Not sure what happened.. Slight crash

This is totally preventable - and I have been suggesting it from day one. People need to be in fly: manual mode when flying in any situation where gps degrade is a possibility. I am not surprised that solo would make a correction as hdop decreased under the tree. Either put it into manual mode before going under the tree or switch it the second you see an uncommanded correction. Just my 2 cents

All I know is there was zero reason for or warning that mine was going to tweak out. It just did feet from its home point with a good hdop and clear view of the sky. If we learned anything in this release its that these seem to each have their own issues and mines been great with most but my only error was not pushing manual after it started since it was already in manual after gps drop, it was in the same spot as 90 percent of my flights having 13 sats and everything perfect until boom suddenly it wasn't. Even the gps drop warning was well after issues started. I'll be off work soon and will look into my logs but I have no doubt this should not have happened. I'm just happy it seems I dodged the waiting game I'd have if the initial crash Hadn't been avoided.

I don't think any manufacturer supplies a flight sim but would have been great if Solo's would have been ready. But they are available from 3rd parties. This is something the R/C industry has been encouraging and dealing with for 60 or more years. Whether it is a car, boat or airplane/MR a few hours on a sim would and has saved customers a great deal of money and frustration.
In this video he demonstrated the Simulator at NAB 2015
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then, before Solo was released he said:

"As for the conference itself, all week, whenever I was in the booth, I felt like I was caught in an updraft, lifted by the people I spoke to and by all the excited conversation, movement and ideas crackling around me.
I didn’t know where all the energy was coming from, but it was everywhere: Our crack flight ops team was on overdrive, zipping in and out of a back room cluttered with boxes, backpacks, cables, laptops and coffee, keeping our brand new Solo fleet tuned pitch-perfect and humming; Solo itself whipped and danced around the flight cage for the crowds and cameras;and the sticks at our Solo kiosks—complete with an interactive version of the app-based flight simulator that will come with Solo—were never empty, unless our CRO Colin Guinn was around, commanding the attention of anyone within line of sight—and when he hit the podium for demos, beyond."

Also, from the 3DR Solo Website:

"We’ve made sure that even new users will be able to fly Solo with confidence.
An app-based flight simulator will allow you to fly Solo virtually, before you get off the ground.
And when Solo is in the air, the “pause” button acts as an emergency airbrake, stopping the copter in its tracks until you’re ready to take control again.
Additionally, you can create a virtual “safety net” within the app that limits how high Solo is allowed to fly."

RyanG I'm not sure which protocol the 3dr controller uses, so I would suggest the version that comes with its own controller.

In this video he demonstrated the Simulator at NAB 2015
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then, before Solo was released he said:

"As for the conference itself, all week, whenever I was in the booth, I felt like I was caught in an updraft, lifted by the people I spoke to and by all the excited conversation, movement and ideas crackling around me.
I didn’t know where all the energy was coming from, but it was everywhere: Our crack flight ops team was on overdrive, zipping in and out of a back room cluttered with boxes, backpacks, cables, laptops and coffee, keeping our brand new Solo fleet tuned pitch-perfect and humming; Solo itself whipped and danced around the flight cage for the crowds and cameras;and the sticks at our Solo kiosks—complete with an interactive version of the app-based flight simulator that will come with Solo—were never empty, unless our CRO Colin Guinn was around, commanding the attention of anyone within line of sight—and when he hit the podium for demos, beyond."

Also, from the 3DR Solo Website:

"We’ve made sure that even new users will be able to fly Solo with confidence.
An app-based flight simulator will allow you to fly Solo virtually, before you get off the ground.
And when Solo is in the air, the “pause” button acts as an emergency airbrake, stopping the copter in its tracks until you’re ready to take control again.
Additionally, you can create a virtual “safety net” within the app that limits how high Solo is allowed to fly."

Yep, that's what I said.."I don't think any manufacturer supplies a flight sim but would have been great if Solo's would have been ready. But they are available from 3rd parties."

The exact same thing happened to me, pre-update. The solo jerked left, jerked right, then shot off like a bottle rocket into a bunch of flowers. Rich had the NERVE to suggest it was all attributable to operator error.

Maybe, just maybe, he's wrong sometimes, like the rest of us.

Reactions: Raybro
Huh, I don't think I told you that you made a mistake did I? If I did I had to be pulling your tail... You scare me a little too much to lay blame :cool:

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Ok I'm finally installing mp on my pos laptop now so hopefully I can check and maybe post my logs in a bit. I've had a great day on both batteries today just came in but did some experimenting with motors off at my crash site.

Seems that there may be something underground maybe causing the issue in my yard. I've got no idea what it could be but I'm pretty sure I've never seen what happened when I placed solo where it all started only on the ground. Have any of you ever even seen hdop at or around 100, not 1 but 100.5 or so. It had satellites but wouldn't arm and was bouncing from 2.2 ish to over a hundred hdop over and over again. I flew staying away from there and tried again afterwards and can't seem to get the same result. Seems strange that the only time that's ever happened was at this spot.

Also could have been whatever a neighbor nearby runs or whatever causes every car door remote that's been in my driveway or wireless products like switches, doorbells, pretty much any cheap wireless devices to not work or malfunction when near my home. Seems strange that this would be in just that area but only difference at that spot in my yard is a low spot but only maybe a few inches so I'm still unsure. Trust me I know this sounds kinda crazy and paranoid but I've tried twenty or so car remotes and a bunch of techie gadgets over the last year and nearly all have weird issues or light up but do nothing, best case work occasionally. Leave my property and all are fine including both my own cars, my parents new vehicles, my sisters and a few friends, also there's a wifi point called virus.exe and my neighbor built most of his home undeground, so I'm convinced something odd is happening or he uses something with enough rf power to confuse or drown out some devices.

All this is just to say that my solo may not have just tweaked out for no reason, but may have had interference from an outside source either buried there which I'm clueless what that could be or nearby issues that are unseen. I've been in this home 2 years and drove or flown at least fifteen Rcs that I own and beside some issues with phantom never had any unexplained issues arise.

So flying well again after another more perfect level calibration, I'm happy again at this point, with any luck I'll stay that way a while.

Maybe you are in the direct path of some high power terrestrial microwave transmission path.

Ok I'm finally installing mp on my pos laptop now so hopefully I can check and maybe post my logs in a bit. I've had a great day on both batteries today just came in but did some experimenting with motors off at my crash site.

Seems that there may be something underground maybe causing the issue in my yard. I've got no idea what it could be but I'm pretty sure I've never seen what happened when I placed solo where it all started only on the ground. Have any of you ever even seen hdop at or around 100, not 1 but 100.5 or so. It had satellites but wouldn't arm and was bouncing from 2.2 ish to over a hundred hdop over and over again. I flew staying away from there and tried again afterwards and can't seem to get the same result. Seems strange that the only time that's ever happened was at this spot.

Also could have been whatever a neighbor nearby runs or whatever causes every car door remote that's been in my driveway or wireless products like switches, doorbells, pretty much any cheap wireless devices to not work or malfunction when near my home. Seems strange that this would be in just that area but only difference at that spot in my yard is a low spot but only maybe a few inches so I'm still unsure. Trust me I know this sounds kinda crazy and paranoid but I've tried twenty or so car remotes and a bunch of techie gadgets over the last year and nearly all have weird issues or light up but do nothing, best case work occasionally. Leave my property and all are fine including both my own cars, my parents new vehicles, my sisters and a few friends, also there's a wifi point called virus.exe and my neighbor built most of his home undeground, so I'm convinced something odd is happening or he uses something with enough rf power to confuse or drown out some devices.

All this is just to say that my solo may not have just tweaked out for no reason, but may have had interference from an outside source either buried there which I'm clueless what that could be or nearby issues that are unseen. I've been in this home 2 years and drove or flown at least fifteen Rcs that I own and beside some issues with phantom never had any unexplained issues arise.

So flying well again after another more perfect level calibration, I'm happy again at this point, with any luck I'll stay that way a while.
Maybe there is an underground electrical feed there, metal, phone cables. Got a metal detector?
Glad you're flying again.
When I do my advanced calibrations on the P2, I put a 2' level across the tops of the prop shafts then use business cards to put the bubble in the middle. I have not done that with the Solo. My P2 has more problems with drift than the Solo.

A LITTLE fun ... ?

Hurtful ...

I'm from Cincinnati and looked when you mentioned Australia, so I got to ask why?

What made you to move from Australia to Kentucky of all places, seems like a real nice place there for the most part? I was actually working in Kentucky yesterday at NKU. Just curious, good luck with your solo, you and rich make it worth coming here just for a laugh or two every day thanks.

Maybe there is an underground electrical feed there, metal, phone cables. Got a metal detector?
Glad you're flying again.
When I do my advanced calibrations on the P2, I put a 2' level across the tops of the prop shafts then use business cards to put the bubble in the middle. I have not done that with the Solo. My P2 has more problems with drift than the Solo.
Yea could be I know that national oil pipeline runs through the very back of my property you can see a huge difference in the trees where it is in my video when I'm by it but that's over a hundred yards away. Shouldn't be much anything there but maybe a septic line would this any of these things mentioned likely affect it starting fifteen feet up in the air would you think?

My lord mission planner is taking forever to install or it froze. Usually installs go quick is it normal for mp to rake a while.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl