Parts for Solo

Reaction score
I was making the mod to the Solo for the GPS and the battery snagged and was ripped off of the circuit board along with the trace. I have a rev. A GPS module Where can I buy a new GPS module? Preferably a rev. B.

and was ripped off of the circuit board along with the trace.
When I de-soldered my battery off the gps I thought I ripped the trace. Underlying trace appeared dark gray, hit it with a soldering iron and some leaded solder and it tinned fine. The lead-free solder being used around Solo seems to have some thin spots....

Mine was. I just installed it in the stock location and plugged it in. The plug is in the same location and I was able to reinstall the copper shield as well. I left my cardboard mod in place and did not need to re cut or mod anything for the new chip. I have not had a chance to fly it yet but it got 13 sats in 20 seconds or so in the backyard and ten feet from the house. Powered off and on recycle it found them in less than 5 seconds. I am impressed with it and am looking forward to the wind dying down so I can fly it. The Rev A took nearly a minute to find 9 in the same spot and didn't seem to retain the information as well between power cycles.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I'm interested in if, the Solo can hold lock in places' it couldn't before.
Under tree limbs, under a bridge, place's like that.
I get 9 Sats in under a min. 80% of the time.
I would buy X2 Neo-M8N if the Lock would stay locked while under tree's ?
Mountain Flyer, If you can, see if you get lock under tree's.
Let of know.

Mine was. I just installed it in the stock location and plugged it in. The plug is in the same location and I was able to reinstall the copper shield as well. I left my cardboard mod in place and did not need to re cut or mod anything for the new chip. I have not had a chance to fly it yet but it got 13 sats in 20 seconds or so in the backyard and ten feet from the house. Powered off and on recycle it found them in less than 5 seconds. I am impressed with it and am looking forward to the wind dying down so I can fly it. The Rev A took nearly a minute to find 9 in the same spot and didn't seem to retain the information as well between power cycles.
Whet was your wait time for delivery?

I do a lot of flying in the National Forrest here and wanted this for that very reason. I have found a number of nice steams that I want to fly solo over but they all have two things in common. They are surrounded by various mountain peaks and in the woods. I never felt confident enough before as I often had the bare minimum to keep GPS and with very random breezes it is hard to do in manual without crashing. Weather isn't cooperating atm and it's windy again today.

When I ordered mine they had them in stock and I believe I received it within two days of ordering. I don't remember exactly but my thought at the time was that it was faster than expected.

Whet was your wait time for delivery?
I do a lot of flying in the National Forrest here and wanted this for that very reason. I have found a number of nice steams that I want to fly solo over but they all have two things in common. They are surrounded by various mountain peaks and in the woods. I never felt confident enough before as I often had the bare minimum to keep GPS and with very random breezes it is hard to do in manual without crashing. Weather isn't cooperating atm and it's windy again today.

When I ordered mine they had them in stock and I believe I received it within two days of ordering. I don't remember exactly but my thought at the time was that it was faster than expected.
I tried to order one last week but they didn't have any in stock. They got a new batch in stock now. Says they have 150 left in this batch

It comes from somewhere in the states, I think it was Arizona, and once you place your order they ship fast. I suspect they have them made in small batches and you just caught them in between. I really want to test the performance of it but the areas I mostly fly are getting some crappy weather. I could probably find someplace else but then it isn't an accurate comparison as far as before and after. They were talking about snow at elevation and I want new tires before I mess around with that again.

Mines on its way. I've tested many ground based USA GPS units vs many GLONAS AND USA GPS units as a recreation trail planner in the woods, and every GLONAS USA GPS receiver has out performed all just USA GPS units. Why? Glonas signal is twice as fast as the USA signal and being able to pick up more sats both Russian and USA! That's a no brainer. Flying in valleys and under tree cover will improve, but common sense prevails it won't guarantee loss of lock. More sats triangulating and faster signal strength the reason I'm purchasing. JAPAN is launching cm accuracy sats!! The future in GPS is bright.

I just ordered one from the link SteveReno provided above. Anyone have any issues with this company? The internet country code (.io) is Indian Ocean territory and the only thing they had in their store was the mRo u-Blox Neo-M8N, other areas had no product listings. Kind of curious. It was USPS first class shipping which implies that it is shipped in the states.

lots of tech companies use the .io TLD because it's techy. Probably only 1/50th of the .io address space is made up of actual Indian Ocean inhabitants. I have one ;) So it doesn't necessarily mean they are located there.

Last edited:
I just ordered one from the link SteveReno provided above. Anyone have any issues with this company? The internet country code (.io) is Indian Ocean territory and the only thing they had in their store was the mRo u-Blox Neo-M8N, other areas had no product listings. Kind of curious. It was USPS first class shipping which implies that it is shipped in the states.
I forget, New Mexico or Arizona? there are several videos of this particular chip being tested. I will locate video's & forward their URL's here.
Update:
Didn't ask if you have a FB acct. If not, let me know
Facebook

Last edited:
Probably this video shows GPS from mrobotics.io

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If I'm correct and understand what is he saying... At one time gps board can use GPS or GLONASS or GALILEO not couple of satelites at the same time.
Can any of you verify that? I tried to contact with Jordi via Facebook, but since we are not "connected" as FB says I think my messages went to others folder..

Reactions: Solo Keith
The mRo GPS NEO-M8N is a 'professional grade', extremely powerful GPS for Solo.
mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N
Great reviews.
please find out all info. before buying.
Hope this helps
Is this board the same size as the one that comes in the solo? Just remove the old one and put in this one. It says they expect you to use the existing cable for the gps unit. Just want sure on actual fit.

Is this board the same size as the one that comes in the solo? Just remove the old one and put in this one. It says they expect you to use the existing cable for the gps unit. Just want sure on actual fit.
It's close to the same size "smaller"
I also read that the plugs match.
Just got it in the mail this morning. It is slightly smaller, but plug and play - the holes line up for mounting and for the shield - though I snipped the connector hole in the shield about 1/32" on each side to fit perfectly.

I only got 8 sats inside/1.0 HDOP, which in itself was a little disappointing - but I got those immediately instead of waiting a couple of minutes for the same Rev A results. In about 5 minutes I got 13 sats/.8 HDOP inside - a new inside record.

Haven't flown it or even taken the bird outside to count sats.

Reactions: SteveReno
Just got it in the mail this morning. It is slightly smaller, but plug and play - the holes line up for mounting and for the shield - though I snipped the connector hole in the shield about 1/32" on each side to fit perfectly.

I only got 8 sats inside/1.0 HDOP, which in itself was a little disappointing - but I got those immediately instead of waiting a couple of minutes for the same Rev A results. In about 5 minutes I got 13 sats/.8 HDOP inside - a new inside record.

Awesome! That's great to see that it fits perfect and is plug and play. I just got my solo a couple days ago and haven't had any problems yet. I did put some cardboard between the shelf and gps already so we'll see how that does fit a while. I'm super happy with it so far.

Video of my first flight with gimbal. No editing of video or audio. Using hero 4 silver.

Reactions: SimoB
[/QUOTE]

I Asked Victor a question on FB last night:
Victor.JPG
I will update with answer.​

Last edited:
Reactions: SARDG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member