old school pilot mode

Reaction score
I am putting together my 3dr and I when I look at the way the controller works it is totally the opposite of how any stick works in aviation but I guess is correct for people who are brought up with game controllers. Forward on a stick is not up in my brain. So my question is if I change the mode of the controller how does that work. Is the left stick throttle and yaw full down motors off full up max throttle and the right stick bank and pitch (fwd pitch down) . Does that mean I have to keep the left stick full down to keep the motors off. Should I fly it in this mode for my first flight since that is what I am use to .

Learn to fly with a smaller copter first.
I guess I wasn't clear I started flying quad copters before they were called drones or UAV's and we had no gps and very poor stabilizers . The left stick was throttle and yaw. I have been out of the hobby for years and now they are changing the function off the sticks from what I am use to .

it has been a while since I looked at it, but I think you can configure controller mode in the setup
it comes stock mode 2 which is left stick is throttle and yaw, right stick is pitch and roll
changing it to mode 1 I thing reverses that, someone check me on that

What confuses me then is that the left stick is centered by a spring . I guess I could open it up and remove the spring . I guess I will just have to experiment with it. Hopefully someone who has switched the mode will comment .

pretty sure changing the mode will only reverse the sticks.
Yes the solo controller centers the throttle which is a bit odd, but they set it up for loiter flyers.
I think you can mod it.
I fly a taranis on my DIY and its definitely different in feel without the centering throttle

What confuses me then is that the left stick is centered by a spring . I guess I could open it up and remove the spring . I guess I will just have to experiment with it. Hopefully someone who has switched the mode will comment .
It has a sprung throttle because the vast majority of the consumer market buying this product flies the vast majority of time in altitude controlled modes such as Fly (Loiter) and Manual (Alt Hold). A sprung throttle is not ideal for stabilize and acro modes for obvious reasons. You just need to be more attentive with your thumb in those modes.

I don't think you'll have much luck removing the spring. It doesn't have detentes or tension that a normal RC controller stick has.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea