Night Flying with Solo

Reaction score
Website
dattagroover.com
Just wondered if anyone noticed that the rule about night flying is now missing from the FAA drone guidelines: Model Aircraft Operations

It also seems to be missing from the Australia rules (which are more comprehensive than the U.S. rules - for example, they don't allow operation within 30 meters of other people NOT involved in flight operation of the UAV). The Australians are adding a new set of rules this September, where night flying is prohibited.

Any thoughts on that? @RolandS888 do you read current Aussie rules as being allowed to fly at night (not the guidelines but the actual rules)?

It also seems to be missing from the Australia rules (which are more comprehensive than the U.S. rules - for example, they don't allow operation within 30 meters of other people NOT involved in flight operation of the UAV). The Australians are adding a new set of rules this September, where night flying is prohibited.

Any thoughts on that? @RolandS888 do you read current Aussie rules as being allowed to fly at night (not the guidelines but the actual rules)?

For model a/c currently 101.390 allows it if the approved aao (such as maaa) allows it.

MAAA has a MOP which is straight forwards. So if you follow that then all good. Not sure about AMAS.

For commercial ops its not allowed unless an area approval is granted. NSW Police for example have a blanket approval for night flights and flying within 5.5km of an airport / hls in metro Sydney.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Its an exemption that has to be granted to fly at night or closer than 30m to persons, rather than an area approval. Area approval is for flying in proximity to an airfield, whether it is controlled or not.
CASA are currently altering their night and person-proximity rules, I received this today regarding exemption applications....
(This is for Australia)

upload_2016-6-2_19-17-46.png

Reactions: DattaGroover
For model a/c currently 101.390 allows it if the approved aao (such as maaa) allows it.

MAAA has a MOP which is straight forwards. So if you follow that then all good. Not sure about AMAS.

For commercial ops its not allowed unless an area approval is granted. NSW Police for example have a blanket approval for night flights and flying within 5.5km of an airport / hls in metro Sydney.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
THanks!

Its an exemption that has to be granted to fly at night or closer than 30m to persons, rather than an area approval. Area approval is for flying in proximity to an airfield, whether it is controlled or not.
CASA are currently altering their night and person-proximity rules, I received this today regarding exemption applications....
(This is for Australia)

View attachment 3508
Thanks for that!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44