Newbie doesn't even know how to start recording

Reaction score
I bought a used Solo. I've looked over all the info I have and I cannot determine how to start and stop recording. I've made sure the camera is up to date.

What am I overlooking?

I just hit the record button on the gopro before i take off...

That is what I did on my maiden flight. I assumed that since the gimbal mount made it rather difficult to get to the button that there must be a remote way to start and stop recording.

Can you take a look at the following two images and let me know if this is the normal interface? On the first one there is a grayed out button on the right with a phone and gopro symbol that is marked out. On the second image, all the settings are grayed out. I'm unfamiliar with the interface, but this many things being grayed out seems odd to me.

what.png

grayed.png

It is a gopro 4. I'm pretty sure I selected the right one, but I'll re-check that.

So, a quick update on this. I bought a GoPro Hero 4 Black and tried that. It has the exact same issues. I've taken the gimbal out and reinstalled it. I saw nothing out of the ordinary there. I have no idea what the issue is.

Possibly of note: I can control the GoPros from the gopro app. I'm not suggesting that I'd do that with the Solo since I'd need to have the camera wifi on and it would be a hassle. I'm just pointing this out to potentially rule out the cameras as the issue.

Your questions about the interface and what its symbols means are answered in the Solo User Manual, pages 42-46. Have you read this yet? If not, PLEASE read the ENTIRE manual before even attempting to fly. See especially page 44-46, which explains how to tell the app exactly which GoPro model you have. Doing this activates the controls that you currently can't use. When all's set correctly, you remotely start and stop video recording by EITHER tapping the big red "Record Button" on the app screen (see page 44) OR you can use the secret method: press the gimbal tilt control paddle (behind the left side of the controller) *in* (you should feel it click).

"Needless to say, never say anything that is needless to say." -- overheard

For some reason I can't see the pictures, but the recommended setting for your GoPro camera on the 3dr solo is 1080P and 60fps. My feed is just all black when I don't use the right setting.

Your questions about the interface and what its symbols means are answered in the Solo User Manual, pages 42-46. Have you read this yet? If not, PLEASE read the ENTIRE manual before even attempting to fly. See especially page 44-46, which explains how to tell the app exactly which GoPro model you have. Doing this activates the controls that you currently can't use. When all's set correctly, you remotely start and stop video recording by EITHER tapping the big red "Record Button" on the app screen (see page 44) OR you can use the secret method: press the gimbal tilt control paddle (behind the left side of the controller) *in* (you should feel it click).

Thanks. Yes, I read the manual. My image where I ask "What are these?" really should have said "Why are these greyed-out?". The secret method doesn't work either. On my Hero 4 Solver and the Hero 4 Black none of the controls are available. I get the video feed just find, but not the controls.

In the manual, on page 44, it illustrates the different states of the record button and associated icons. On "D", which is how my GoPro icon looks, it states "Video mode, GoPro recording disabled (camera might be off or missing memory card)". My memory card is in and functioning.

I'm now resetting the drone to see if that will sort things out.

Had a similar issue after installing the gimbal. Go into the applications menu, reset and clear the cache for the Solo app. Reboot, and set up the Solo app..

Reactions: johnrhopkins
Had a similar issue after installing the gimbal. Go into the applications menu, reset and clear the cache for the Solo app. Reboot, and set up the Solo app..

We have a winner! That is all it took. I was SURE it wasn't related to the mobile device because the issue was identical across three devices! I was wrong.

Thank you!!!

johnrhopkins,

I am having the same issue as you. Where do I find the applications menu to do a reset and clear the cache for the Solo app? Is it simply a reset of the Solo app? Please advise as I am pulling my hair out to get the 3DR to record.

Thanks in advanced!

J0S0L0,

I am having the same issue as you. Where do I find the applications menu to do a reset and clear the cache for the Solo app? Is it simply a reset of the Solo app? Please advise as I am pulling my hair out to get the 3DR to record.

Thanks in advance!

We have a winner! That is all it took. I was SURE it wasn't related to the mobile device because the issue was identical across three devices! I was wrong.

Thank you!!!

johnrhopkins,

Thanks in advance!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea