New Tower v. 4.0.0-Final Release

Tower Version 4.0.0 changelog as posted in post #1 of this thread: (same w/ beta)
- Remove dependency on 3DR Services
- Support for Baidu map
- Compass calibration support for Solo and ArduCopter v3.4 or higher
- Restore vehicle history screen
- Ability to export the vehicle flight path as a mission
- Deprecate '.dpwp' mission file for '.txt' mission file to improve compatibility with other GCS
- Autosave last survey preferences
- Fix invalid altitude frame for Follow-Me and Guided mode
- Fix Takeoff mission waypoint for plane vehicles

Thanks SARDG,

I did not realize this content was pushed to the regular Tower. I just downloaded it. I am still confused with the instructions from Peau on location to post .XML file for camera lens profile. My only Android is for Solo Controller Tablet, I'm not so good at navigating inside Android tablet for this file location. Any help is appreciated.

Can't help you with the lens profile - I ordered the GP4B w/3.97 lens and profile installed because I read enough posts of people cursing the lens profile install procedure. :eek: There were several related posts so put your search hat on and you may find something.

Android navigates the file system exactly like DOS and Windows. Download Ghost Commander File Manager - it's friendlier for file navigation, recognizes ftp drives and has plugins for Dropbox, Amazon Drive, and other Cloud servers.
Ghost Commander File Manager - Android Apps on Google Play

ETA: * OCT 10, 2016 - Tower Final Release v 4.0.0 now on Google Play.

I had been playing with the old Tower beta v 3.2.1-beta.8 because the regular release version would crash now and again on my S5 Galaxy, but not the old beta.

Tower 4.0.0 -beta.2 was pushed this morning, just a few hours after beta.1

Version 4.0.0 Beta.2 changelog:

- Remove dependency on 3DR Services
- Support for Baidu map
- Compass calibration support for Solo and ArduCopter v3.4 or higher
- Restore vehicle history screen
- Ability to export the vehicle flight path as a mission
- Deprecate '.dpwp' mission file for '.txt' mission file to improve compatibility with other GCS
- Autosave last survey preferences
- Fix invalid altitude frame for Follow-Me and Guided mode
- Fix Takeoff mission waypoint for plane vehicles

If I don't give the link, perhaps I won't be accused of any NDA violations, etc. - though I never signed up for any Tower beta testing - I simply found it on the Play Store a couple of months ago.

Being new to all this... I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the additional apps needed for this and that. My questions are as follows: Why do I need the Tower app? Do I need this tower app if I am using the new Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" with Android 6.0.1? Next question is: If I do need this app, do I use it in conjunction with the Solo app I was told to download in order to fly my Solo? Any help from veterans to a true NEWBIE would be great. o_O

Being new to all this... I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the additional apps needed for this and that. My questions are as follows: Why do I need the Tower app? Do I need this tower app if I am using the new Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" with Android 6.0.1? Next question is: If I do need this app, do I use it in conjunction with the Solo app I was told to download in order to fly my Solo? Any help from veterans to a true NEWBIE would be great. o_O
You don't NEED the Tower App for anything at all, unless you want to use it's special functions not available on the 3DR App. Download it, look at it, play with it as it relates to your bird.

If I have a question about SW, I download it and use it and make my own decisions. Easy-peasy....

I guess I'm having trouble understanding its purpose. It sounds like this runs parallel to the 3DR app and you have to toggle between the two which sounds dangerous with a bird in the air... Sorry for being uneducated on all this but that's why you all are here. lol

How do I know if I need it or not was the first question I asked originally.

Are you doing mapping or surveys?
that is the big user reason for using it as the solo app does not offer that
then you get into advanced parameter manipulation, but I tend to not recommend that to new users as you can get in trouble fast there

Reactions: Chuck and SARDG
I guess I'm having trouble understanding its purpose. It sounds like this runs parallel to the 3DR app and you have to toggle between the two which sounds dangerous with a bird in the air... Sorry for being uneducated on all this but that's why you all are here. lol
No, you DO NOT need Tower at all, whatsoever. They are mutually exclusive. The average Solo operator and 100% of newbs do not need Tower at all, ever - period. Again, if you want to know what it does and what it can do, download it and look at It- it is free.

I realize you are new to this, but you cannot seem to take "no, you don't need it" for an answer. Go fly your Solo with the 3DR App - only! There is no toggling or concurrent Apps required for Solo flight. As a matter of fact there IS NO APP OR DEVICE AT ALL required for Solo flight.

Are you doing mapping or surveys?
that is the big user reason for using it as the solo app does not offer that
then you get into advanced parameter manipulation, but I tend to not recommend that to new users as you can get in trouble fast there
Excellent... it is a mutually exclusive alternative to the 3DR App - if you need it's features - which 100% of newbs do not.

Thanks pyrate for answering my initial question.

SARDG,
Calm down dude! I didn't NOT take NO for an answer I just didn't fully understand YOUR answer or reason for this app. I can see why so many people lose interest fast in doing new shit like drones when you can't ask simple questions without feeling like you just caused the national power grid failure!!! Thanks for the info and the attitude.

Thanks pyrate for answering my initial question.

SARDG,
Calm down dude! I didn't NOT take NO for an answer I just didn't fully understand YOUR answer or reason for this app. I can see why so many people lose interest fast in doing new shit like drones when you can't ask simple questions without feeling like you just caused the national power grid failure!!! Thanks for the info and the attitude.
But, but, but... 10 posts ago I gave you all the info a reasonable person needs to pursue your dream of flight - with or without Tower. Your question was asked and answered. Sorry, but I just have to expect that the burden of learning has to be shared with the teacher and learner and enough of an answer to point you in the right direction was given in post #45. I actually am an instructor - NRA, and Boating Safety, but I challenge my students to think some things through on there own. TANSTAAFL - There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

And... I'm not a dude, but as pyrate may say "salty", and ex-military. :eek:

Reactions: Chuck and pyrate
I missed the portion of the application process to use this site where it said you had to be a genius or profession pilot to sign up! I must have misread the part where it says it's for everyone to enjoy. Not going to piss back and forth with you! So, sorry for taking any of your time. Enjoy your grumpiness ma'am.

I missed the portion of the application process to use this site where it said you had to be a genius or profession pilot to sign up! I must have misread the part where it says it's for everyone to enjoy. Not going to piss back and forth with you! So, sorry for taking any of your time. Enjoy your grumpiness ma'am.
By chance, did you pull up the Tower app from the Play Store and read about what it is for? It gives a pretty good idea of whether or not it will be needed for the person reading the description of it. Both pyrate and SARDG gave you the short,"forum version" answer to your question, which should have sufficed. Personally, I have owned Solo from the beginning, and now have a second one. I still haven't downloaded Tower, because I just don't need it now. So don't worry about Tower, and just enjoy Solo how it came out of the box. You will have a blast. And FWIW, SARDG wasn't grumpy at all. You will know it when she is......:eek:

Reactions: SARDG
Did you by any chance pull up the Tower app from the Play Store and look into it? It gives a pretty good indication as to whether the person reading it will want or need it at the time. Pyrate and SARDG just gave you the short, "forum answer" to your question, which should have sufficed. Personally, I have had Solo from the beginning, and now have a second one, and still haven't downloaded Tower. I just don't need it for what I am doing. So don't worry about Tower, and just enjoy Solo how it is out of the box. You will have a blast. And, FWIW, SARDG wasn't grumpy. When she is, you will know it.....;):eek: Good luck, and fly safe.

...And FWIW, SARDG wasn't grumpy at all. You will know it when she is......:eek:
...I beg your pardon?

:p

Sometimes I feel like a Drill Instructor, sometimes I feel like a mom, sometimes I feel like a nut - sometimes I don't. :confused:

Reactions: Chuck
No worries. Already lost interest in this hobby! Its always an indicator when out of the gate you get snubbed on an open forum for not being an expert! Already posted all my stuff for sale.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc