Parts for Solo

I am still using the stock gps that came with my Solo. After installing the new 3DR shield, my satellite acquisition time was cut by about 60-70%. I am real happy about that. I have been wanting to look into other gps mods for Solo mainly to help maintain acquisition when around buildings and trees. So far, all the info I have seen on the mRo u-Blox Neo-M8N, it may what I am looking for. Has anyone on the forum tried it enough to give an actual use report from their experience?

Is this board the same size as the one that comes in the solo? Just remove the old one and put in this one. It says they expect you to use the existing cable for the gps unit. Just want sure on actual fit.
Snug as a bug in a rug. Very well built.
I'll update w/the results

Attachments

• IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 22
Just got it in the mail this morning. It is slightly smaller, but plug and play - the holes line up for mounting and for the shield - though I snipped the connector hole in the shield about 1/32" on each side to fit perfectly.

I only got 8 sats inside/1.0 HDOP, which in itself was a little disappointing - but I got those immediately instead of waiting a couple of minutes for the same Rev A results. In about 5 minutes I got 13 sats/.8 HDOP inside - a new inside record.

Haven't flown it or even taken the bird outside to count sats.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Please let us know anything good about the upgrade. Less drifting?
TIA

Please let us know anything good about the upgrade. Less drifting?
TIA
I just got done with 1st test flight after replacing stock GPS board with the mRo u-Blox Neo-M8N. I am a little disappointed. I understand it had to download data first time, but after that it didn't get any more satellites than I got with the stock GPS in the same location. Blue sky spotty clouds, 8 sats / 1.5 HDOP at 3.5 minute mark. I was using a stopwatch to see how long it took for cold start. I finally took off at 8 minute mark with 10 @ 1.3. While flying at 250 feet altitude, max sat count was 14 @ 0.7 HDOP. I've seen that with my stock GPS while flying. There was a good breeze probably 12-15 and it was very steady with regards to holding position. I suspect the software isn't showing or taking advantage of GLONASS maybe that is the difference. Solo had latest software, I just updated a few days ago. It also has the new GPS shield installed. I will put a fresh battery in and try a second flight.

Reactions: SARDG and SteveReno
I just got done with 1st test flight after replacing stock GPS board with the mRo u-Blox Neo-M8N. I am a little disappointed. I understand it had to download data first time, but after that it didn't get any more satellites than I got with the stock GPS in the same location. Blue sky spotty clouds, 8 sats / 1.5 HDOP at 3.5 minute mark. I was using a stopwatch to see how long it took for cold start. I finally took off at 8 minute mark with 10 @ 1.3. While flying at 250 feet altitude, max sat count was 14 @ 0.7 HDOP. I've seen that with my stock GPS while flying. There was a good breeze probably 12-15 and it was very steady with regards to holding position. I suspect the software isn't showing or taking advantage of GLONASS maybe that is the difference. Solo had latest software, I just updated a few days ago. It also has the new GPS shield installed. I will put a fresh battery in and try a second flight.
Thank you for your experience with this new GPS system.
I'm sure that that many other reader are also interested in your findings.
Personally, never had to wait very long for GPS lock "Under 2 min." most of the time under1 min. 8to10 satellites @ takeoff HDOP about .9-1.2.
I'm thinking, some locations on earth are not on a directpath or lanes of GPS satellites.
Some locations will get less GPS signal than other's?
No expert here, but this serves as a answer to those who get great, good & low GPS readings all on same equipment. ?
Anyone know GPS? Chime in please...

The few decent days we have had for flying since I installed mine, I have been stuck at work. I will attempt to get mine in the air for a few batteries this weekend. I will also test one of the other solos with a stock GPS in the same spot and see which does better assuming the winds cooperate. Even if too windy to fly I can post differences in satellite numbers etc at startup.

I just got done with 1st test flight after replacing stock GPS board with the mRo u-Blox Neo-M8N. I am a little disappointed. I understand it had to download data first time, but...
Although I had somewhat better results than you, I was initially underwhelmed as well, especially after hearing reports of 23 sats in < 1 min, etc. I too, was wondering if GLONASS is turned on. I suppose this requires a look-see in u-center, which I've never used, but...

Although I had somewhat better results than you, I was initially underwhelmed as well, especially after hearing reports of 23 sats in < 1 min, etc. I too, was wondering if GLONASS is turned on. I suppose this requires a look-see in u-center, which I've never used, but...
u‑center GNSS evaluation software​
Latest Ver. https://www.u-blox.com/en/files/u-center-windows-v821
User Guide: https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/u-center_UserGuide_(UBX-13005250).pdf

Reactions: RedLance and SARDG
Ok, better news. 2nd short test flight. Now more impressed but confused about inner workings of GPS. I powered up in same location and before I could get my tablet app open there were 7 sats in the controller window. I had 13 sats @ 0.7 within 35 seconds of power on. NEVER did that before. I took off (windspeed was higher/gusting a bit more) and as I got to about 60 feet I was showing 16 sats @ 0.7. So a new record for me at that location. It was under a minute. I doubt if I get a 3rd flight until wind dies a bit, a bit above my comfort level. It held location pretty well no discernible drifting and you could tell it was fighting the wind by the way the motors sounded. So I stand at 2 flights and I am impressed. If it gets more sats on 3rd flight I will post. This is my oldest of several Solos. I got it July of last year and had to wait for the gimbal delay until around October.
Confusion on GPS ops because I was powered up for 15 minutes or so on first flight and only got 14 sats.

Reactions: SARDG
Some locations will get less GPS signal than other's?
No expert here, but this serves as a answer to those who get great, good & low GPS readings all on same equipment. ?
Anyone know GPS? Chime in please...
@SteveReno - there was a tool that showed GPS available at specific location that I looked at a while ago. Couldn't find it, but I did find this tool. It predicts what is visible at your location and you can filter for Glonass/ US / viewing angle etc. http://www.calsky.com/cs.cgi
It shows 15 including Glonass for me, depending on viewing angle. So it agrees approximately with my last flight.

Wind died a bit, 3rd flight with new GPS on old Solo. Happy to report a max of 17 sats @ 0.7 HDOP. It was ready to fly before I was. I've never had that experience on the old No. 1 Solo. By the time I got app connected and checked the parameters, it was ready to go with 13 @ 0.8 on the ground. I would say based on what sat predictions are (from the calsky tool), it agrees with the max I can get here at a 7.5 degree viewing angle (not sure how realistic that is for this equipment).

Bottom line, based on my experience with this particular Solo prior to the upgrade, it was worthwhile. I will have to take it to a different location and see how quickly it updates.

I'm interested in if, the Solo can hold lock in places' it couldn't before.
Under tree limbs, under a bridge, place's like that.
I get 9 Sats in under a min. 80% of the time.
I would buy X2 Neo-M8N if the Lock would stay locked while under tree's ?
Mountain Flyer, If you can, see if you get lock under tree's.
Let you know.
Victor replied back to me: Looks like i'm joining the club!
In Mammoth, casual flying and M8N testing as well. A family trip with high winds and clouds but the solo performed well in high winds and the M8N satellites remained at 13-16 GPS under the forest and 22 at 400 ft (The video was sped up)

I just flew my newest Best Buy solo (stock GPS) in same location as I flew old Solo with the new GPS board. New stock Solo got me 12 Sats @ 0.8 HDOP. As stated in my post 32 above, old Solo with new GPS got me 17 Sats / 0.7 HDOP, so it did provide better GPS connection for me.

Reactions: SARDG
Does this install invalidate the warranty?
I'm sure that it would. Cannot imagine any manufacturer allowing circuit board trade-outs like these. It's a better board than stock, but it gives them an 'out'. They'd know right away it wasn't their fine board when they looked at the logs and saw all the satellites. :eek:

I would have thought using 3rd party software would invalidate the warranty too but it doesn't unless you change stock parameters of the solo.

I would have thought using 3rd party software would invalidate the warranty too but it doesn't unless you change stock parameters of the solo.
3DR told me that using Solex would indeed void the warranty. That's one of the reasons I haven't purchased it yet.

Not sure if everyone knows or cares
mrobotics is ran by Jordi a cofounder of 3DR no longer there
Mine arrives Tuesday ordered Friday
3.98 chipping USPS to Dallas Area

I held off until the rev 2 and testing was done

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela