New solo DOA??? Help Please :)

Reaction score
Just got an new solo. Did the preflight upgrade, all goes well and it finishes. I get to the final screen and connect. My controller is stuck on waiting for solw.

I know my controller is connected to solo because 1. update performed no problem and 2. When I turn off the controller the drone lights go all red(from white up front and red in back). When I have it turned back on the red lights go away and normal lights resume.

I've factory reset both the controller and drone 3 times and keep getting stuck here.

Orange LED on underside of drone status off flashing slow them ends at solid orange.

Controller only has a red light inside.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

"Orange LED on underside of drone status off flashing slow them ends at solid orange"

There should be no light at all......when everything is paired correctly.......

Follow the instructions in the manual "explicitly" when doing a factory reset.....

I have followed them exactly, and everything goes fine with thr pairing and the updates, both units power cycle. It's after the cycling and the time for them to connect for the final time that things seem to stop working

My top LED are
Solid white (front) and red (back): Ready to fly, standard flight configuration

• If you pressed the Pair button several times, but still aren't seeing the Detected New Solo screen, then try turning off the Controller and listen for the disconnection sound (click Play button below) from the vehicle. If you do hear this sound, Solo and the Controller are already paired. If not, reboot Solo, turn the Controller back on and try pairing again.
I hear the sound and as indicated by the sound they are already paired.

I followed factory reset exactly.

I contacted techsupport but it only let me send a message to a non exsistant chat service?

chat works.

the factory reset procedure talks about orange led meanings.

Does you phone connect to the controller?

Did you hold down pair too long and factory reset the solo but not the controller?

Try removing the battery from the controller for a bit, then restarting.

Is it under warranty from bestbuy? If so and you're 100% certain the update completed, you could try a factory reset and redo the process. you could probably reset safely without issue either way, but i suppose they have all those warning advising against it for a reason.

Yes phone connects to controller, and update goes through all the way to the end.

I've factory reset both the controller and the solo. I keep getting back to the stage where they are both updated with the pre flight update (from the phone) controller restarts, solo flashes all the lights, then stuck on waiting for solo.

So I just did a test, when factory reset, if I don't connect the controller the tiny LED on the bottom just keeps flashing orange then green. As soon as I pair the the controller to the solo the LED goes solid orange. Any ideas?

you may have an issue:

4.) If, when you turn on the Solo, the LED stays solid orange and never turns off, then please submit a ticket to customer support. There is likely a problem with the on-board computer.

5.) If the LED is solid for one second, then dark for 20 seconds, then starts flashing once per second or becomes solid again, then Solo booted up normally and the factory reset never initiated. Try performing a factory reset again. If the factory reset still doesn't start, it is possible that you're not pressing the Pair button correctly (it’s tough!) or it is damaged.​

If you are unable to begin the reset after several attempts, then there could be a hardware problem. Take a look at the little LED indicator lights inside the controller (they are visible through the vents in the back) and report their status to your tech support agent.

• There should be red, green, and orange lights. If the orange light is solid, then there is a problem with the computer onboard the controller. It did not boot up correctly.
  • If there is a red light but no orange or green light, then the computer onboard the controller is not receiving power.
  • If the orange light is flashing twice per second, then the controller should be operating normally and a factory reset should work.
Search the forum and google until you are able to talk to tech support. one previous user found that the SD card in the controller was not seated properly and that' s what fixed it.

you may elect to exchange the solo at best buy, to get you flying sooner

Last edited:
Just got an new solo. Did the preflight upgrade, all goes well and it finishes. I get to the final screen and connect. My controller is stuck on waiting for solw.

That topic was discussed three or four times in the last two weeks. Including when I submitted the same post as you, above. (Search "waiting for solo") I'd say 95% odds are that the microSD card in your controller is loose. Contact 3DR support on CHAT during their business hours, 8AM to 5PM PST. They will walk you through the steps to correct it yourself, if you are brave enough to unscrew and open your controller. It's just a matter of scraping the glue off the microSD card, popping it out just a little bit, then reseating it. After that, you have to do the whole new startup sequence again, but for me it cured all my ails. Good luck!

That topic was discussed three or four times in the last two weeks. Including when I submitted the same post as you, above. (Search "waiting for solo") I'd say 95% odds are that the microSD card in your controller is loose. Contact 3DR support on CHAT during their business hours, 8AM to 5PM PST. They will walk you through the steps to correct it yourself, if you are brave enough to unscrew and open your controller. It's just a matter of scraping the glue off the microSD card, popping it out just a little bit, then reseating it. After that, you have to do the whole new startup sequence again, but for me it cured all my ails. Good luck!

Were you able to go through the whole update process and get them to pair fine and then have them fail after the update? Glad to hear it may be a more simple fix.

Also, could you happen to tell me where to look for the microsd? If it doesnt work im just shipping it back to amazoni and will wait another week to get the new one. Apparently they just backordered.

Were you able to go through the whole update process and get them to pair fine and then have them fail after the update? Glad to hear it may be a more simple fix.

My symptoms were exactly as you described. After I finished reseating the microSD card and screwing the controller back together, I had to do a re-pairing (not repairing) of the Solo and controller, then did the "first time" setup, downloading new firmware and the whole works. After that everything worked perfectly. Too bad, I just threw out the trash yesterday, and with it the PDF instructions that 3DR sent me for doing the fix. It was a little testy scraping off the glue from the microSD card. I used an exacto knife and I was concerned about accidentally cutting something else. But it was a straightforward job and I finished in less than a half hour. A little longer including the new Solo setup.

My symptoms were exactly as you described. After I finished reseating the microSD card and screwing the controller back together, I had to do a re-pairing (not repairing) of the Solo and controller, then did the "first time" setup, downloading new firmware and the whole works. After that everything worked perfectly. Too bad, I just threw out the trash yesterday, and with it the PDF instructions that 3DR sent me for doing the fix. It was a little testy scraping off the glue from the microSD card. I used an exacto knife and I was concerned about accidentally cutting something else. But it was a straightforward job and I finished in less than a half hour. A little longer including the new Solo setup.

Okay so I have the controller open, I see the SD card, I have scraped the glue off, but how the hell do you pop it out and reset it?

Also, could you happen to tell me where to look for the microsd? If it doesnt work im just shipping it back to amazoni and will wait another week to get the new one. Apparently they just backordered.

Hah! Just remembered to look in my download file in the PC. There it was! I'll send it to you in PM because I can't figure out how to insert a PDF into a post. After using these instructions, I believe you just pair the Solo and controller again and do the new setup process. I'm not guaranteeing that, and you'll have to search for the pairing procedure and new setup process on line. That's easy to find. Good luck!

Okay so I have the controller open, I see the SD card, I have scraped the glue off, but how the hell do you pop it out and reset it?

I just sent you the 3DR instructions, but you seem to already be there. You don't have to pop it all the way out. Once you have the glue off, it only needs to spring out a little bit. Just enough so you can press it back in against the spring until it clicks in place. Once you feel it click in place and it doesn't spring out you should be OK. Remember to pair the controller and Solo afterwards. If it doesn't re-set right away, you may want to follow the instructions for re-setting to factory default. It's in the manual. Hopefully that will get you to happiness!

I just sent you the 3DR instructions, but you seem to already be there. You don't have to pop it all the way out. Once you have the glue off, it only needs to spring out a little bit. Just enough so you can press it back in against the spring until it clicks in place. Once you feel it click in place and it doesn't spring out you should be OK. Remember to pair the controller and Solo afterwards. If it doesn't re-set right away, you may want to follow the instructions for re-setting to factory default. It's in the manual. Hopefully that will get you to happiness!

I cant seem to download the PDF you sent, not sure if it has something to do with the website or not. What is the easiest way to remove the SD once glue is removed?

OK, figured out attaching a PDF. Instructions are attached.

Attachments

• 8b79bd257e738c98dadf3152de032440ff67d46b.pdf
    635.5 KB · Views: 60
OK, figured out attaching a PDF. Instructions are attached.

Ill be damned, that sure as hell fixed it. I had to really crank on that SD card to get it to come loose, but as soon as it poped out I put it back in and i am good to go without factory reset!

Now this is very curious. I just got finished putting the screws back in it and now im getting the error again. Have you had any issues like that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo