New Long Range antenna for SOLO

Im still unclear as to which antenna is which. Is one TX and one RX and or is this MiMo technology/OFDM where both are transmitting and bot receiving using spacial diversity? If thats the case this panel on one antenna is hurting you not helping you. If its strictly one TX and on RX then you could be onto something. But which antenna is which. As the Panel antenna would need to be on the Transmitter of course.

Im still unclear as to which antenna is which. Is one TX and one RX and or is this MiMo technology/OFDM where both are transmitting and bot receiving using spacial diversity? If thats the case this panel on one antenna is hurting you not helping you. If its strictly one TX and on RX then you could be onto something. But which antenna is which. As the Panel antenna would need to be on the Transmitter of course.
It's Mimo

From what I've read from others, Mimo, unlike diversity, benefits from having the same antennas. This being said, there are some who use 2 different types of antennas with good results.

For those interested in a little more range at little cost I would suggest the $23 Alfa APA-M25 dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz 10dBi high gain directional indoor panel antenna with RP-SMA connector at Amazon. I have been using it for several weeks now and I'm very pleased. Yesterday evening I went out a mile and still had a bar left and did not RTH. That was far enough for me for right now. I'm sure it would go farther but I just don't have the need for it yet.

You will need the $6 12"/30cm Male to Female RP-SMA Extension Cable to connect it to the controller. I bought some small velcro circles for under $3 at Wally world to mount it to the controller.

Links below if you are interested. I'm sure the DBS and FPVLR antennas are superior and I will upgrade when I need to go farther.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1PA9EO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPG4A3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
I bought one of these to try. Finally got out tonight. With stock I got out 340 meters (1100 feet) when signal turned red. Put the alpha on and got 500 meters (1640 feet). Then I thought I would see how far it would go. No bars and red I went out 900 meters (2952 feet). Got nervous and hit RTH. Took a while before I could see Solo but RTH worked perfectly. For $23 bucks it was great. Thanks for the post.

Reactions: aggravated...
I bought one of these to try. Finally got out tonight. With stock I got out 340 meters (1100 feet) when signal turned red. Put the alpha on and got 500 meters (1640 feet). Then I thought I would see how far it would go. No bars and red I went out 900 meters (2952 feet). Got nervous and hit RTH. Took a while before I could see Solo but RTH worked perfectly. For $23 bucks it was great. Thanks for the post.

Excellent, I'm glad it has helped you out. Something I like about the upgraded antenna whether it be the Alfa or the longer distance one like FPVLR is that you may not need to go that far out all the time but it is nice to have the stronger signal strength for near flights.

ok so the question for me is , should i get the fpvlr or the dbsmod?
I have not tested the dbsmod but I can say the FPVLR lives up to it's name. I've heard good things about both of them though. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

should i do the wifi card update first?
I didn't need to do that. The Alfa increased my distance nicely and the only reason I upgraded to FPVLR is because I'm going to an event where restrictions such as height and distance has been eased by the FAA and I want to be able to take advantage of the fact.

Just got it. Bought the antenna that is for the P3 from DBS MODS. Extremely light weight, high quality and the mounting to the SOLO controller was simple. Hardly know it's there. Iv'e been told it's been tested out to 2 1/2 miles with a good signal and Live Video feed. View attachment 430

View attachment 432

http://dbsmods.com/

Can't wait to try it!

What was the fitting procedure? can someone with zero technical experience do it? Did it come with instructions - This mod looks awesome and I'd like to do it.

New to drones, new to the forum and read this whole thread. I snagged the Alfa and the cable from amazon; should be arriving by the 21st. Read the post about polarity and wanting to keep the Alfa orientated vertically. Is there anything else that I missed or any other good advice that you all can suggest? I plan on using 1 Alfa and 1 stock antenna. Thanks!

Can someone answer the post about mounting the DBS MOD unit? Also, there are amps available but they seem to require supplemental power. Anyone have a suggestion or experience adding and powering those?

somewhere on one of theese posts there is pictures and discusion about modifying the mount that comes with the DBS Mods antenna to fit the Solo.
the mount that comes with it is designed for the DJI Phantom 3.
it can be modified to fit the solo.
you can also attach the plate with Velcro or double sided stickey tape.
Good luck

Can someone answer the post about mounting the DBS MOD unit? Also, there are amps available but they seem to require supplemental power. Anyone have a suggestion or experience adding and powering those?
The DBSMod unit is actually for the Phantom but works fine with Solo. It comes with a bracket which is made for mounting to the DJI controller.
I did not use the bracket and just put Velcro on the back of the panel and attached to panel to the Solo Tablet mount bracket. Very easy installation, easy on and off.

As far as the amped version, it takes a small external battery as a power source.
IMG_20150816_093753746.jpg

1st flight and it was hurried but all I can say is WOW!! Went 1000' beyond where I have never been able to get to,,,2500' at 150' ALT. I call it "WiFi No Mans Land",,,and was at -62 db and video was perfect, telemetry too!! Started to sprinkle as it has been raining all day but "totally awesome"!. For $100 bucks it makes SOLO perform like a dream "far out". As I was experimenting with aiming I sab db fluctuate between -59 and 62. With practice, anyway. I am thrilled to say the least!
What antenna where you using ?

1st flight and it was hurried but all I can say is WOW!! Went 1000' beyond where I have never been able to get to,,,2500' at 150' ALT. I call it "WiFi No Mans Land",,,and was at -62 db and video was perfect, telemetry too!! Started to sprinkle as it has been raining all day but "totally awesome"!. For $100 bucks it makes SOLO perform like a dream "far out". As I was experimenting with aiming I sab db fluctuate between -59 and 62. With practice, anyway. I am thrilled to say the least!
What antenna where you using ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc