No License Required If You "Fly for Fun"

Reaction score
Website
www.autochart.com
I just got off the phone with the FAA and if your Solo is over .55 Lbs then it must be registered and you need to mark the aircraft with the registration number and carry a copy of your registration with you when flying. You can register your drone here for $5.00. sUAS Registration

If you only fly for fun and make no money with your drone and you call one of the testing centers they will tell you that you have to have a license and it will cost you $150 to get one. THIS IS A SCAM.

The agent I spoke to said he was opening a case for me to get the web site updated to clarify that a hobby flyer doesn't need a license. He is also letting his management know that testing centers are trying to get hobby flyers to pay $150 for a license that they don't need.

Orin

The hobby use rules have been in effect for a very long time. This isn't news. The FAA websites is and has been pretty clear about what's required. There are no testing centers to call in the first place, as no such test even exists. There is no such thing as a license for UAVs either. And there is nothing that costs $150. Honestly, everything you just said makes zero sense.

I think what he's trying to say is that there are quite a few UAV "licensing" and "training" scam operations out there taking advantage of people that don't know any better.

@Pedals2Paddles
1) Visit this site: Unmanned Aircraft Systems
2) Read this document: http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf and note 2nd bullet point in this section: Remote Pilot in Command Certification and Responsibilities
3) Call "Computer Assisted Testing Service (CATS)" and ask them if you need a license. Here is a PDF of testing centers:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf

Maybe reading these and making a phone call will make this post make sense to you.

@Zim
That's exactly why I made this post.

I think what he's trying to say is that there are quite a few UAV "licensing" and "training" scam operations out there taking advantage of people that don't know any better.
Absolutely. The simplicity of the application process should put those morons out of business now. The process is outlined here: Becoming a Pilot

Absolutely. The simplicity of the application process should put those morons out of business now. The process is outlined here: Becoming a Pilot

Note the 4th bullet point : " Pass the initial aeronautical knowledge exam at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center" there is the confusion that started this.

By reading that it made me believe that I had to contact a training center and go take a test at a training center.

Can you now understand how someone new to the hobby might think that they need to go pay for a license at one of the training centers?

its the statist engrained in you...quit asking permission for stuff, just be responsible

Last edited:
These are places that do FAA testing for normal pilots as well. These are not new testing centers for UAV pilots. If you want to fly for NON HOBBY USE, you need to follow these new part 107 rules. That does include going to a testing center and taking a test. It has nothing at all to do with personal hobby use though.

hob·by
noun
noun: hobby; plural noun: hobbies
an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
"her hobbies are reading and gardening"
synonyms: pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit;
sideline, side interest, diversion, avocation;
recreation, entertainment, amusement
"writing poetry is just one of my hobbies"

No Joke: 11 Hobbies That Make Money -- The Motley Fool
No Joke: 11 Hobbies That Make Money
Who knew these 11 fun hobbies could actually turn into a cash cow for consumers?

I only went there because the FAQ link on the page Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help had this section
Knowledge Testing/Remote Pilot Certification and item 4 had the link to the testing centers and item 6 the cost.

Look guys, I'm just trying to stop someone from thinking they need to get a license to enjoy the hobby and I'm sorry if you don't want new folks to be informed. I'm amazed at the negative comments some of you have made regarding this subject.

Hi Orin, sorry if my posts seemed negative towards you, that wasnt my intention...I am pissed that yet again, some govt bureaucracy is attempting to regulate my activity...give them an inch, theyll run with it and you can look forward to yearly fees/exams/insurance/random checks/cavity searches etc etc ..never ends...#liberty

Reactions: Orin
Hi Orin, sorry if my posts seemed negative towards you, that wasnt my intention...I am pissed that yet again, some govt bureaucracy is attempting to regulate my activity...give them an inch, theyll run with it and you can look forward to yearly fees/exams/insurance/random checks/cavity searches etc etc ..never ends...#liberty

Thank you for clarifying your post.

Reactions: jibcamera
First off, lets lighten up little people. No need to take out frustrations on other members.

I am not sure where the confusion is coming from... if you want a 107 you will pay the fee. You only need a 107 for commercial use, not hobby recreational use, so if you fly for fun, no worries. Fun fliers use the same rules that have been in place for years and a quick online registration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orin
making money from a hobby is not unheard of...the 2 are not mutually exclusive. What if racing drones is my hobby, I enter a race and win $100? Am i now a commercial pilot?

Thank you for clarifying your post.
Orin,
As another new UAV user I want to let you know that maybe unlike others I appreciate your posting.
I am here to learn as well. Not everyone visiting here is an experienced and seasoned user. If I offend anyone because of my lack of knowledge I not going to apologize. THANK YOU !

@Mr GruntHunter
Thanks and I think you'll find that the majority of members here are very helpful and those that like to slam a post are few and far between. Some can be a little caustic ;) in their replies but they can also be very helpful. Good luck with your Solo - I really like mine and you'll find that it's VERY easy for a newbie to fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44