Not sure of where you can fly

Hate to send you to the other brands site but there is more info there.

I have not tested the Solo in red areas but I know locks you down/out based on GPS location.

Which one locks you out based on GPS location? The Solo does not, nor does it give any warnings. The only warnings I see are from when you set the "altitude limit" to "no limit" there is a standard warning. Nothing based on the location for GPS's though. With all of the apps 3DR and (I assume) DJI made for use with their drones you'd think they could build in this type of stuff (no-fly zones and other users' favorites)

I got an app on Android called "Model Airfields" and on iPhone there is one as well, I can't remember the name though

There is an upside down wedding cake video that explains it well. I will see if I can find it.

Which one locks you out based on GPS location? The Solo does not, nor does it give any warnings.

I really don't know the answer to that. I know I was unable to set my limit to unlimited at home but as soon as I moved away I could get above that. I am right on edge of 5 miles from an airport that is not on DJI map. Not sure it it was related or a fluke.

I really don't know what 3DR is doing as they are not very clear about it.

I really don't know the answer to that. I know I was unable to set my limit to unlimited at home but as soon as I moved away I could get above that. I am right on edge of 5 miles from an airport that is not on DJI map. Not sure it it was related or a fluke.

I really don't know what 3DR is doing as they are not very clear about it.

Oh OK yeah actually I think you left "DJI" or "Phantom" out of your sentence (typo, I assume), so I was just speaking about the 3DR Solo, and wanted to make sure. They could always update/change that with a software update.

I was talking about my Solo.

I just mentioned DJI as they have a map and info on their site about the no fly spots.

I also live well within the 5-mile zone of a major international airport. My understanding is that these zones are off-limits no matter what, however, I see many people flying drones, launching model rockets, and R/C airplanes in parks that are within the 5-mile zone. Is under 400ft still OK in these areas? I assume no, but see people flying them all the time
As far as I understand it, no, it's not okay. Right now the enforcement is lax, but that could change pretty fast. You don't want to be the one they make an example of.

As far as I understand it, no, it's not okay. Right now the enforcement is lax, but that could change pretty fast. You don't want to be the one they make an example of.
Its not so much lax as it is nobody to enforce it. Local law enforcement (like me) don't have the authority, nor time and desire, to enforce it. Someone from the FAA would have to do it and they are pretty thin. But cause an issue with full size and I'm sure the FAA and press would be all over you..

View media item 42
saw the worst case of quadcopter flying last weekend at San Diego Comic-Con.

DJI had a booth/barge and was flying the Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 in the morning.

One, SDCC specifically banned use of drones and quadcopters during their event - "No devices may be flown or tethered within the confines of the Exhibit Hall or at any Comic-Con function in the Convention Center. This includes helium balloons and helium filled products, drones, or any lighter than air objects either powered or unpowered".

Two, the convention center is well within the 5 mile radius of the airport. not to mention all the military bases around it.

it's one thing to have a company or a person be ignorant of the rules, it's another for the corporation making the actual quadcopters to be ignorant of them - especially after so many high profile incidents. They stopped flying after the early morning (probably since they got their footage for their Oculus demo) but another one was flying late afternoon again.

hate to sound like Butter's dad, but there's a question of NEEDING to get a shot with your quad and WANTING to get a shot. nowadays with people and social media, there's more "want" than "need".

Thought I would add some information here that you might find useful.
Regarding airports, drones may not fly within 5 nautical miles of ANY airport that is listed in the current FAA Airport/Facility directory. Private airports are about the only ones not listed in the directory.

Drones shall not be flown higher than 400' above ground level (AGL).

Try this website: www.mapdevelopers.com.

It has tools to measure map distances, etc. The most useful for us is the circle tool. Click on the center where you want your circle (an airport) and tell it the radius of the circle (5 miles) and you will know where you can't fly. It uses google maps.

The other information came from the local FAA FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) in Scottsdale, AZ. I learned about them when I got my pilots certificate in 1988.

Cheers -:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc