NIB battery storage

Reaction score
Dumb question here. Going through my piles of stuff and realized I have 2 new batteries still in the boxes. I don't need them right now. Is it safe to store them like that or will they go bad without getting charged and discharged?

Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
What are their voltage now? You want to store a LiPo at 50-70%, ideally closer to 50% for longest term storage life.

What are their voltage now? You want to store a LiPo at 50-70%, ideally closer to 50% for longest term storage life.
No idea. They're still sealed in the boxes. I haven't needed them yet, and figured as long as I didn't, I would keep them in the boxes in case I want to sell them at some point.

Likely still fine, then. Some people would say to check on them and add some charge if necessary to get them up to 50% if they've dropped below that, but I would probably just leave them alone, stored in a cool, dry place. Especially if you want to sell them unopened at some point.

Likely still fine, then. Some people would say to check on them and add some charge if necessary to get them up to 50% if they've dropped below that, but I would probably just leave them alone, stored in a cool, dry place. Especially if you want to sell them unopened at some point.
Thanks. That was my plan. I figure it's easier to sell batteries as new when they're still sealed in the box. I keep them in the basement which has a dehumidifier and stays pretty dry and cool.

Dumb question here. Going through my piles of stuff and realized I have 2 new batteries still in the boxes. I don't need them right now. Is it safe to store them like that or will they go bad without getting charged and discharged?
I was wondering about that also. I still have three new batteries and all the rest of mine only have, at the most, 5-10 min of flying fully charged. So I opened one of the brand new ones and checked the charge right out of the box and it was charged to about 50%. So I charged it up fully and flew it and the charge lasted around 15 min. What a pleasure and a surprise the stored batterie worked like new. That about the most time I usually get out of a new battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso