Northern Virginia Soloist

Reaction score
Hey guys!

My name is Ryan and I'm a photographer from the Northern Virginia area. I bought a Solo last week as part of the $299 deal. I had a gift card such brought it down to $199 plus the bonus accessories.

So far I love it. I crashed it onto my patio once and chewed up the propellers and scratched the arms up a bit, but it still seems to fly just fine. I have a couple of questions.

Does anyone know if Best Buy plans on doing this sale again? If so, I'm definitely picking another Solo up.

I have a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver. Obviously it won't work with the gimbal, so I was thinking about upgrading to a Hero 4 Black. Will I have all the functionality of the gimbal if I make that purchase? Will SmartShot and everything work?

Thanks guys!

Hi Ryan- welcome to the forum!
Yes, the gimbal and everything else will work fine with the 4 black.

Make sure and download & read the owners manual from the 3DR web site.

There's no telling what Best Buy will do in the future but these sales have been going on for some time.

Greetings Ryan! I'm a Northern Virginia flyer as well. Glad to see you here. Best Buy has been up and down with the prices on the 3DR gear. I think it's part of their marketing. Right now the accessories are all on sale, so you may want to snap up some extras, like propellers. Have fun flying! It's tough finding good flying space here in Northern Virginia.

Max

Thanks guys!

I'm so worried that I may have internally damaged something when I wrecked the drone the first time on concrete. Chewed up a few props, but I ordered more as well as a backpack and a battery. I'm really hoping Best Buy puts them back on sale, cause I'll buy another in a heartbeat!

Do you know of any good flying areas around here, Max?

Do you know of any good flying areas around here, Max?

Ida Lee Park in Leesburg has a reserved field just for RC flying. It's a big flying area so you don't have to worry about neighbors/bystanders complaining. You have to fill out a form at the park building, but it's a simple formality. There's also the Northern Virginia RC club, which has a reserved field near Manassas. It's a few hundred bucks to join the club, but Ida Lee Park is free. You can find both on-line.

Ryan,

I also have the GoPro Hero3 Silver, it's works with the Solo, you just don't have all the cool features. You have to turn the camera on and press record before you start the drone. It does take some great shots, but I'm looking at purchasing a new GoPro myself. You can get a refurbished Hero4 Black for $329 on the GoPro site or if you have any unwanted United miles, you can use miles to help pay for one. I can get a new one for $151 + 44,000 miles. Not a bad price seeing as most new ones are over $350. Enjoy the Solo.

Reactions: BonsaiGuy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo