New Long Range antenna for SOLO

1st flight and it was hurried but all I can say is WOW!! Went 1000' beyond where I have never been able to get to,,,2500' at 150' ALT. I call it "WiFi No Mans Land",,,and was at -62 db and video was perfect, telemetry too!! Started to sprinkle as it has been raining all day but "totally awesome"!. For $100 bucks it makes SOLO perform like a dream "far out". As I was experimenting with aiming I sab db fluctuate between -59 and 62. With practice, anyway. I am thrilled to say the least!
Sweet

You guys do know that polarization matters. Turning that on its side loses 3dbi. So it goes from 8dbi to 5dbi in the 2.4ghz band
Sooo..correct me if I'm wrong, the antennas on solo (the controller and the bird) are vertically polarized? So if I upgrade the units on the controller for something similar just a little higher gain I need the vertically polarized units,correct?

This is true in a perfect world but polarization can get out of phase as it travels based on conditions. I personally have little personal testing experience at these frequencies but Tony at FPVLR will tell you that it really does not matter as its common for them to go from circular polarized to vertical.

If you have an interest in that you might drop Tony a message. I am more of a low bander. These tiny little antennas perplex me o_O

Sooo..correct me if I'm wrong, the antennas on solo (the controller and the bird) are vertically polarized? So if I upgrade the units on the controller for something similar just a little higher gain I need the vertically polarized units,correct?

I am by no means an expert, but polarization of a signal is not only a property of the antenna design and construction (and ultimately the electric field generated by the antenna), but it is also affected by the antenna's physical orientation in space. Solo's antennas are whip antennas - held roughly vertically in the legs and if following instructions, roughly vertically on the controller. This maintains the roughly vertical polarization on both ends.

Signal reception degrades as you lose polarization, with "a loss of 20 or more dB at 90 degrees" (e.g. pairing a horizontal and vertical antenna held in space at exactly right angles to each other). This is why matching polarization is a simple way to maximize your signal strength.

A problem for us, is that Solo is moving around - rocking the antennas as we accelerate and decelerate while flying. We also are moving the controller in our hands. This will cause shifts in the signals, making reception less than ideal. Not a big deal if Solo is close by. But in some cases, if you're at your range limit, it's enough to contribute to you losing connection completely.

In satellite communications, the movement of the satellite also causes issues with signal reception. Circular polarization (CP) has been used to overcome some of these issues. Others have used CP antennas in FPV applications with success. The FPVLR, among others (cloverleaf, skew planar etc.) is a CP antenna by design.

Depending on the construction of the antenna, the circular polarization may or may not be near perfect. You can get almost linear or even elliptical radiation patterns and anything in between. When it comes to measuring how well the antenna maintains it's circular polarization, they use the "axial ratio" to measure this property. Using 2 antennas with excellent circular polarization will theoretically get you better results.

Here's a couple links I found that might help:

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/antennas/basics/polarisation-polarization.php

http://www.astronwireless.com/topic-archives-antennas-polarization.asp

New to drones, new to the forum and read this whole thread. I snagged the Alfa and the cable from amazon; should be arriving by the 21st. Read the post about polarity and wanting to keep the Alfa orientated vertically. Is there anything else that I missed or any other good advice that you all can suggest? I plan on using 1 Alfa and 1 stock antenna. Thanks!
I'm new to drones as well. Bought the Alfa and cable. As it turned out you don't need the cable. Alpha will screw right on to the stock antenna mount. I don't know much or anything about polarization. I pointed the antenna down and out just like they recommend for the stock antenna and got great results. Stock went out 340 meters before signal went red. One Alpha one stock went 500 metes. Then flew it out to 900 meters without losing signal. Can't see the bird at that distance. Hadn't seen it since just over 500 meters got nervous so I hit RTH. For now one alpha and one stock gives me plenty of range and great video.

Reactions: SteveReno
My alfas are on the way now, since FPVLR cannot be shipped outside the states!

ok so up or down is the question. i tried up and that seems to work better. did lose signal today briefly at 1200 ft. but did make it across the river
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
or should i run one stock?

Should be going further than that - FPVLR does and the Alphas are supposed to be better.

Is that France Road Wharf?

Should be going further than that - FPVLR does and the Alphas are supposed to be better.

Is that France Road Wharf?
Yes I believe it is. 2200 feet is far enough for me. I can barely see my bird. I tried 2000 ft at 200ft today. It lost signal at that point. Antenna pointed down and out with Alfa.

Went over 3500' with the Itelite today. Quite a few wifi signals to compete with and quite a few trees. It should do well over a mile in the open country.

Went over 3500' with the Itelite today. Quite a few wifi signals to compete with and quite a few trees. It should do well over a mile in the open country.
...and you could still see your drone at 3500'?

Went to 6500' today over the unpopulated swamps of Florida. Lost sight of it around 4000'. Still didn't auto RTH.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea