No Video Feed (Not ever) Hero 3+ Black

Reaction score
From day 1, I've never had video feed from my drone to either Samsung Galaxy Note 5 or my Samsung Tablet. Chatted with Solo help, they diagnosed the issue as a bad HDMI cable. Sent me a new cable - still no video feed. After second chat session, they sent me a refurbished drone - still zip. I can get a video feed from my GoPro onto my TV with no problems. I've tried contacting Solo to let them know drone #2 doesn't work, but they must be on Christmas vacation because chat is down and my e-mail hasn't been answered yet. I've tried every recording format on my GoPro, and I've even uploaded past firmware downloads to see if that was the issue (tried the latest, 3.00.00 and 2.00.00). I've tried at least a dozen different startup sequences, and I've tried installing and re-installing the apps. I even removed all the GoPro apps from my devices, nothing seems to work.

I've read lots of reports of bad feed, or feeds that work but then stop, but has anyone had an issue where there was never a feed to begin with? Aside from no video feed, the drone is awesome - but the only reason I got the Solo over DJI is because I've already invested in GoPro attachments and extra batteries. Anyone have any new suggestions to try, I'm getting pretty bummed out here.

JIM

From day 1, I've never had video feed from my drone to either Samsung Galaxy Note 5 or my Samsung Tablet. Chatted with Solo help, they diagnosed the issue as a bad HDMI cable. Sent me a new cable - still no video feed. After second chat session, they sent me a refurbished drone - still zip. I can get a video feed from my GoPro onto my TV with no problems. I've tried contacting Solo to let them know drone #2 doesn't work, but they must be on Christmas vacation because chat is down and my e-mail hasn't been answered yet. I've tried every recording format on my GoPro, and I've even uploaded past firmware downloads to see if that was the issue (tried the latest, 3.00.00 and 2.00.00). I've tried at least a dozen different startup sequences, and I've tried installing and re-installing the apps. I even removed all the GoPro apps from my devices, nothing seems to work.

I've read lots of reports of bad feed, or feeds that work but then stop, but has anyone had an issue where there was never a feed to begin with? Aside from no video feed, the drone is awesome - but the only reason I got the Solo over DJI is because I've already invested in GoPro attachments and extra batteries. Anyone have any new suggestions to try, I'm getting pretty bummed out here.

JIM
I just got mine out of the box for the first time today and got all the updates for the controller and Solo installed. I got the Solo app to connect (sometimes) to my iPhone 6 and did get the Solo Simulator app to work, but I got no video feed from my Gopro Hero 3+ Black either in the Solo app. I figured I got half way there today and I'll start working on the video trouble tomorrow. I was trying it without the gimbal, just direct mounted. I'll hook up the gimbal later and see how that goes.

With the Solo on, the GoPro On, and the App running - I plugged my controller into a TV and got a black screen with a message saying "please wait, booting now".

I may be making a little headway... I stumbled across this thread in another forum:

Permalink Reply by Fish on October 11, 2015 at 7:30am

This may help you with your issues...or not. I guess we'll see. (I posted this elsewhere)

HOW TO START & STOP RECORD OF GOPRO via A SMARTPHONE...REMOTELY!

Okay…maybe I’m the dumbest RC pilot alive. Perhaps so dumb I don’t even know how to tie my own shoes. Maybe I can’t even breathe voluntarily.
But on the off chance I’m not alone, I think you should share how to control the on/off record function of a GoPro camera on a 3DR Solo.
Here's my breakdown:

• First, this only works with the gimbal installed.
  • Second, make SURE you have the latest firmware installed on your GoPro.
  • Third, go into the phone’s setting and make sure the “save to camera roll” switch is turned OFF.
Done, done & done? Good.
Now, if you are looking for a button on your controller clearly marked “RECORD” you will not find it.
If you look for it in the manual. Not there either.
How about the training videos? Nada.
Or maybe the FAQs? (shaking head).
Perhaps you are supposed to use your powers of Telekinesis. Well, maybe…but I, myself, am not gifted as such.
To save everyone the trouble of having to call tech support (which I did to find out - they were great, btw):
you turn on and off the record by….

clicking the left paddle on the controller.
That’s correct.
You press IN the control that control’s the Gimbal’s up/down motion.
It’s on the forward face of the controller.
You’ll feel a slight click when you do.
Click ON. Click OFF.
That’s it.
TOTALLY obvious, right?
Ya, I thought so too.
Some videos or screen shots show a range of controls on screen that allow you to control the GoPros settings right from your phone.
Pretty cool, huh? Too bad of of this date they do not exist.
Alas.
Anyway, you’re welcome.

So I installed the gimbal (before finding this info) and was getting no response from the Hero3+ Black. Then I turned off "save to camera roll" in the Solo App. I turned everything off and restarted the Controller. After it said waiting for Solo, I turned on the Solo and it turned on the Gorpro. Then I connected my phone's wifi to the Solo and started the Solo App. I still didn't get a video feed, but it did control recording to the Gopro and it did actually record. Now if I can just nail down the video feed thing. I think it may be an HDMI cable problem. Checking that next.

Thanks Coparatech. When I had the first drone (before I sent it back to 3DR), I was able to stop and start recording, change modes, etc from my phone to the GoPro while it was flying, just couldn't see what it was recording. NOW however, I'm even worse off because when I sent 3DR the drone for repair, they sent me a refurbished drone WITHOUT a gimbal. I'm waiting on a response from 3DR now, but it's been almost a week. Let me know how you fair with the video feed.

Well I found the problem... at least most of the problem... It was my settings on the Gopro. I switched it to 1080, 60FPS (I think 30 FPS will work fine too), and Medium FOV. Now I have live feed. I tested it and it does record as well. There is still a problem with the Solo/Gimbal powering the camera on when I turn the Solo on, but I found a temporary work around. I just turn the Gopro on before turning on the Solo and it works fine. Might be a Gimbal problem, but everything else seems work fine. We'll see how it goes when I take it out for the first flight. I did notice the Gopro gets pretty warmer than normal after it's been on for a little while. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Well I found the problem... at least most of the problem... It was my settings on the Gopro. I switched it to 1080, 60FPS (I think 30 FPS will work fine too), and Medium FOV. Now I have live feed. I tested it and it does record as well. There is still a problem with the Solo/Gimbal powering the camera on when I turn the Solo on, but I found a temporary work around. I just turn the Gopro on before turning on the Solo and it works fine. Might be a Gimbal problem, but everything else seems work fine. We'll see how it goes when I take it out for the first flight. I did notice the Gopro gets pretty warmer than normal after it's been on for a little while. I'll have to keep an eye on that.
GoPro Hero 3+ Black here. I has this same issue last Monday, worked thru it in the same way (was coming here to tell you to put the GoPro into 1080/60p, etc, but you found it before I got home). My camera defaulted to 1440-something and *poof* no video (it recorded it, I just never saw it while flying). So now I check that.

The camera needs to be powered on to work, the Solo won't power it on (it might for a Hero4, but not the 3+). Its part of my start up checklist:
- Camera power, check 1080 on the display
- Controller power.
- Drone power.
- iPad.

In that order. So far, that seems to be the best sequence.

Awesome, DarinN, thanks! Mine defaulted to 1440 too. Do you notice if your Gopro feels very warm after it's been on for a while in the gimbal? Mine does and it never felt that warm before. I wonder if it has to do with the battery I'm using, it's a Smatree 1290 mAh battery. Does the Solo charge the Goprpo battery through the gimbal?

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my HERO 4 and GIMBAL. I can not get the video feed on my Iphone. I can control GOPRO with GIMBAL, record, take photo, but WITHOUT the video feed.
I tried almost all the tips I found in this forom and ended up not having the expected result. I am arranging another GIMBAL to test. This is driving me crazy.

Did you try changing the Gopro settings? Set them to 1080, 60 or 30 FPS, Medium FOV. Make sure "Save to Camera Roll" is turned off in the Solo App settings and try turning the Gopro on before turning on the Solo.

Reactions: froylgvb
Glad it worked for ya Coparatech! Sadly, changing formats did nothing for my case. I WAS able to borrow a GoPro Hero 4 and tested it on my solo - worked just fine. I believe that means there is some sort of software issue between my GoPro Hero3+ Black and the Solo Drone? I've tried numerous video settings and frame rates, I've updated to the latest GoPro firmware and even downgraded to 2 previous versions of GoPro firmware, I've tried multiple different start up sequences. I can get video from the GoPro to a TV just fine. Not sure what other options I have except upgrade my GoPro.

Sorry to hear that. Did you compare all the settings on the Hero 4 with your Hero3+ Black? It still might be one little thing that's set different. Also, turn the Hero 3 on before you power up the Solo and see if that works. I did update my H3+ Black to the latest update, but I don't think that made any difference.

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my HERO 4 and GIMBAL. I can not get the video feed on my Iphone. I can control GOPRO with GIMBAL, record, take photo, but WITHOUT the video feed.
I tried almost all the tips I found in this forom and ended up not having the expected result. I am arranging another GIMBAL to test. This is driving me crazy.

I hope others find my easy and logical solution as easy as my experience with a brand-new pre-installed gimbal package sending back that discouraging black screen from an upgraded GoPro 4 black. I removed the gimbal from the solo enough to access the cabling bits; then unseated the HDMI cable from the gimbal and carefully and firmly reset it. After reassembly I was delighted to see video. Perhaps they had some tired assemblers some days.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem with a hero 4 black. The tilt and the gimbal responds, yet I have no live video feed. I'm going to go home and try the save to camera roll off trick. Other than that this machine is in the hands of the users now... I'll post later and share my experience. (I'm using an iPhone 6s Plus)

I have the oppisite prob i got live fees but wont record, gopro 3+black

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986