opened up features that gopro never incorporated or allowed you to change settings gopro didn't let you access. Now the whole system is encrypted and doesn't read anything from the SD card. You have to flash a hacked firmware to get access to the guts.

I believe it also stores your original profile on their server as a backup and also so it can be reverted. At least they do that when you send it in. You might ask about that, and also if this software will revert it if you ever wanted to.

I see. Well kudos to Peau for making wise business decisions I guess. The found the best lens and made an agreement to be the only retailer. And the found the best programmers and made an agreement with them to be their only client. Sucks for cheap hobbyists. But if I were them, I'd damn sure do the same thing.

Reactions: Jubalr
Yep. But who knows...now that the software is available, it would be a lot easier to create a hack since the solution is no longer only contained in a physical building. I mean, software that costs tens of thousands of dollars and use chipped hardware dongles get hacked all the time... it just depends on if the demand is there and someone with the skills is interested.

I believe it also stores your original profile on their server as a backup and also so it can be reverted. At least they do that when you send it in. You might ask about that, and also if this software will revert it if you ever wanted to.

With this remote option the profile is not backed up, that option is only available if the camera is sent to us.

If adding security to prevent the software from being "hacked" was not a concern we would have released it a lot sooner. We're not saying it's impossible (it's software after all) but there are many checks involved to make sure it's very unlikely to happen. If you wish to support us then do so. The money we make goes back into R&D for new products that the "cheap hobbyists" then benefit from.

Oh, I totally do support you. I thoroughly enjoy the 3.97 you installed and the removed profile. Even if this software option were available when I purchased I still would have you guys do it as I wanted the lens installed and focused by your team. Couldn't be happier. I'm not wishing for your software to be hacked. I just know it's possible considering software that has a lot more IP in it and sells for oodles more than $50 is hacked all of the time and was explaining it.

Yeah I know, but we've been getting a few posts about how everything should be free or included, so you can understand our response. People like to blame us for charging so much but it's really GoPro who is forcing companies like ours to come up with a "solution". We could charge a lot more than $50 if we wanted, but we're not.

We're a hardware company and only just starting to get into software so it's difficult to know where to put our current limited software efforts. If enough of the community voices a need then someone will throw money at making it happen and they aren't likely to just give it away. We appreciate the feedback from our customers so we can better improve our products.

just received my download. installed my custom firmware. no problem. i just need to verify if still have pink eye.
Ordered mine last night, but I did not have the complete serial due to the battery rubbing on the sticker. I was able to take a pic of the QR code and use a reader to get the full #. FYI; should be 14 digits and they cannot fulfill the order without it.

Ordered mine last night, but I did not have the complete serial due to the battery rubbing on the sticker. I was able to take a pic of the QR code and use a reader to get the full #. FYI; should be 14 digits and they cannot fulfill the order without it.

for future reference, version.txt, in misc folder, has the serial #.

Reactions: Mike Davis
for future reference, version.txt, in misc folder, has the serial #.
Thanks Frank. That's good to know. I am very surprised that Peau did not offer that, or the reading of the QR code. I sent them a picture of the label that had a couple of digits wore off, and they told me that if I could not determine the missing digits, they would cancel the order and refund the money. @Peau Productions ?

Thanks Frank. That's good to know. I am very surprised that Peau did not offer that, or the reading of the QR code. I sent them a picture of the label that had a couple of digits wore off, and they told me that if I could not determine the missing digits, they would cancel the order and refund the money. @Peau Productions ?

Thanks for the info on the QR code and txt file, we'll let other customers know. We only deal with new cameras typically and have never come across a serial number that was unreadable so we never had to look for it elsewhere.

With this remote option the profile is not backed up, that option is only available if the camera is sent to us.

If adding security to prevent the software from being "hacked" was not a concern we would have released it a lot sooner. We're not saying it's impossible (it's software after all) but there are many checks involved to make sure it's very unlikely to happen. If you wish to support us then do so. The money we make goes back into R&D for new products that the "cheap hobbyists" then benefit from.

Nolan, you and your company and products are the best. You offer some of the best tech support of any company I have had the pleasure to work with and I love your cameras and gimbals. Work as described and perform the job at hand with excellence.

Nolan, the reason people think it should be open source is because by your own statements the software can brick cameras, and yet you take no liability for damages. This would be fine if the software was open source but as soon as you charge for it you should be responsible. A similar liability statement from Microsoft would go over about the same way.

I have no problem with you charging to do it yourselves (and thus taking liability), however charging for a hack that can destroy hardware to me is unacceptable. For now I'm using an overlay to counter the pink corners but hope that konrad figures out what ya'll did soon.

Last edited:
I guess the guys at Peau, released the remote option just because Gopro 5 and Karma are coming out and they want to catch as much customers as they can before d day. I order now the pink corners removal...... before was to expensive to send the camera and get it back. I order a rectilinear 2.97or 3.2 can't remember I think from them. Not happy at all, is true they sent me another one after I sent samples and a video ..... the right side was so blurry so lens defective.The replacement works a bit better but still not happy at all, now it blurs all corners left/right, bottom more then up. Middle is tack sharp.Most of the clients think that I put a boken, but all the pro what I work with noticed that is from the lens.Well .....works like 75% ....rest of the people will notice and they are not happy about. I guess was a waste of time to ask again for other lens, maybe send this one back...argg. Let's see I hope that this 50 bucks wont go to waste as the money for the lens. I saw on YouTube some Russian guy tested the 3.9 from alliexpres the 4K version, the footage was looking good, no blur on the corners,,,maybe I will give it a try since the lens were 45 usd. I am really tired of gopro, except the small size I see no value in it 400 gopro+150 new lens+ 50 remove the pink clitoris is min 600USD+ transport customs etc. Maybe this is why I build a bigger drone with a A6300 on it...better footage no so much literally shit with gopro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo