Odd behavior when in full throttle

Reaction score
The copter seems to "porpoise" when flying full throttle. If I let up a bit, it smooths out.

Yes I searched the forum.

Are you running at Rabbit for your speed settings? What mode are you flying with; Acro, Fly or manual?

Is the bird rising, falling or both; trying to understand your term "porpoise" clearly.

With the glider name, you obviously understand up drafts, thermals and wind shears.... I just learned about the effects of tree lines within the last year.

video? I would like to see that flipper solo
and yes I am being serious, it might be easier to have a visual
I think I kow what you mean but I could be completely wrong

What does your GPS count say? Just thinking it could be hunting it's location, how much is it moving?

...a repeated pitching oscillation of the bow of a boat, usually caused by improper weight distribution or engine trim.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry... I'm a boater, not a pilot. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Chuck and Maddog
You might be experiencing a situation where at high speed, Solo pitches forward too far to maintain level flight and begins to descend. Slowing up reduces the pitch angle and allows Solo to climb.

There is a thread here somewhere about it. Lengthy discussions about it, particularly after some guy descended into a tree at high speed.

One squirrel was slightly injured and 2 others were left homeless after the tragedy.

Reactions: SARDG
Are you running at Rabbit for your speed settings? What mode are you flying with; Acro, Fly or manual?

Is the bird rising, falling or both; trying to understand your term "porpoise" clearly.

With the glider name, you obviously understand up drafts, thermals and wind shears.... I just learned about the effects of tree lines within the last year.

Does the same thing in Fly or Fly Manual.

Porpoising is generally pilot induced in a plane, but is a fairly commonly used term.

In this case of the Solo it is up/down oscillations (somewhat sinusoidal) while moving forward at full throttle not caused by pilot stick movements, particularly into the wind. Now that I think about it, it may be caused by not having a camera attached and the factory camera mount is still attached.

I'm not really concerned about it at this point. This is not my first Solo; just don't recall it doing that on the last one I had and doesn't happen on my other AC powered copters.

Nothing to do with the GPS, so we can get that out of the way.

Most likely it is air pressure changing within the body of the solo from the high speed flight into the wind. Fools barometer into thinking it is climbing or descending.

Now that I think about it, it may be caused by not having a camera attached and the factory camera mount is still attached.
You're speaking about "the frame", which if empty and angled properly could be an air foil of sorts at high speeds. Interesting to consider that is what caused the porpoising... Was the frame down during your flight? I'm thinking pitched by 45 degrees...either to the back or front.

Mine does it too. Some days worse than others. Makes me think it's due to headwinds. Doesn't show up in video. Mine is not set to rabbit mode on the speed settings. They are abt mid range. It does it while flying in stabilize mode at higher constant cruise speeds. Never does it in GPS modes. That being said, when flying in GPS modes, the speeds are slower than manual modes.

Yes, the frame was left is out of the box, 90 deg to the body. Tomorrow I'll either remove or flip the camera frame so that it is possibly not acting as an airfoil. Makes sense. Also though, if the Solo PID's are tuned for use with a camera, the balance may be thrown off.

P2P, I don't have this type of behavior on my other copters. At most they descend somewhat, but remain at a constant speed and recover after stopping (typical). However recent fixes in AC have improved that.

Regardless, I had almost forgotten how much I like flying this machine.

Mine does it too. Some days worse than others. Makes me think it's due to headwinds. Doesn't show up in video. Mine is not set to rabbit mode on the speed settings. They are abt mid range. It does it while flying in stabilize mode at higher constant cruise speeds. Never does it in GPS modes. That being said, when flying in GPS modes, the speeds are slower than manual modes.

Set it to rabbit mode and it should do it in GPS mode.
Do you have the camera attached or is the frame just hanging down empty?

Regardless, I had almost forgotten how much I like flying this machine.
It is an amazing flyer and very responsive to control input. Full stick is way more fun than being a tripod.

There was a conversation about ESC desync. And then one about the motors loosing thrust at top end, saturation...? Both are more of a quick pulsing action and not typical in sync with the other motors. So the tendency would be a roll rather than pitch as the indicator.

It is an amazing flyer and very responsive to control input. Full stick is way more fun than being a tripod.

There was a conversation about ESC desync. And then one about the motors loosing thrust at top end, saturation...? Both are more of a quick pulsing action and not typical in sync with the other motors. So the tendency would be a roll rather than pitch as the indicator.

That very well could be it as well; I'm observing from afar only a few times and may have incorrectly described it as being a pitch issue. I did some short rapid rolls/pitches at full throttle both manual and GPS mode and it seemed fine.

Tonight I wondered if it could be desyncing but brushed it off being a new machine. I know three others that bought the BB deal, will ask them, but doubt they fly above turtle mode yet :)

Do you now if this was a mfg defect in the ESC or motor?

I think the frame is the issue. The sync issue is a quick jerky movement rather than slower ups and downs of porpoising. I believe you could tell the difference at any distance.

I flew it again today and was experimenting a bit with the speed wobble. If I keep it below 33 mph the speed wobbles are very minor. Once I hit 35 mph it really starts pitching. It keeps altitude and no threat of loss of control. It does this both upwind and downwind.
It doesn't matter if I'm flying in GPS mode or not. It does it in any mode. If I keep it in the 20 mph range it is hardly noticeable.
I don't see any evidence of it in the recorded video. So that tells me the gimbal is doing its job.
I'm thinking that it is due to the higher speed combined with prop wash and the gimbal hanging down in the airstream creating drag forcing it to pitch down.

Anybody else test this?

Don.

Not me- I'm afraid to go that fast.:eek:

Actually, I've never gotten it to go that fast. What flight modes are needed to reach that speed? I've never made it that fast in FLY: MANUAL.

Reactions: SARDG
Do you now if this was a mfg defect in the ESC or motor?
Defects, no. Surpassing design limits, sure. If it were a defect, then we wouldn't be having this conversation, you would already know by similar cases. With the exception of people burning up bearings, the motor pods have performed quite well and as expected.

Regarding the reference to desyncing or saturation, that was in the motor swap thread and actually with the T-Motors IIRC. From what I've read on the subject elsewhere, could be caused be several reasons, many point to the power or motor wire length as the cause. And typically it is one motor that falls out of sync, rather than the set. If you have a failing bearing, it could appear as the same....just saying.

Not me- I'm afraid to go that fast.:eek:

Actually, I've never gotten it to go that fast. What flight modes are needed to reach that speed? I've never made it that fast in FLY: MANUAL.
I was flying in Stabilize and Manual. I have the speed bars at about half way. It will go faster than that. I think the fastest I've seen it is 47 mph. That's with the gimbal and camera attached. Should get a little more without the camera and gimbal but can't think of a reason why I need to.
I might get curious enough to remove the gimbal to test the high speed pitching.

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela