No 4K with Solo and Gimbal?

Reaction score
So I pretty much settled on picking up a Solo once the gimbal was available, and recently purchased a Hero 4 Black in anticipation. From what I've seen of the people who've received their gimbals already, the props are in the field of view whenever wide or ultra wide is chosen. And since medium isn't an option at 4K, I'm just looking to confirm that that basically means you can't shoot 4K on a Solo unless it's looking decidedly down, or you change the lens, which most certainly voids any warranty on the GoPro?

Kind of a bummer, no?

Curious about this too even after editing will the legs affect the focus of the camera, I guess it's not like a normal auto focus so it shouldn't really right?

Kinda dumb question but any times I've had legs in my shot I've removed them one way or another before flight.

Maybe gopro will get an update to add medium field of view or something to compensate. I have to assume that since the competition is filming 4k legless that we should get some fix for this in the near future. Editing them outs just another step which kinda negates the features that are eliminating other steps like start stop control so you don't need to get useless content or large files.

The GoPro's 2.7k, medium fov is great and you can shoot up to 60fps. Looks fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i specifically use 2.7k/60fps

because the sensor size is so small, there is almost no difference b/w 4k and 2k unless you crop.

getting 60fps at 2.7k is the best balance i feel for quad use.

i specifically use 2.7k/60fps

because the sensor size is so small, there is almost no difference b/w 4k and 2k unless you crop.

getting 60fps at 2.7k is the best balance i feel for quad use.
Thanks yea I bought a new computer and the extreme card just to rarely ever bother with 4k it's more a pain in the azz than anything. 2.7 does seem very close to the same on most every display currently and is a lot easier and less time consuming to deal with.

Thanks yea I bought a new computer and the extreme card just to rarely ever bother with 4k it's more a pain in the azz than anything. 2.7 does seem very close to the same on most every display currently and is a lot easier and less time consuming to deal with.
I think it's a waste of time. Don't you have to have a 4K capable monitor as well? Not a whole lot of video cards support it yet either. True 4K that is.

Reactions: prowler9
The OP is correct about 4K and the legs, you can get around this with a replacement lens.

Now I have to say first I don't buy arguments about people not having 4K, it's growing rapidly, this month the 2 main TV rivals in the UK offered 4K channels, 4K TV's are now seriously cheap, people can easily afford them as a replacement for 1080p, so come Christmas I think 4K adoption will accelerate... I'm reading this forum myself on a 4K monitor.

However, there is a very good point about 2.7K, 4K on the Inspire and GoPro is recording at a bitrate that is seriously far too low, it's about a third what a GH4 would record at. Especially in darker areas of the video compression kills off all detail into a horrible looking mush.

With that in mind I'd much prefer 2.7k 50/60FPS over 4K any day.

Reactions: Michael Stevenson
For post work, I have a liquid Cooled 4800 MHZ 16 meg/1866 system, Very fast, but some 4K videos from GoPro slows it down, can't work on anything else, until Premiere finishes what ever it's doing with Video,

2.7 K is a delight to work with, everything is smooth, can work on audio, while Premiere does color grading or some other CPU intensive work.

But what is for sure, the best output depends on the best input, So if your going re-make "Gone with the Wind" with a GoPro ;), then i would shoot 4K, but 2.7 60FPS looks really good! :)

Thanks everyone, it's not going to change my decision to go with the Solo, I just wanted to confirm it before the purchase as opposed to being a little disappointed learning it after. On the one hand, I agree that 4K is mostly unnecessary these days. On the other, things change so quick and it's only a short matter of time before it's the norm. I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with 1080 and 2.7, and can always go the lens route down the line.

Just trying to get up the nerve to pull the trigger on a $1500 purchase!

For post work, I have a liquid Cooled 4800 MHZ 16 meg/1866 system, Very fast, but some 4K videos from GoPro slows it down, can't work on anything else, until Premiere finishes what ever it's doing with Video

I'm on a 20 core workstation, so processing power isn't an issue ;)

Reactions: Raybro
Thanks everyone, it's not going to change my decision to go with the Solo, I just wanted to confirm it before the purchase as opposed to being a little disappointed learning it after. On the one hand, I agree that 4K is mostly unnecessary these days. On the other, things change so quick and it's only a short matter of time before it's the norm. I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with 1080 and 2.7, and can always go the lens route down the line.

I normally shoot at 720 60 FPS and I am perfectly satisfied with it. It looks good and is quick to post edit. I feel like you'll get better performance from a GoPro than the P3 Pro camera...and I don't think you can go wrong with the Solo either.

"I'm on a 20 core workstation" You do much video editing?

1500 is what I planned on too or a bit more but I went just a little bit way over budget unfortunatley. Lmfao it's been money well spent though I love it and there's no comparing it with my p2. 1500 will get you going though I've just gone overboard and needed some upgrades to my solo supporting electronics anyway.

With 20 Cores, I should have known 3D rendering.
Welcome to 3DRpilots.

Thanks for the welcome. Yea, really no other tasks demands high core counts the way that rendering does. Last year was the year to upgrade my system, this year is for toys! (the Solo). ;)

1500 is what I planned on too or a bit more but I went just a little bit way over budget unfortunatley. Lmfao it's been money well spent though I love it and there's no comparing it with my p2. 1500 will get you going though I've just gone overboard and needed some upgrades to my solo supporting electronics anyway.

What else did you get? I have the camera, I'm thinking the Solo, the gimbal, an extra battery and an extra set of props should do it. I can add more later if need be. I built a 250 quad a bit ago to get up to speed on flying quads, before that I'd been flying some helis. The quad is so much easier to fly, I'm thinking I can jump up to the Solo.

I was toying with building a hex with a gimbal, but I'd be spending at 1/2 to 3/4 what the Solo costs, for less capabilities, and end up with none of the tight integration that the Solo has.

Thanks for the welcome. Yea, really no other tasks demands high core counts the way that rendering does. Last year was the year to upgrade my system, this year is for toys! (the Solo). ;)

What else did you get? I have the camera, I'm thinking the Solo, the gimbal, an extra battery and an extra set of props should do it. I can add more later if need be. I built a 250 quad a bit ago to get up to speed on flying quads, before that I'd been flying some helis. The quad is so much easier to fly, I'm thinking I can jump up to the Solo.

I was toying with building a hex with a gimbal, but I'd be spending at 1/2 to 3/4 what the Solo costs, for less capabilities, and end up with none of the tight integration that the Solo has.

Sorry for the book here

Yea you get a lot for your money with solo I think, like most I got solo for aerial photography, but you also get an fpv quad that does over 50 mph, an acrobatic quad you can do a lot with and who knows what else solo can do from here on. Plus you get the smart shots and two computers that sooner or later will be utilized in ways that the p3 or inspire won't be able to copy like they're doing with the current shots.

One thing you'll probably want ASAP is an antenna upgrade, I got the fpvlr for about 140 and its great, the stock antennas are very lacking.

The rest is mostly stuff you probably have or optional things I decided on . I got the backpack and it's great plus other spare parts and batteries. I had a hero 3 so had to upgrade to a 4 black to have control. Wanted to upgrade to a better phone/tablet since my iPad isn't compatible and my 5s is beat up and small. Ended up finding a great deal on an s6 I couldn't pass up which I love, but honestly my iPhone gets smoother video and I think it's the difference in app since the s6 specs are great. Because that sadly I may end up getting an iPad mini sooner or later unless I can get it figured out. Also had a satellite laptop so had to upgrade for editing to a Sager which your not going to have to worry about.

Then my to do list is a peau lens, a set of new wifi cards and the sensors as soon as they become available.

It's a lot o stuff but it's much better for me to be able to buy these upgrades that come out in the next year or two rather than buy a new phantom or inspire every year. So yea I'm spending now but I got most of it for great prices being patient on Craigslist or rcg brand new and I'll be saving myself from spending down the road on a phone and a pc. That said you'll have a great setup for the 1500 ish range. I would suggest either the fpvlr or DBS antennas though they both make a big difference in more than just range, some are also having success with different mods for range or gps which is another thing you won't see a lot of with the competition. Don't hesitate even though the launch has been less than perfect 3dr seems to have things under control now.

Fly safe buddy you already did the best thing you could coming here, read up and ask questions, I'm a noob compared to most on the forum and there's a ton of great info and help here that will keep you in the air and having a great experience with your solo.

Sorry for the book here

No, thanks for all the info. I see there's at least several hundred worth of additional odds and ends I should plan for, at least down the line a bit. Only interested in the Solo for video, I have the little 250 I can set up for FPV, and I'm really not interested in aerobatics at all. Had a little mishap with my 250 tumbling out of the sky, and I don't care to see a quad upside down ever again!

And what you touched on regarding the Solo's advantages is what gained my interest over DJI. That and 3DR's vastly better reputation when it comes to customer service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl